General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Jul-16 11:57:42
Print Post

NOW TV?

[link to this post]

What's the difference between NOW TV and Sky broadband? Assume they use the same infrastructure - but you get a month to month contract with NOW(including for FTTC), why would someone lock themselves into a longer contract with Sky FTTC?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Jul-16 13:39:25
Print Post

Re: NOW TV?

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

Suspect it may be a case of Sky pushing NOW TV + broadband as a product for now, and in time there differences may be less.

If the NOW TV box needs to returned when you exit monthly contract while not legally in a long contract, once people get used to using the NOW TV for both Sky and other content they will want to retain it, and I see this offer as testing that theory.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jul-16 14:28:10
Print Post

Sky FTTC is cheaper for one, at 10pm for 12 months on offers, with free setup.

Now TV is 18pm for fibre and £40 setup.

Basically the same product though yes.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User meldrew
(experienced) Wed 20-Jul-16 09:22:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Most other streamers run the Now TV App so there is no real need for a separate box if you already have an internet connection.
Standard User nadger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Jul-16 10:02:02
Print Post

[re: meldrew] [link to this post]

Having trialed both of them I do have both NowTV black box and the new smart box. As one can't use them to access Netflix or Amazon my main connection is via a Roku HDMI Streaming Stick.
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Aug-16 06:37:36
Print Post

Since I'm not quite ready to commit to another 12 or 18 month contract(Plusnet leaver) I just signed up for NowTV (Super Fibre, PAYG calls, Entertainment pass) on a month to month basis - used TopCashback which should track around £84(update - tracked and pending at £84). It's pretty much the same price as Plusnet(after discounts etc) so no real penalty and lots of freedom.

Unusual fibre/phone contract terms here - http://imgur.com/a/5ooC8 wink

Edited by Spud2003 (Sat 06-Aug-16 06:46:28)

Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 26-Aug-16 15:04:55
Print Post

So I'm now on NOW TV, no problems - now have IPv6 which I didn't have with Plusnet, BQM graphs for IPv6 and IPv4 below -

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/c97759de8f7...

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/5792a81f6db...

I've found their Northern Irish(?) customer service fine with little or no waiting(much quicker than Plusnet) on both account management and broadband help(online chat link wasn't immediately obvious but it is there if you know where to look).

On the issue of customer service I did wonder whether I was getting good service simply because they are a new venture with fewer users, but on the other hand it is in their interests to offer good CS because I'm on a monthly fibre contract and am free to leave if they so much as cough the wrong way. Makes me wonder, have 18 and 12 month contracts changed companies' attitudes to customer service, would BT offer the same quality of poor CS if its customers were on monthly contracts?

Anyway, so far so good. smile
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 30-Aug-16 22:59:05
Print Post

[re: meldrew] [link to this post]

I am having to watch nowtv on my xbox360, the windows 8 app is broken (at least on my pc).

They still stuck in the stone age not supporting html5, so to watch in a browser one needs to use firefox (or IE I assume) and silverlight.

I am not keeping nowtv tho, I just using the free trial then thats it. I think its a poor service, no subtitles and lack oi options.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 31-Aug-16 15:25:09
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

App works OK on my Windows 10 system ... but I don't use it much, app also works fine on my Roku too. They threw in a month of Sky Sport for free(my standard package is just entertainment).

I actually don't watch much TV, I was just interested in getting off Plusnet's network and a monthly contract at a comparable price(TopCashback is still offering around £80 I believe).
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 31-Aug-16 15:46:01
Print Post

I think it's the same call centre as Sky btw.

I have always found Sky CS to be leagues better than BT and TalkTalk. I am glad you are happy.
  Print Thread

Jump to