General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User aldredd
(regular) Mon 07-Nov-16 10:53:21
Print Post

First Utility Fibre Offering - Couple of Watchouts

[link to this post]

Hi there,
as a customer of First Utility, I've recently been informed that's they've now started offering broadband packages.

Their packages look attractive and well priced... 76 down / 20 up for £34.99 per month including line rental. (and other packages available too)

I gave them a call to find out a little more, but there are a few watchouts...

The router is Technicolour TG588v2 (the same one used by Plusnet, I think), and not all that great for heavy users.

It's an 18 month term

Importantly, though, it's tied explicitly to your energy account. If you leave them as your energy provider, they terminate your broadband and you have to pay the relevant early termination fees.

Perhaps this isn't that uncommon, but not something I've come across before, so thought it worth flagging in case anyone else was looking at them.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 07-Nov-16 11:10:29
Print Post

Re: First Utility Fibre Offering - Couple of Watchouts

[re: aldredd] [link to this post]

They've been offering ADSL2+ broadband for over a year. Perhaps this is their first FTTC.

The one site I've looked at doesn't look encouraging about CS on the ADSL2+.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 07-Nov-16 11:10:53)

Standard User aldredd
(regular) Mon 07-Nov-16 11:45:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I've been pretty happy as an energy company, but the hard-link to your energy account was enough to put me off.

Especially as BT offered to upgrade me from infinity1 to infinity2 for £33 p/m all in (Same as I'm paying for infinity1), and 3 months before end of my current term.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 07-Nov-16 11:58:02
Print Post

Do you get over 50Mbps now?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 07-Nov-16 11:58:35)

Standard User aldredd
(regular) Mon 07-Nov-16 12:17:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I've been getting around 51-52 with Inifinity1 since they increased it, so should hopefully benefit from the increase.

Hoping to get improved upload speeds too, currently get 8-9, but do a lot of uploading, and can be a bit of a bottleneck!
Standard User JWoodrow
(newbie) Thu 13-Apr-17 12:10:40
Print Post

Hi, I just wanted to make it clear that First Utility Broadband is NOT explicitly tied to your Energy account. At present you can only sign up to First Utility Broadband if you are an Energy customer, this will be changing in the very near future. However, if you choose to leave First Utility for energy, your broadband would NOT be terminated - customers leaving energy will simply lose their energy discount - the broadband service would continue to work as normal. The price list has the details - www.first-utility.com/broadband/pricing
  Print Thread

Jump to