General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Lordylord
(newbie) Fri 26-Aug-16 16:40:42
Print Post

Post Office can't improve my 0.48mbps, where now?

[link to this post]

Having put up with the hopeless Post Office Broadband for 10 years, their recent price rises prompted me to actually question the value of service I receive. Having done their checks they have confirmed they can't improve the 0.48mbps I receive at peak times. I never get more than 1mbps.

I have to leave but I am terrified that I will just swop one bad ISP for another. I live in a rural area, but very near to the telephone exchange. I see it can run ADSL Max, but nothing more. Checking on this website it appears 2 neighbours receive in the region of 6mbps, which I would just love.

How do I select my next ISP, when all seem to have bad reviews, and always use the caveat of 'up to 8mbps'?

I can post the location of my telephone exchange if it helps?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 26-Aug-16 17:39:43
Print Post

Re: Post Office can't improve my 0.48mbps, where now?

[re: Lordylord] [link to this post]

Two things you can post please smile

The URL of the results from this checker. That tells us some details about the exchange. Though maybe you have seen that it could still be useful. There may be extra info available to some people here.

Then this checker please. Either upload a screenshot with your phone number or address just above the table blanked out, or copy and paste that line edited the same way and the contents of the table. Don't worry too much about the horizontal formatting but if there's lots of blank lines it would help if you take those out smile.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Aug-16 18:14:54
Print Post

The Post Office are notoriously bad for this... You do right to move on smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Fri 26-Aug-16 21:46:40
Print Post

The fact is that, if you change nothing, you will get the same service over the same telephone line from every ISP, unless you can switch to someone like Virgin Media or another ISP that don't use BTs network.

If you only get 1mbps maximum ever, then that's probably what your line is synced at. Moving ISP won't change that.

There are 4 possible reasons for your low speed:

1. Your line is long. Just because you're physically near the exchange, does not mean your line does not take a massive diversion on the way. In this case you are screwed.
2. There is a fault - this is where choosing the right ISP can help you.
3. There is something inside or outside your house generating a lot of electrical noise, possibly only intermittently, that has forced your line to a very conservative DLM profile. This may be very difficult to resolve.
4. You have issues with your internal wiring, that are down to you to resolve, changing ISP won't help.

As RobertoS says, we need stats from the places he has linked, but be aware, that there may be more to this than changing ISPs!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 26-Aug-16 23:51:05
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

The capacity the Post Office have contracted for with TT Business Wholesale is clearly inadequate, as MrSaffron has said he can see from speed test results and as many of us are aware of from numerous complaints on these forums.

Bad enough on a TT LLU exchange, where TT Retail is fine. Dreadful on a non-LLU one where TT Retail was always appalling. Paying BT Wholesale for adequate backhaul/handover didn't fit into their business model, which is why they stopped selling it.

We need the data I asked for to see which of those cases applies, as it makes a difference to what we can recommend.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Lordylord
(newbie) Sat 27-Aug-16 10:20:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hello

Wow, thanks for all your really useful tips. I thought there would be more to this than just swopping one ISP for another.

Here's the broadband checker info copy and pasted...

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number 01494 on Exchange THE LEE
ADSL Products
Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Downstream Range(Mbps)
Availability Date
Left in Jumper

ADSL Max Up to 8 -- 7 to 8 Available -- --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --
For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.
This line is on a Market A Exchange.
Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.
The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014.
If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check

And the URL for the samknows website is...

https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SMTL

Thank you in advance for any help you can give. It'll be great for your knowledgable input because believe me to a layman this stuff is really complicated and confusing!
Standard User Lordylord
(newbie) Sat 27-Aug-16 11:01:07
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

Hi, some further info in relation to Nemeth 782's points...

There are 4 possible reasons for your low speed:

1. Your line is long. Just because you're physically near the exchange, does not mean your line does not take a massive diversion on the way. In this case you are screwed.

I think the line is long. The wiring from the exchange to the houses is overground from pole to pole in a very messy haphazard looking way, so even though I am probably little more than 100m from the exchange the cabling is far longer.

2. There is a fault - this is where choosing the right ISP can help you.

That's why I contacted the Post Office and was shocked when they did absolutely nothing to help discover if there is a fault. They just said that's it and if you want to leave then off you go!

3. There is something inside or outside your house generating a lot of electrical noise, possibly only intermittently, that has forced your line to a very conservative DLM profile. This may be very difficult to resolve.

The modem used to be connected to a phone line extension and stored in a media centre surrounded by the television, phone, blue ray, games machines etc! Thinking this all was the reason for my slow speeds, I disconnected the modem and moved it upstairs and connected it to the BT master socket.

Interestingly when I moved it to the master socket and away from interference it recorded a huge increase in speed. I did a speed test and it shot up to something like 3 Mbps. I thought I'd cracked it, but by the next time I'd logged on the speed was back sub 1mbps and no better than before.

I don't know what a conservative DLM profile is, or how it's caused. But I wonder if I have one! My wife used to insist on switching the modem/router off every night so as not to fry the children's brains with wifi. I have read this can cause the ISP to reduce your speed. So I bought an airport express and plugged it in to the modem. So now the modem is left on permanently, and she can turn the wifi off independently.

Furthermore, the modem is an older Belkin modem/router. It's about 10 years old, but it's rated to 54 Mbps and an ADSL +2 modem so I didn't think that would be the cause of the slow speed.

4. You have issues with your internal wiring, that are down to you to resolve, changing ISP won't help.

The phone line is attached to an upstairs wall and the BT master socket is immediately on the other side of the wall, so the internal wiring between the two is a matter of inches, and the modem is now connected to that. So I don't think it is the internal wiring?

Thank you so much for all of those pointers, I hadn't realised all of the potential variables I need to explore.
Standard User TheEulerID
(experienced) Sat 27-Aug-16 11:06:43
Print Post

A few very useful things that would help establish just how fast your line is capable of running. Your

1) an stats from your current modem/router, especially those mentioning attenuation, noise margin, and snyc speed in both upstream and downstream directions (terminology may vary). Virtually all modem/routers have a page on the administration screen with this data. Often with names like WAN diagnostics or similar. If you can cut & paste these it helps enormously

2) how is your internal phone wiring organised? If you have a single master socket with no extension it's simple, but if you have multiple extensions (even if they have microfilters) it that can heavily degrade the speed at which your line can run. There are ways to optimise this (some simple, some more complex) and if you have an NTE5 master socket there is a way of testing which eliminates the impact of home-wiring so the basic performance of your line can be characterised.

You might also like to try the BT Wholesale availability checker. As you haven't got a BT line I don't think the number part will work, but there's a postcode and address checker too (not as accurate, but still helpful).

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s...

Also, in ordering a service, any ISP should give you a speed estimate as part of the code of conduct and not just the "up to" figure that they advertise.
Standard User TheEulerID
(experienced) Sat 27-Aug-16 11:09:15
Print Post

Is that you only extension or are there others? Even if they are unused they can cause a lot of degradation of the signal. (The implication is that there are).

nb. see my other post, but the line stats page off your belkin modem would be extremely useful.

Edited by TheEulerID (Sat 27-Aug-16 11:30:08)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 27-Aug-16 11:26:16
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

While using the master socket the wiring can still be having an effect, can you check what speed the modem says it connects at when using the test socket?

If the connection speed is better then look at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/radsl.htm... and remove the ring wire which may improve thing once the wiring is all back together.

NOTE: Any improvements in connection speed are not obvious on speed tests when using the IPStream for between a few hours and a few days due to the way the old profile system works, so you need to be looking at the connection speed data from the modem.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to