General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wutr
(newbie) Thu 17-Nov-16 14:52:14
Print Post

Re: FTTC 80/20 options

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

I see what you're saying eckiedoo. It's difficult to know my line speeds for sure as the line is not connected. Do Openreach use actual line length in their address checker, or an estimate?
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Nov-16 15:36:42
Print Post

[re: wutr] [link to this post]

For FTTC, it is only the final length from the (old) PCP to your location, plus the normally short (new) length from the FTTC to that PCP that carry the VDSL signals.

Unfortunately, whilst the FTTC to PCP length can usually be judged accurately by yourself, because of the close proximity and new or recent trenching/ducting signs, the PCP to House distance is much more difficult to work out, as it is not generally published.

Superficially, that PCP to my house looks reasonably that it is around 40 Metres, I know from assisting a BT technician to clean up my line on Dial-Up back in the late 1980s, that it is about 250 M long - greenfield site in 1967!

My line is totally underground, only having some "visibility" at the PCP and again as a very small junction block, on the foundations of another house, about 125 M away, in the wrong direction.

Remaking the connections on that junction box, cleared that 1980s fault.

If that final "D-side" line is overhead, you should be able to get a good idea, including any verticals up and down poles, walls etc.

As a first pass, I would allow at least 1.5 times the straight-line distance, if there are no other signs; but would have fallen far short in my own case.

------------

There is a site that gives various forecasts for performance, both ADSL and XDSL - but I can't remember its URL at present. Possibly someone else will recognise and provide it. It is the one that gives the nominal VDSL speed and the likely speed, on an address basis, thus avoiding your lack of number problem.

Personally, I would tend to go for a lower speed contract; but I don't know what happens if you later upgrade it with the same ISP. I mention this from reading on this site the problems that several have had trying to change ISPs in an attempt to improve their Broadband.

They have ended up losing their VDSL and going to the back of any queue waiting to upgrade etc.
Standard User wutr
(newbie) Thu 17-Nov-16 17:17:54
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
[...]

I do think however that one has to be wary when choosing the package in terms of speed, no matter the potential ISP.

You got me thinking there. BT's current offer on infinity 1, as mentioned before, does provide unbelievable value for money at the moment, even more so with cashback. It also has IPv6 and a 12 month contract. However upload speed is 10mbps (or 9.5 if you fancy).

Any further thoughts on this particular ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Thu 17-Nov-16 19:27:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
EE are owned by BT tongue. Have been for a few years.

Well this year
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Thu 17-Nov-16 19:30:03
Print Post

Only my experience on being on Infinity 2 for a year. I had congestion but BT moved me onto another pipe within a day - that was the only time I had an issue.

got full speed 24/7
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Nov-16 19:31:44
Print Post

Not really.

I have been with Freeserve/Orange/Wanadoo/EE throughout from about 1997, generally satisfied etc.

My experiences with BT and SKY have been very limited, to when visiting that daughter; and SKY only when visiting a grand-daughter, so only really what has been mentioned mainly on TBB.

Given that I have a medium speed contract, I am continually taken aback how often I read that apparently faster contracts are working out in practice to be slower and/or less reliable by the various postings I read.

It is a difficult choice; and in practice only time will tell.

I haven't checked back; but in the past couple of days, there has been a posting on TBB, where that person had dropped from an 80 Mbps contract to 55(?), getting a speed increase from 13 Mbps to 16 Mbps, probably due to only the lower group of VDSL channels being used, with probably fewer losses.

As I have no need for 80 Mbps and little need even for 40, I only upgraded as I had expected the local FTTC cabinet to be quickly fully occupied. I haven't been able to get an accurate check recently; but my guestimate is that there are about 75 to 80 actual upgrades out of 96 fully equipped links, against a maximum of 288 in the Huawei 288 FTTC cabinet, since March 2014 when it was Released For Service.

The associated PCP apparently has 287 working phone lines through it, so only about 25% actual upgrades, generally in line with BT's published figures.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 17-Nov-16 19:45:56
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
Well this year
That's the mobile network. We are talking about the landline phone and broadband network that was Orange LLU.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Thu 17-Nov-16 20:16:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
Well this year
That's the mobile network. We are talking about the landline phone and broadband network that was Orange LLU.

True True, Ma bad
Standard User wutr
(newbie) Thu 17-Nov-16 21:50:14
Print Post

At this point I think it's time to narrow it down.

The shortlist has come to this:
  1. TalkTalk Residential
  2. Plusnet
  3. BT infinity 1 (honourable mention for value, lower speeds, but IPv6)

Based on value, as quality seems to boil down to customer service with the ISPs in my list. Does anyone have any useful information on TalkTalk or plusnet in particular?
Standard User jaydub
(experienced) Fri 18-Nov-16 00:39:20
Print Post

In theory Plusnet will give you the best customer service, See here.

However I'd check the forum on this site, as it doesn't seem anything to write home about.

You are looking at the cheaper end of the market, so customer service isn't going to be great from any of them. Having said that the majority of people don't have any issues and therefore the quality of the customer service doesn't make that much difference.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to