General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 1345green
(newbie) Thu 08-Dec-16 12:04:00
Print Post

pulse8 vs talktalk business

[link to this post]

Hi,

Thinking of a move to pulse8, standard 40/10 residential fibre (so stated as lower priority than their business 40/10 fibre option).

They seem to be good, if not small, but I think that's what makes them good.

Forums mention it's resold talktalk business. Would signing direct to talktalk business give me better connection? Or do Pulse8 have access something much better than the normal product that they pass onto their customers?

Direct TTB only do 80/20 (not 40/10) and after cashback, over 24mnths = £35.41 p/m inc vat & line.

vs Pulse8 40/10 for £38 p/m inc vat & line.
BUT - TTB are 24 months contract, Pulse8 are 1 month.

I feel that any problems would be resolved better by pulse8 and I think speed is less important; a good 40/10 is better than a patchy 80/20. Am I right?

Would the connection through pulse8 trump a connection direct with TTB?
If I sign up with pulse8, would that exclude me from any new customer offers with TTB?

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 08-Dec-16 12:13:15
Print Post

Re: pulse8 vs talktalk business

[re: 1345green] [link to this post]

If you use the landline phone for calls, also check out TTB's call charges. Pulse8's are peanuts, with no connection charge either. If you don't, it's irrelevant, but if you do call costs needs factoring in.

Edit: Oh, what about the migration in charge on Pulse8? Does TTB have one?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/15336kbps @ 600m. - IPv4-BQM, IPv6-BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 08-Dec-16 12:15:05)

Standard User 1345green
(newbie) Thu 08-Dec-16 12:43:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Don't use for calls.

Migration charges broadly the same around £50.

TTB will waiver - BUT need to direct order with sales so I would loose chance of cash back.

So is the end quality and priority of the connection exactly the same?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Thu 08-Dec-16 13:04:24
Print Post

I am on TalkTalk Business 80/20 and with the call features it's great value. Literally including the VAT £45 a month which is a few quid less than I spent with BT and also unlimited calls to landlines and mobiles included.

Just to give you a perspective of my connection.

I can't comment on Pulse8 support but I hear they are good. Talk Talk are there 7 days a week and I get through right away - but then again that's not residential (who I hear are shocking)

Edited by 23Prince (Thu 08-Dec-16 13:12:20)

Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Thu 08-Dec-16 13:12:25
Print Post

You are comparing a residential (standard priority) service from Pulse8 to a high priority business service from TTB ........

Pulse8 do both, you choose the cost according to you real needs..

Both P8 and TTB will be over the same exchange equipment, the difference which is very hard to see is in the priority on the line.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Dec-16 13:16:37
Print Post

If you don't have any line issues then there is no such thing as a 'patchy' 80/20 vdsl2 connection. If you are too far from your vdsl2 cab then your modem won't connect at the full 80/20 mbs...simple. What does the TTB line checker and/or BT adsl checker give you for estimated speeds?

As for Pulse8 v TTB, they are both highly rated, a few pro's if you went with TTB direct:

* TTB have signed up to the Ofcom Business Broadband Code of Practice which clearly states that you can leave TTB if they cannot fix any speed related issues. So even though you will be entering an eye watering 24 month contract with them at least you have the reassurance that you can leave them anytime if they fail to provide the quoted speeds.

* TTB have 7 day Warrington based phone support

* TTB offer a static IP address free of charge

* Potentially higher speeds (up to 80/20) on TTB subject to your line conditions

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Thu 08-Dec-16 13:19:10
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Adding to this..

The leave time is 15 days if unable to resolve.

You get 2 free house or "premises" moves within a 12 month period so could work out well if you did need to change locations.

It's nice to ring mobiles and not get charged. I had no call package on BT and paid more in line rental :/
Standard User 1345green
(newbie) Thu 08-Dec-16 13:34:55
Print Post

[re: AdrianPH] [link to this post]

Thanks for all replies.

Also, yes I'm comparing standard priority 40/10 from pulse8, they do business (high priority) 40/10 and also business (high priority) 80/20.

Would I need business high priority 76Mbps from pulse8 to directly compare quality compare with TTB 80/20?

And would there be no difference in latency, drop packets and all that sort of stuff compared between the two at those levels?

Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Thu 08-Dec-16 13:45:54
Print Post

Ah, I've had PN business. Was not a fan. The team were great but the connection not so.

And no I don't think you would unless you were referring to raw speed only. As for the other bit - hard to say as it's the same network just a different person you pay.
Standard User 1345green
(newbie) Thu 08-Dec-16 13:47:42
Print Post

From their line checker:

£50 connection charge.

56.48-74.81- down
16.92-20 - up

50.98 min guarantee'd.

Now I'm going to get sales calls again!!! no option to uncheck!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to