General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ImranQ
(learned) Sun 12-Feb-17 00:34:59
Print Post

Seriously considering changing from BT to IDNet/Zen. Views?

[link to this post]

Hi All,
I'm currently with BT Infinity 2. I 'renogotiated' my package at the end of November 2016 down to £50 (Infinity/line/caller display/unlimited calls anytime). Its not a fantastic price but better than what I was paying before and I've been with BT for years.
So now BT are raising prices I'm allowed to move on if I wish and I was thinking of moving
to either IDNet or Zen on the similar packages which are around £50-55. I'm quite near the exchange so I get 76MBps. I do get few drops during the day though which is quite annoying.

So anyway, my questions are:
1) I need a reliable connection with minimal drops. What are the stability and speeds on IDNet or Zen like?
2) IDNet also allow you on a better contention by paying £10 extra per month. Is it worth it?
Thanks,
Imran
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 12-Feb-17 01:18:42
Print Post

Re: Seriously considering changing from BT to IDNet/Zen. Vie

[re: ImranQ] [link to this post]

1) If you mean drops of the connection that is a fault and a change of ISP is very unlikely to change it.

If you mean the throughput speed is all over the place, that can happen in the evenings but in the daytime is very odd.

How long have you had the problem?

2) Probably not until we sort out (1).

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Feb-17 01:38:35
Print Post

Drops would be a fault and likely needs to be investigated.

Have you checked out your offers on BT?
Most people are being offered Infinity 2 for around £34.

http://www.bt.com/myoffer

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fellwalker
(learned) Sun 12-Feb-17 19:04:55
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:

That would be nice. My offer on the web was £53.49 (50p saving). When I rang they offered a £9 discount (from the standard pricing), bringing it down to £44.99 but I would have to sign up for a full 24 MONTHS!
Customer since 2011 this time, and from 2001 to 2008 when they made a complete hash of ADSL and I moved to BE There until Infinity came out.
Clearly I need to go back to them again.

Zen is one I was looking at. As with all of the "better ones" AAISP, Zen, IDNet, I cannot find out their email restrictions. On comparison sites it says 11 addresses, and that they cannot be acessed through IMAP. On the Zen website it does not specify included emails, but it says there are limits on size of attachment, and overall storage, but I cannot find the detail anywhere.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 12-Feb-17 20:06:24
Print Post

[re: Fellwalker] [link to this post]

Having your email with an ISP and having to keep changing it when you migrate is silly smile.

Prices for domains went up recently, but for £23 a year you can have your own domain and email for it, and never need to change it again when you change ISP. See this page. Up and running within a few hours of ordering.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Fellwalker
(learned) Sun 12-Feb-17 21:29:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Having your email with an ISP and having to keep changing it when you migrate is silly smile.

Prices for domains went up recently, but for £23 a year you can have your own domain and email for it, and never need to change it again when you change ISP. See this page. Up and running within a few hours of ordering.
sorry OP, I didn't intend to hijack your thread, so hope this helps your decision.
Email hosting is the issue. tsohost is now £9.99pm. I have my domain names and my provider has an email option - but with very low attachment sizes (yes, I can get round that using Dropbox etc but not with technically challenged friends) , and limited storage. That seems to be similar for all reasonably priced email providers. I use my current ISP for diverting my fixed email to. We can't all keep paying more every month as more software moves to SAAS.
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sun 12-Feb-17 21:51:21
Print Post

I am a very demanding person and expect a solid reliable broadband service on accounts that are rendered that can be understood and don't contain errors. I tend to steer home workers towards either TalkTalk Business or Zen. Neither are perfect but both are head and shoulders above the popular competition. Sometimes it is necessary to use BT Business as their connection charges for new lines can be considerable less than anyone else.

You won't be unhappy with Zen but then again they no longer have a wow factor. There provided email services is OK but I echo the sentiments of others of having your own hosted domain name. Setting it up may seem somewhat difficult but there are many here that can help you achieve that goal. There are bargain basement prices with limited facilities, so do go a bit upmarket to have more than one email address and enough storage space, particularly if you intend to use IMAP.

David Bradley
Standard User ImranQ
(learned) Sun 12-Feb-17 21:56:16
Print Post

Thanks for your reply. I agree. At the moment I am running an app on my computer that will show me any drops and then I can get BT on it.
Standard User ImranQ
(learned) Sun 12-Feb-17 21:59:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by Fellwalker:

That would be nice. My offer on the web was £53.49 (50p saving). When I rang they offered a £9 discount (from the standard pricing), bringing it down to £44.99 but I would have to sign up for a full 24 MONTHS!
Customer since 2011 this time, and from 2001 to 2008 when they made a complete hash of ADSL and I moved to BE There until Infinity came out.
Clearly I need to go back to them again.

Zen is one I was looking at. As with all of the "better ones" AAISP, Zen, IDNet, I cannot find out their email restrictions. On comparison sites it says 11 addresses, and that they cannot be acessed through IMAP. On the Zen website it does not specify included emails, but it says there are limits on size of attachment, and overall storage, but I cannot find the detail anywhere.

Thanks I am at the moment inclined towards Zen myself. I was with them myself a few years ago when max download was 8Mbps and I took out a business account with them at the time. Cost £80 at the time!
Standard User ImranQ
(learned) Sun 12-Feb-17 22:03:36
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
I am a very demanding person and expect a solid reliable broadband service on accounts that are rendered that can be understood and don't contain errors. I tend to steer home workers towards either TalkTalk Business or Zen. Neither are perfect but both are head and shoulders above the popular competition. Sometimes it is necessary to use BT Business as their connection charges for new lines can be considerable less than anyone else.

You won't be unhappy with Zen but then again they no longer have a wow factor. There provided email services is OK but I echo the sentiments of others of having your own hosted domain name. Setting it up may seem somewhat difficult but there are many here that can help you achieve that goal. There are bargain basement prices with limited facilities, so do go a bit upmarket to have more than one email address and enough storage space, particularly if you intend to use IMAP.

David Bradley

Interesting! I didn't realize that Talk Talk had business DSL. I'll look into it. Thanks!
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Feb-17 22:05:09
Print Post

Did you ring and ask for cancellations...

If you that's the very worst deal I have heard to date.
By far the most common deal is £33.49 for 2 years.

Ring 0800-800150
Reason for call cancellations

Let them know others have been offered infinity 2 for £33.49 for 2 years and you're looking for that deal otherwise you will migrate out due to the price rises.

I really think you stand a good chance getting it given the amount of people posting they have that deal.
Standard User ImranQ
(learned) Sun 12-Feb-17 22:12:08
Print Post

Did you ring and ask for cancellations...

If you that's the very worst deal I have heard to date.
By far the most common deal is £33.49 for 2 years.

Ring 0800-800150
Reason for call cancellations

Let them know others have been offered infinity 2 for £33.49 for 2 years and you're looking for that deal otherwise you will migrate out due to the price rises.

I really think you stand a good chance getting it given the amount of people posting they have that deal.

Yes I called up BT cancellations back in November as I mentioned in my OP and they supposedly gave me the best price. They also had a bad episode last year where their mail servers went down for several days and I lost a lot of email. Amateurish or what! I am locked into a contract for one year but as I mentioned, I have received an email that due to price increases, I am allowed to change which I plan to take advantage of.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 12-Feb-17 22:14:50
Print Post

Email hosting is the issue. tsohost is now £9.99pm.
That is Enterprise level Microsoft Exchange. From Tsohost website:-
A premium product from the global software giant, Exchange is the benchmark against which all other email services are now founded upon. If you're looking for a simple, managed and efficient email service - look no further.

The Hosted Exchange email system provides 'direct push' email to compatible devices like the iPhone or Windows Mobile, as well as the usual Outlook and Web Access based services; thus enabling an almost instantaneous receipt of emails. Opting for this service, Tsohost takes care of email account provisioning, server updates, management and security - giving you the freedom to enjoy hosted email on Microsoft Exchange.
For customers requiring email for 100 users or more, we recommend managed dedicated Exchange hosting. This means you have your own Microsoft Exchange email platform dedicated to your needs and customised entirely for your organisation. For more information, please contact us regarding your complex solution.
Assuming you are an individual not looking for a "Large Business" service, which your other posts in different forums/threads would seem to confirm, you should be looking at this page. The "Lite" package is more than adequate for most users. £14.99pa plus your domain cost, which is £7.19pa with them.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 12-Feb-17 22:20:49)

Standard User ImranQ
(learned) Sun 12-Feb-17 22:15:27
Print Post

I agree. I had a nasty problem with BT last year where their servers went down for several days and I couldn't receive or send email. It was at that point that I got fed up (it had happened before). I researched and become ISP independent. I now use a free SMTP server together with Gmail to receive/send email smile Additionally BT's email filtering sucks and I don't like it.
Standard User ImranQ
(learned) Sun 12-Feb-17 22:18:36
Print Post

Email hosting is the issue. tsohost is now £9.99pm.
That is Enterprise level Microsoft Exchange. From Tsohost website:-
A premium product from the global software giant, Exchange is the benchmark against which all other email services are now founded upon. If you're looking for a simple, managed and efficient email service - look no further.

The Hosted Exchange email system provides 'direct push' email to compatible devices like the iPhone or Windows Mobile, as well as the usual Outlook and Web Access based services; thus enabling an almost instantaneous receipt of emails. Opting for this service, Tsohost takes care of email account provisioning, server updates, management and security - giving you the freedom to enjoy hosted email on Microsoft Exchange.
For customers requiring email for 100 users or more, we recommend managed dedicated Exchange hosting. This means you have your own Microsoft Exchange email platform dedicated to your needs and customised entirely for your organisation. For more information, please contact us regarding your complex solution.
Assuming you are an individual not looking for a "Large Business" service, which your other posts would seem to confirm, you should be looking at this page. The "Lite" package is more than adequate for most users. £14.99pa plus your domain cost, which is £7.19pa with them.

That's looks pretty cool. Thanks for the link.
Standard User ImranQ
(learned) Sun 12-Feb-17 22:21:11
Print Post

1) If you mean drops of the connection that is a fault and a change of ISP is very unlikely to change it.

If you mean the throughput speed is all over the place, that can happen in the evenings but in the daytime is very odd.

How long have you had the problem?

2) Probably not until we sort out (1).

At the moment I am not 100% sure its BT. I have an oldish WNDR3700 routher which has started to give me strange issues. For example not being able to logon until I reboot it. So, the problem could be the router. Trying to narrow it down at the moment. However I have decided to get rid of BT as my supplier.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 12-Feb-17 22:23:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by ImranQ:
That's looks pretty cool. Thanks for the link.
Don't get confused smile That was a reply to fellwalker who completely looked at the wrong part of Tsohost website.

But Tsohost is a rather good website and mail host in my opinion.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Feb-17 23:17:22
Print Post

Yes due to the price rises they are offering crazy deals at retentions now.

Now is the time to call cancellations not last November. smile
Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Mon 13-Feb-17 08:36:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by ImranQ:
So anyway, my questions are:
1) I need a reliable connection with minimal drops. What are the stability and speeds on IDNet or Zen like?
2) IDNet also allow you on a better contention by paying £10 extra per month. Is it worth it?
1. I've been on an iDNet fibre connection for just over 2 years and before that 5 years or so on ADSL. Whilst the line itself is not a particularly good one, the connection has been absolutely trouble free. Pings are not that great at 18ms, but they are extremely consistent and since I'm not a gamer it doesn't bother me. Support has always been good but TBH since moving to fibre I've only used it once. When I was on ADSL I always found it to be good.

2. The extra £10 wouldn't be worth it to me but YMMV. However if you are a serious gamer it would be well worth looking at their new gaming option which has better links to the main gaming servers and apparently is optimised for gaming.

Regarding email I'm with RobertoS on this, far better to go for your own domain with a hosting company. I've been with Clook for around 8 years. They're a small company but ultra reliable with very good support. Any tickets I've raised have been dealt with inside 10 minutes. Shared hosting from £35/year for a small site plus email - domain registration extra.
Standard User Fellwalker
(learned) Mon 13-Feb-17 12:43:29
Print Post

Food for thought. I had gone on web chat, and they phoned me and put me through to cancellations. I'll try again.
Standard User Fellwalker
(learned) Mon 13-Feb-17 13:52:06
Print Post

Thanks @RobertoS, that was your first link, and then I was looking on their main menu for "Email", not web hosting because I have no use for a web site. Silly me.
Thanks for your suggestions and putting me right.

I'll need to rethink my email strategy, as I have my history in BTYahoo using 0.26% of the 1TB (Space for 54 million more emails) that they allow, whereas all of the personal solutions i have looked at only give a few hundred MB. If I leave BT, I'd lose the BTYahoo. The smaller storage suggests I wouldn't be using hosted email through webmail, because it would need regular trimming before too long. I would have to use something like gmail, outlook.com or yahoo to be able to keep access on PC, phone and tablet. I've found it very useful being able to search back for when I did something - so as a backup I do have outlook 2007 set up through IMAP to retain offline access to them all if I leave BT, but that only works on the one laptop.

My current domain name is with Easily (part way through 5 years for £22) and 20 email forwardings included but no hosting. Their email hosting is £9.99 for a year, which would allow me to configure gmail or outlook.com or a new Yahoo to send and receive. As I have been very happy with Easily I will try their email hosting first.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to