General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User alloneword
(regular) Wed 07-Dec-16 18:28:59
Print Post

Cheap, basic ISP needed (may switch landline as well)

[link to this post]

So first thing to explain is i have few options as far as ISP technology is concerned, ADSL2+ is my ONLY option, no cable/no fibre/no 4G/no Wi-Fi no nothing and yes i live in Central London, in fact i could hit canary wharf with a ball bearing and a catapult and that is no joke, I have even tried Relish and nothing so my options are very limited.

Having said that i have been with plusnet for about 3 years and apart from poor speed they have been ok, oh and apart from one person minding the phone lines, when will they learn?

So i have had enough and want out, my phone line is with BT on something called BT Basic at a cost of £15.30 a quarter and my plusnet ADSL is £13.50 a month so a quarterly total of £55.80, while on the phone to plusnet they tried to upsell me to a landline as well, normally i'd be against this but given they offered me a monthly deal of £20 and this was for both line rental and ADSL, so not much more then BT Basic and normal ADSL package.

However i don't like the way i was treated by Plusnet and money is not everything i'm looking at other option, i need a no fancy unlimited ADSL deal and line rental if it can be kept about £20 a month, I do NOT want TalkTalk or Sky other than that i'm open to suggestions, Happy to sign 18 month contract as i can't see me getting anything better round here in the next 18 months but don't want to go over that period if poss, if you need any other info from me just let me know.

All1
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 07-Dec-16 19:08:37
Print Post

Re: Cheap, basic ISP needed (may switch landline as well)

[re: alloneword] [link to this post]

Pretty hard to beat the price you are paying now, in fact cannot think of any provider under £20/m at present.

PlusNet was doing an £18/m (packages are advertised with line rental inclusive now) offer for a while for new customers.

Vodafone might be an option but that is £22/month http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/vodafone/package/1...

People like Pulse8 are a fav amongst some, but would be £19/m if you staying with the BT Basic, or £25/m with everything via them. Zen Internet (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/zen/package/42.html) is another smaller name, £15.40/m if you have line rental elsewhere or £26.99/m as a package.

The PlusNet offer would not have been £20/m for life, but would have increased a fair bit after the 12 or 18 month minimum term, and that would not be pretty.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-Dec-16 23:54:37
Print Post

Pulse8 £25 line and unlimited Broadband. No contract tie in at all. Calls around 1p per minute, no call connection fee and per second billing, so you could save on calls.
https://pulse8broadband.co.uk/

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User alloneword
(regular) Thu 08-Dec-16 00:50:49
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
Pulse8 £25 line and unlimited Broadband. No contract tie in at all. Calls around 1p per minute, no call connection fee and per second billing, so you could save on calls.
https://pulse8broadband.co.uk/

Yea that is something i noticed when i spoke to them they wanted 19 pence per connection which i thought was steep, i will check then out now

All1
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 08-Dec-16 00:58:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by alloneword:
...when i spoke to them they wanted 19 pence per connection which i thought was steep, i
That sounds like a misunderstanding by them of the question you were asking. They have zero call setup charges. BT Retail on a normal rental have 19p outside their call plans?

Unless, I wonder if what Pulse8 said to you was more like "blah blah instead of 19p per connection" and you misheard?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/15336kbps @ 600m. - IPv4-BQM, IPv6-BQM
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Thu 08-Dec-16 10:03:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well BT Basic is for people on benefits. It's a good helping hand and I am pleased to see they do not limit people to the 12GB BT Basic package.

Maybe BT will do the OP a deal taking the Basic into consideration without the cap.
Standard User Mml
(newbie) Thu 08-Dec-16 10:42:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Pretty hard to beat the price you are paying now, in fact cannot think of any provider under £20/m at present.

EE, £19.50

Edited by Mml (Thu 08-Dec-16 10:43:46)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Dec-16 12:02:42
Print Post

Can you go here and post using the address checker:
https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s...

My understanding is BT Basic stops you getting anything other than ADSL on your line so you wouldn't be able to place a fibre order, but I could be wrong. This could be why all you see is ADSL. I'm interested in what this checker shows, that said Canary Wharf is notorious for very poor broadband as the lines are quite long.
Standard User alloneword
(regular) Fri 09-Dec-16 22:51:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by alloneword:
...when i spoke to them they wanted 19 pence per connection which i thought was steep, i
That sounds like a misunderstanding by them of the question you were asking. They have zero call setup charges. BT Retail on a normal rental have 19p outside their call plans?

Unless, I wonder if what Pulse8 said to you was more like "blah blah instead of 19p per connection" and you misheard?

No it's 19p per call
https://www.plus.net/help/legal/residential-phone-ta...

All1
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 09-Dec-16 23:26:40
Print Post

????

I and professor973 were talking about Pulse8Broadband. You replied to him that they charged 19p setup.

I concluded you had misunderstood something from Pulse8. Not that you were talking about the Plusnet 19p. Which only applies of course to calls outside whatever hugely overpriced call package you take smile.

I haven't checked the current Plusnet call packages, but a few months ago Anytime was £7pm. On Pulse8 that would be over 700 minutes to UK landlines.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/15199kbps @ 600m. - IPv4

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 09-Dec-16 23:28:01)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to