General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User acca90
(newbie) Fri 10-Feb-17 10:29:51
Print Post

SSE Broadband?

[link to this post]

Hello,

If anybody can give me some advice about this, I'd be really grateful:

I live in a semi-rural area - no fibre, just copper. The exchange doesn't have LLU.

I've always been with BT or PlusNet and not really had any problems.

Now I'm looking at switching to SSE for a phone + broadband package.

I'm read that SSE use Daisy and that they traffic manage. But would this affect me if I'm not on fibre? If Daisy is just BT resold, would my speeds remain the same? I get around 4.5mb, which is not too bad considering everything for here.

Any thoughts will be gratefully received.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Feb-17 10:53:03
Print Post

Re: SSE Broadband?

[re: acca90] [link to this post]

BT Resold is a phrase hiding many things.

LLU providers selling in areas where they don't have their own backhaul network generally are to be avoided, since it is not unusual to NOT purchase decent levels of capacity, i.e. peak time speeds can suffer.

Daisy might be different, but the above is a pattern repeated by numerous LLU operators over the years.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 10-Feb-17 10:54:32
Print Post

Connection speed would be basically unchanged. Throughput/speedtest results at busy times are a different question entirely. They may be less stable. Off-peak should be fine.

Which exchange is it please? That can affect the throughput question as we need to see if it is WBC-enabled. That's 21CN ADSL2/2+ rather than old 20CN ADSL Max on IPStreamConnect.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User acca90
(newbie) Fri 10-Feb-17 10:58:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi RobertoS.

Thanks for your advice. The exchange is Cowfold. The exchange code is SDCWFLD.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Feb-17 11:01:57
Print Post

Have you tried having a chat with BT retention? They have some very good deals right now with people being able to leave freely due to price rises.

In terms of SSE at this exchange, I would avoid, they have congestion issues even on exchanges where they have LLU.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 10-Feb-17 11:02:26)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 10-Feb-17 11:14:29
Print Post

That doesn't look encouraging to me. It isn't WBC-enabled according to this checker, though that is occasionally slightly out of date. Having said that, apparently all such exchanges will get WBC by the end of 2018, a bit beyond your timescale I expect.

On top of what the others have said, non-WBC is even less well-served on 20CN exchanges as it is more expensive to the ISPs.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Feb-17 11:17:17
Print Post

Waitrose should be a safe bet as they are run by Plusnet but don't overcharge for Market 1 exchanges.
Origin would be cheaper, but I don't know much about the backhaul.

Michael Chare
  Print Thread

Jump to