General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wutr
(newbie) Mon 21-Nov-16 21:05:43
Print Post

TalkTalk vs Plusnet

[link to this post]

Following on from this topic "FTTC 80/20 options" I would like some help deciding between TalkTalk (residential) and Plusnet FTTC 80/20. I'm keeping options open regarding budget and premium ISPs, but only one of these two can be on the shortlist.

In common (cons):
  • Subpar customer service either due to lack of technical knowhow and following scripts or long waiting times
  • No support for IPv6
  • House move requires either ending the contract (termination fees) or agreeing on a new contract
  • 18 month contract

Plusnet:

TalkTalk (residential):
  • Network appears solid
  • Includes SIM with 500mb data, unlimited texts and 200minutes
  • Static IP not possible

Will Plusnet solve their network issues? Am I going to have problems trying to migrate to TalkTalk or away from them in the future? Any advice is appreciated!

If you would like to comment on, or recommend another ISP please could you do so in the other topic.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 21-Nov-16 21:35:16
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk vs Plusnet

[re: wutr] [link to this post]

sky have recently lowered their 80/20 price and have native ipv6 working.
however they do not offer static ipv4 anymore like they used to.

sky have a very stable network in my opinion.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User georgelnx
(regular) Tue 22-Nov-16 09:57:14
Print Post

More cons for Plusnet

1. Cannot change Direct Debit date to suit, it will always be set to the day your first service starts (phone or broadband)
2. Anything goes wrong or changes in the order process, it is highly unlikely they will tell you. It will just fail and you will find out the hard way.
3. Yearly advance phone rental payments are not refundable for any unused part.
4. Plusnet webmail is either slow or total stop and has been for a long time. They class it as "free" and not mentioned in the T&C's, so show a massive disinterest in keeping it running.
5. Billing system is "ancient" and if you get problems, they have issues fixing them. Also very slow to refund (10 working days) for their mistakes, very quick to disconnect your internet if the Direct Debit fails (next day).
6. Never change banks as their billing system will, more than often not, not handle the changing source of the DD, so see item 5 as a disconnection will happen.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Nov-16 10:22:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by wutr:
No support for IPv6.
Plusnet have notified their IPv6 triallists that the service will break in the near future due to the decision to retire their older gateways upon which the current IPv6 setup depends. In due course, I presume that they will come up with an IPv6 configuration for their newer gateways and will progress towards a live service, but you cannot expect IPv6 on Plusnet for the foreseeable future.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User wutr
(newbie) Tue 22-Nov-16 12:49:32
Print Post

[re: georgelnx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by georgelnx:
More cons for Plusnet
[...]

Thanks, that's really helpful info that Plusnet will (obviously) not tell you.

In reply to a post by David_W:
Plusnet have notified their IPv6 triallists that the service will break in the near future due to the decision to retire their older gateways upon which the current IPv6 setup depends. [...]but you cannot expect IPv6 on Plusnet for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for that, I didn't know that was the current state.
Standard User Alucidnation
(learned) Mon 19-Dec-16 17:23:12
Print Post

[re: georgelnx] [link to this post]

Why are Plusnet soooo bad?

I mean its not like they haven't got the clout to get things sorted.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Mon 19-Dec-16 17:36:14
Print Post

[re: Alucidnation] [link to this post]

You get what you pay for?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 19-Dec-16 17:59:10
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

A cynic might suggest that BT Consumer (Retail) need there to be an ISP guaranteed to be worse that they are [chuckle].

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/16208Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Dec-16 19:33:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I notice in another thread, that Plusnet no longer give help for the re-badged HomeHubs they supply. It does seem that BT are tightening their hold.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Dec-16 09:47:10
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

So who provides the help for these devices?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to