General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Wed 29-Mar-17 19:53:52
Print Post

Idnet or Now TV?

[link to this post]

Hi, I'm looking to leave my BT Infinity as the contracts up, I can only get a max of 33mbps on my line.
I'm looking for phone and Fibre BB, I've narrowed down my choice to based on price, Now TVs combo package and Idnet'shome broadband.

I'm interested in Now TV because it's no contract, and they have a good offer at present, and I've used the Now TV before and like it's service, I have also chatted to them online and they are prompt and polite. And they offer support till 11PM.

Idnet offers a service that may be faster, it's network is more geared for business so has a lot of redundancy built in, but it only offers email support after hours and at the weekend, and it's a bit more expensive, however it makes a lot of promises about performance.

Is it really going to make a lot of difference on Fibre with these performance promises? I don't care what router I use as I have the Netgear Orbi wireless system (which is excellent by the way).

Both packages are unlimited. I use a lot of streaming and gaming on Xbox and PlayStation.

Has anyone had any experience with Now TV or Idnet Fibre broadband?

The Idnet package is £42.60 a month with no inclusive calls for a 12 month contract.

The Now TV package will be about £31.50 a month under an offer they currently have for 12 months with no contract and the Now TV Entertainment pass but no inclusive calls.

Ive also thought about Plusnet, but they refuse to sell of offer me the up to 70MBPS Fibre package so I can get upload speeds of 10MBPS, and I as a result refuse to accept 2MBPS upload speeds.

Edited by markyr74 (Wed 29-Mar-17 23:02:10)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Mar-17 22:52:30
Print Post

Re: Idnet or Now TV?

[re: markyr74] [link to this post]

The broadband part of the NOW TV should be the same as the Sky Broadband service since its the same.

I'd go for the NOW TV bundle and if its not up to what you expect there is no contract and can shift to IDNet at a later date.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Wed 29-Mar-17 23:08:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The broadband part of the NOW TV should be the same as the Sky Broadband service since its the same.

I'd go for the NOW TV bundle and if its not up to what you expect there is no contract and can shift to IDNet at a later date.

Yeah, that's the good bit about it, my exchange has Sky LLU in it so I presume I'll be linked from there to the Sky backbone? I also had it confirmed that the Sky Q hub will work fine in Now TV, so if I'm fussed about having a possibly newer chipset in the router I could pick one up off eBay for £30 ish, if it makes any difference to connection stability that is.

I also keep seeing people claim the latency on Sky Fibre is really good, is that just the odd case or is it a general consensus on a reasonable line quality?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Mar-17 23:23:55
Print Post

Generally the case that VDSL2 is better latency than ADSL2+, as for Sky being better than the others, not something I've noticed

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Mar-17 23:34:08
Print Post

Now TV is just sky and will be fine. Should be the same as BT really.

The WiFi on the Now TV router isn't very good, but you know that already I am sure. It will work but not super fast.

Have you spoke with BT retentions?
Standard User markyr74
(newbie) Thu 30-Mar-17 00:25:45
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I don't want to stay with BT really, never use their TV service and I get fed up with the Home Hub restarting every 2 weeks or so, apparently for firmware update checks.

Don't care about wireless as I have the Orbi system, it's the best solution I've ever had, even if it wasn't cheap!

Another thing I noticed is on the quality score on the test results Idnet gets 1 and Sky gets 1.5:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7650-uk-broadband...

How much difference does that make?

Edited by markyr74 (Thu 30-Mar-17 01:29:09)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Mar-17 09:15:49
Print Post

IDNet may benefit from a cleaner network and users who make sure things are setup right at their end.

Had Sky prior to my current BT for the TV downstairs and will be someone else in June, and Sky was more stable (the HomeHub issues I suspect) but speeds and qos similar.

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Mar-17 09:23:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

The issuette with this strategy is that IDNet charge £90 for migrating in off a LLU connection.
Standard User Nikos_IDNet
(newbie) Thu 30-Mar-17 12:50:44
Print Post

Hi Markyr74,

Thanks for considering IDNet!

I just wanted to make some clarifications regarding our company and customer service.

We offer technical support via telephone 24/7, sales and account support its from 0800 - 1800 Monday to Friday. You can reach us on free phone 0800 331 7000 and support@idnet.com

With regards to LLU Import:

If your service is currently on the Openreach network then the Migration from your current ISP over to IDNet is free.

If your service is with an LLU provider, so not on the Openreach network, we would have to import your telephone line back over to the Openreach network to provide you with a service. This import will cost £75 ex VAT if it's from Sky or TalkTalk.

If you are migrating over from Virgin it will cost £125 as a new line installation on the Openreach network would be required.

Kind regards,

Nikos
IDNet Support
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-Mar-17 13:16:20
Print Post

[re: Nikos_IDNet] [link to this post]

Ummmm.

If we disregard Virgin Media Cable and the likes of Hyperoptic, all FTTC uses the Openreach network, and so do landlines. Either via MPF or SMPF.

Do you perhaps mean if the landline is not on Openreach WLR3? IN which case the Openreach charge is surely:-

"Conversion of Local Loop Unbundling (LLU) Metallic Path Facility (MPF) to a single Wholesale Access line. Operative date 01/04/2016 £30.26 + Vat"?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to