General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jdw112
(newbie) Tue 26-Jul-16 15:59:57
Print Post

Looking for better alternative

[link to this post]

I am located in Tampa FL. We do have FIOS in my area but unfortunately it was recently sold from Verizon to Frontier Communications. If you are not familiar with Frontier consider yourself lucky. I have never ran into a more poorly run organization of this size. Previously we had Verizon Fios for as long as I can remember and they were EXCELLENT. But since Frontier took over it's been nothing but problems from service related issues to slower speeds to useless "customer service."

Anyway I didn't come here to complain, I am in need of a better ISP. After this mess, we are ready to cut the cord but we still need a good and reliable ISP to get this done. Unfortunately our current provider is the only FIOS provider in our area. I know technology is always advancing and I am certainly not up on all current tech so I would like some input on if there's anything else that would compare to the speeds we get from FIOS (when it's working) on a different platform.

It is my understanding that the only options in my area are:
Frontier Communications (current ISP and very bad)
Charter (just bought out Brighthouse and is DSL)

Neither of these options are very good and Frontier is the only one with FIOS. I am open to other suggestions, maybe there's another provider I'm not aware of or new technology on the horizon. Please help me get out from under this horrible Frontier Communication company. I am afraid that as bad as they are they are still the best option in my area when they are working.
Standard User mark_b
(regular) Tue 26-Jul-16 17:45:50
Print Post

Re: Looking for better alternative

[re: jdw112] [link to this post]

This forum is for UK based internet service providers. You're unlikely to find anyone who can answer your questions here.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Jul-16 19:11:35
Print Post

This is a UK forum, so unlikely to get too much help.

I would avoid the bog standard DSL connection though.

Not sure how it works in the US, although I do hear that one provider can often get the market share in a whole area as there's often not competition... If true, that really does suck.

Over here, the infrastructure is owned by a company called openreach, and every service provider (bar one) uses that infrastructure. The internet service provider just pays openreach to use the line. This means we have one set of infrastructure, with often 5+ internet providers able to provide a service down that very same line. So you can easily switch to an alternative provider, they just take over the same line, and pay openreach line rental.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 26-Jul-16 19:12:12)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Jul-16 07:32:21
Print Post

From the small amount I know of the market in the US I doubt there are any better options available to you and probably unlikely to be as most areas seem to have monopoly suppliers.

The only alternative likely to be easily available is satellite which would almost certainly be much worse than your current supply. As far as future tech fibre is currently about the best available - your poor performance is probably not to do with the connection to your house but lack of investment in the rest of the Frontier network and in their customer support/services infrastructure.

The US market seems not to encourage competition and local loops are often owned by a single supplier and are not regulated or wholesaled. That is very different to the UK market (although plenty of people complain about the UK market and think that the US market is a panacea of excellent services - your post highlights that things aren't necessarily good in the states and very much depend on where you live).
Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Wed 27-Jul-16 08:47:55
Print Post

It must be Ground Hog Day , there was an almost identical post here within the last 4-6 weeks.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 27-Jul-16 09:53:48
Print Post

[re: AdrianPH] [link to this post]

Are you thinking of this post? It seems the nearest in the last 12 months when searching for Verizon or FIOS. But it's completely different.

Searching for Tampa or Frontier gives nothing.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57791/14021kbps @ 600m. - BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to