General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bingthing
(newbie) Wed 11-Jan-17 00:03:58
Print Post

12 month contract fibre options

[link to this post]

Hey there,

I've signed for a flat and I'll be living in it for precisely 1 year, no longer.
The issue is, my search for a reasonably priced 12-month broadband contract isn't going too well - Most are offered at 18 months.

Furthermore, I've noticed that the building (converted Victorian townhouse) doesn't have a Virgin Media connection. The price and location of the property, unfortunately, won me over and now I'm venturing into (V)DSL land for the first time.

I do have a few requirements, but to be honest I think they're similar to most.
  • Stable, reliable connection (I guess that's dependent on my exact location, but if anyone is aware of providers that are particularly terrible it'd be nice to know!)
  • Absolute minimum of 30mbps. I stream a lot, download more than I should and I rely on handling relatively large files. I will be living next door to the University which I have access to so I can in theory offload a significant chunk when I'm there, but hey, I'm lazy! Theoretically, I could leech WiFi from them but I doubt they'd be too happy about it.
  • Unmetered connection. My average usage is around 2TB per month.
  • No throttling, or at least reasonable throttling if it's needed. BitTorrent slowdowns at peak time I can understand, general web browsing I cannot.
  • 12 months contract. Unless it's cost effective to cancel early? I've not looked too far into the T&Cs of every provider, but if it economically works out better than I guess I'd be okay with it!

I'm aiming to pay not much more than £400 for the entire contract. I'm on a slight budget.
So far I've seen John Lewis broadband who offer 38/10 at £32.50/month. I know they're essentially reselling PlusNet - Any reviews?

Furthermore, as I've not yet moved into the property is there anything I can do prior to getting the keys to start the broadband connection ball rolling?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm a tad lost after dealing with Virgin for so long!
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-Jan-17 00:42:47
Print Post

Re: 12 month contract fibre options

[re: bingthing] [link to this post]

There's BT Infinity 1, (Up to) 55 down, 10 up, unlimited, 12 month contract. £29.99pm + £59.99 setup with a £150 reward card if you order by midnight 12 Jan. Total £420 less £150 = £270 for the year.

Your actual speeds will, of course, depend on how far you are from the FTTC cabinet and the quality of the line and the internal wiring.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-Jan-17 00:56:32
Print Post

Many ISPs do 12 months.

BT do 12 months
TalkTalk do 12 months but it's a little hidden and costs more:
https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/contract-length

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 11-Jan-17 00:56:49)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 11-Jan-17 06:22:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by bingthing:
Furthermore, as I've not yet moved into the property is there anything I can do prior to getting the keys to start the broadband connection ball rolling?
Use the Address Checker option of the DSL checker to find out your availability and speed estimate if you don't know the phone number
www.dslchecker.bt.com
Standard User Mml
(learned) Wed 11-Jan-17 07:35:21
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Many ISPs do 12 months.
BT do 12 months

And so do Sky.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-Jan-17 09:32:15
Print Post

[re: Mml] [link to this post]

Can you provide a link? I checked and could only see 18 months.
  Print Thread

Jump to