General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 24-Feb-17 11:19:39
Print Post

Re: Why do small ISPs not have to block banned websites?

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

But you are watching a film that you haven't paid for.

The law might state that because it is only on the "viewers" computer temporarily then the viewer is not breaking the law. So what. People like you are fuelling the demand for law breakers to supply the illegal stuff.

Some suppliers of Kodi boxes with pre-installed software, and more importantly the app to support the watching of films, have been taken to court and fined.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Feb-17 11:39:47
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
But you are watching a film that you haven't paid for.

The law might state that because it is only on the "viewers" computer temporarily then the viewer is not breaking the law. So what. People like you are fuelling the demand for law breakers to supply the illegal stuff.

Some suppliers of Kodi boxes with pre-installed software, and more importantly the app to support the watching of films, have been taken to court and fined.
I use the kodi app on pc, not set top box again kodi is 100% legit , as to which software you choose to install onto it, that's a different matter
And as for some of these overpaid, movie stars and so-called pop singers, i couldn't care less about funding their luxury lifestyles, in particular, those virtue signallers who also seek to undermine the democratic will of the people of this country And i care even less about the greedy film and music industry and the corrupt politicians that have aided them

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 24-Feb-17 11:42:24)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 24-Feb-17 12:55:34
Print Post

Do you watch football? Possibly even pay for it?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Feb-17 13:45:43
Print Post

"those virtue signallers"

Is that English?

But you obviously care about staying in this awful country with overpaid artistes and corrupt politicians.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Feb-17 14:07:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Do you watch football? Possibly even pay for it?
no to both
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Feb-17 14:13:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by broadband66:
"those virtue signallers"

Is that English?

But you obviously care about staying in this awful country with overpaid artistes and corrupt politicians.
most of whom don't even live here, those that do live in their secure gated communities, and in areas where the population is predominantly white, they are hypocrites given platforms by the purveyors of Fake news the controlled mainstream media BBC, Sky, and some of other sources, I watch virtually no TV these days

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 25-Feb-17 15:57:55)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 25-Feb-17 14:30:13
Print Post

So have we established that Kodi is legal and streaming movies and football from Kodi is also legal?
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 25-Feb-17 19:46:52
Print Post

The problem I see it is like this.

Most markets will adapt to consumer behaviour so e.g. if weetabix sales tank., they lower their prices or introduce an offer, or ramp up advertising, they dont blame the consumer, they adapt to recover sales.

The movie and music industry works different, if the sales tank, then its not a problem with pricing or availability, the problem is the consumers and/or the law, they react by lobbying governments for law changes and adding extra copy protections to their products. In short they just dont get it and refuse to modernise their practices.

As part of their lobbying process they try to claim every illegal download is a lost sale and simply refuse to accept they may have to change their policies such as reducing prices, allowing people to make backups, allowing cross platform ownership so e.g. if buy the cd it allows you to stream it on any streaming service without paying again.

They also not helping themselves with staggered release dates and highly variable pricing depending on where you live, all this causes consumers to be hostile to their products and we have what we have today.

Even with all this in mind tho, good music and movies still make very handsome profits, suggesting piracy is not the reason some artists fail, but simply their product is not good enough.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 25-Feb-17 20:32:38
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I broadly agree with what you are saying there. But of course it doesn't make copyright theft acceptable, financially or morally. In our day if you couldn't afford something, you went without, or went without something else and saved up.

It would almost be better if nothing was free on the internet. Even Wikipedia or Google. At least some sense of morality would be inculcated. Parents and the education systems world-wide seem to have given up. With large numbers of decent exceptions of course, possibly the (frustrated and unhappy) majority of people.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 25-Feb-17 21:19:01
Print Post

I know, this has came about because in its early years it was a problem that got ignored, they waited until it got too popular to try and do something about it.

There is also that downloading copyrighted material without the licence to view it is not illegal, its the distribution that's illegal, which in itself limits what can be done about it.

My view is tho that moving forward they should adapt, and also accept that piracy happens, another thing to add to what you said about pre internet years, I remember when I was a paperboy collecting papers from the video shop, the owner had several video copying machines running in the background making pirated movies to sell. Piracy has always been around, just in different ways. To reduce piracy to 0% is a unattainable target, and if they not careful they lose the ability to monitor it as it will just go more undergound like the old years.

All they need to do is try to kill the reasons for people to pirate instead of buying.

Reduce pricing.
Release worldwide at same date.
Make it available for online viewing same date as cinema and physical media.

Netflix had the right idea, but greed wrecked it, if netflix had every movie ever released for its 6.99 price it would absolutely murder piracy rates, but it isnt to be, movies keep been pulled because the copyight holders cannot get netflix to pay inflated costs, and the liks of sky movies want exclusivity meaning whats on sky movies cannot also be on netflix. Not to also mention the regional restrictions, e.g. a usa netflix account having 3x the content of a uk netflix account.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to