I've signed for a flat and I'll be living in it for precisely 1 year, no longer.
The issue is, my search for a reasonably priced 12-month broadband contract isn't going too well - Most are offered at 18 months.
Furthermore, I've noticed that the building (converted Victorian townhouse) doesn't have a Virgin Media connection. The price and location of the property, unfortunately, won me over and now I'm venturing into (V)DSL land for the first time.
I do have a few requirements, but to be honest I think they're similar to most.
- Stable, reliable connection (I guess that's dependent on my exact location, but if anyone is aware of providers that are particularly terrible it'd be nice to know!)
- Absolute minimum of 30mbps. I stream a lot, download more than I should and I rely on handling relatively large files. I will be living next door to the University which I have access to so I can in theory offload a significant chunk when I'm there, but hey, I'm lazy! Theoretically, I could leech WiFi from them but I doubt they'd be too happy about it.
- Unmetered connection. My average usage is around 2TB per month.
- No throttling, or at least reasonable throttling if it's needed. BitTorrent slowdowns at peak time I can understand, general web browsing I cannot.
- 12 months contract. Unless it's cost effective to cancel early? I've not looked too far into the T&Cs of every provider, but if it economically works out better than I guess I'd be okay with it!
I'm aiming to pay not much more than £400 for the entire contract. I'm on a slight budget.
So far I've seen John Lewis broadband who offer 38/10 at £32.50/month. I know they're essentially reselling PlusNet - Any reviews?
Furthermore, as I've not yet moved into the property is there anything I can do prior to getting the keys to start the broadband connection ball rolling?
Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm a tad lost after dealing with Virgin for so long!