General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Perseus99
(newbie) Wed 08-Feb-17 00:52:20
Print Post

Credit checks and ISPs

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Basically I'd like to find out which ISPs don't run credit checks. I found out that apparently not all of them do when I rang up Zen to enquire. However, having seen all the negative posts about them here and elsewhere I'd like to know from your experience of signing up which other ISPs don't usually run credit checks so I have alternatives. I don't have CCJs but have been declined for a credit card recently, so I want to avoid making things worse for my credit rating that's all, thanks!
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Wed 08-Feb-17 15:00:06
Print Post

Re: Credit checks and ISPs

[re: Perseus99] [link to this post]

Most ISP's

The ones that do are

Sky Maybe?
BT - definitely
Virgin Media -definitely

I think that's it.

Plusnet,
AAISP
Talk Talk
Zen
Pulse8
and others, don't as far as I know.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Feb-17 15:23:34
Print Post

Any that don't sell calls won't credit check you.

Unless you've a mountain of defaults and/or are in serious trouble with regards to current debt you've no worries about a credit check. They aren't at all strict as the amount of credit in question is pretty low - a month of call charges.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Wed 08-Feb-17 15:35:57
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Talktalk do.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Feb-17 15:58:22
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

Considering you pay for your connection one month in advance, why would you need a credit check. Your account is always in credit anyway
Standard User Discus
(experienced) Wed 08-Feb-17 16:31:07
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

BT don't show on my credit file as having made a search on me.

http://www.marksfish.me.uk - Personal fishkeeping website
Standard User Mml
(learned) Wed 08-Feb-17 17:41:42
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

EE do, too. My order got delayed because I made it over the weekend and they couldn't complete a credit check on me (quote from the email I got).
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Wed 08-Feb-17 21:29:30
Print Post

[re: Discus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Discus:
BT don't show on my credit file as having made a search on me.

That's weird.. They are on mine.
Standard User pernickitypedant
(newbie) Sat 13-May-17 16:30:07
Print Post

[re: Discus] [link to this post]

Which credit agency's file were you looking at?

Like most "credit" providers, BT reports to only some of the 3 agencies, I think it's Equifax for sure and possibly also Experian. I don't think they report to CallCredit.

Current connex, modem etc.:

Zyxel VMG8924-B10A VDSL2 modem/router & dual-line AAISP/Sipgate SIP modem

AAISP Home::1 80/20 150GB + copper pair on TTB backhaul (by request, Terabyte tariff when/if needed)

Sync 79987/20000 kbit/s, attainable ~94000/32000 kbit/s via 120-150m 1985 copper to ECI Cabinet 14, Milford Exchange (WMMFD)

BQM:
IPv4 & IPv6 (soon)

ISP Hx: Wanadoo ~2Mb (Orange takeover) > Freedom2Surf ~4Mb (TalkTalk takeover) > Virgin Media 10->30->50->70Mb (excess connex) > BT Inf 2 80Mb (04/17 rises, no offer) > Virgin Media 100Mb (awful pings) > AAISP 80Mb
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-May-17 17:54:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Perseus99:
Hi all,

Basically I'd like to find out which ISPs don't run credit checks. I found out that apparently not all of them do when I rang up Zen to enquire. However, having seen all the negative posts about them here and elsewhere I'd like to know from your experience of signing up which other ISPs don't usually run credit checks so I have alternatives. I don't have CCJs but have been declined for a credit card recently, so I want to avoid making things worse for my credit rating that's all, thanks!
TalkTalk definitely do, although my TalkTalk was originally in the wrong name (advisor error), to a person who does not exist at all. That name apparently passed with "flying colours." So I would say despite running a credit check they pretty much give anyone a service. What I have noted is that the Credit Check is often used as a way to determine a max spend on an account e.g. TalkTalk only gave the mystery name £75 spending power, whereas when I changed it that was upped to £500.

Do not be afraid, ISPs are unlikely to turn around and say no. If you go onto the money saving expert site you will find a tonne of people with CCJs and bankruptcy who regularly switch providers without a problem. They often ask if they'll get declined and reply saying all went fine.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to