General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 25-Feb-17 21:47:19
Print Post

Re: Why do small ISPs not have to block banned websites?

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

The BBC is now making several programs available over the net prior to broadcast over terrestrial radio or TV. Which is going along those lines.

Which will make avoiding spoilers almost impossible.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 25-Feb-17 21:47:44)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Feb-17 23:07:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It would almost be better if nothing was free on the internet. Even Wikipedia or Google.
WOW no one in their right minds would pay to access google or wiki, not a chance, and if nothing was free on the internet, there would be no internet and isp's would be charging a hell of a lot more for access than they do now
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 25-Feb-17 23:45:50
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Like nobody goes on buses or trains, or buys cars because of road tax you mean?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 26-Feb-17 00:59:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Like nobody goes on buses or trains, or buys cars because of road tax you mean?
no, i don't mean, and that isn't the same thing,
Standard User _Resonance_
(member) Sun 26-Feb-17 13:57:54
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
I'm sorry but that is the same argument as stealing something physical. If I have no intention of paying for a CD in the local store then I just steal it? I know you argue that in the case of pirating nothing physical is stolen but why does that make any difference with that justification?

And how does it answer the fact that if it isn't worth paying for then surely it is not worth having? Or is it just that people think the price being charged is too high? In which case that price would be lower if everyone paid for what they used. That is a cyclical argument.

In the end someone's time went in to making the thing even if it isn't physical. If you consume it then you should be willing to pay for that person's time. If you aren't willing to pay then don't consume it.

PS - When I say "you" it is the proverbial you just aimed your way because you are the one putting forward the argument.

Theft (stealing) = permanently depriving someone of something. Which is why pirating is not theft.

BT Infinity 2
Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Sun 26-Feb-17 14:05:30
Print Post

[re: _Resonance_] [link to this post]

Listening to, or watching anything that is freely streamed to the world online is breaking no laws and nothing physical is stolen. The same applies to software like replay music that automatically records and tags tracks. All verified in law. The same applies to sporting streams, those watching are breaking no law. The fact that in most cases people could not afford these services, or the thousands of tracks they may listen to, re enforces the argument of no loss.
Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Sun 26-Feb-17 14:07:30
Print Post

[re: _Resonance_] [link to this post]

Listening to, or watching anything that is freely streamed to the world online is breaking no laws and nothing physical is stolen. The same applies to software like replay music that automatically records and tags tracks. All verified in law. The same applies to sporting streams or me listening to Pandora music in the UK, those watching and listening are breaking no law. The fact that in most cases people could not afford or are geo-blocked from these services, or the thousands of tracks they may listen to, re enforces the argument of no loss.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Feb-17 17:59:52
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

OMG we have President Trump on the forum.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Feb-17 18:02:14
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Are you saying that the poor can do what they like as long as there is no actual loss?

(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Feb-17 18:08:25
Print Post

"In our day if you couldn't afford something, you went without, or went without something else and saved up."

Good point, well made.

I hate paying the inflated price for CDs and DVDs and WAIT until they are a decent price in the supermarkets.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to