General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bepto
(learned) Wed 19-Apr-17 14:53:24
Print Post

Confused about fiber

[link to this post]

I am currently with BT on ADSL broadband & also have BT Sports via Sky. My contract with BT is due for renewal and having checked it appears that we can now get fiber connection.

I have spoken to BT and am not happy with the prices offered for upgrading to fiber, seems prices for new customers are much better and cancellations dept not much help.

We have Sky Q but having spoken to them it appears that if we sign up with them for broadband we also will be starting a new 18 month contract for Sky Q and I don't want to do that.

So I need to know what are the best options for me to move to a fast fiver service such as Infinity 2 - my exchange is Kiveton and I don't understand what options are available to me via my exchange.

Many thanks all.

Edited by Bepto (Wed 19-Apr-17 17:36:19)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Apr-17 15:25:17
Print Post

Re: Confused about finer

[re: Bepto] [link to this post]

Without telling us the exchange one can only guess.

Usually with Sky the TV contract is not tied to the broadband contract unless you order both at the same time. Their fibre service will carry a 12 or 18 month contract, and supply a new Sky Q modem (which is nothing to do with the Sky Q box).

What price are you being quoted for BT Infinity 2?

If upgrading from ADSL2+ then also consider Infinity 1 (the up to 38 Mbps and up to 52 Mbps) products, as these are cheaper and its a case of balancing the budget against the potential higher speeds.

NOTE: It is only worth ordering the Infinity 2 (up to 76 Mbps) product if your speed estimate for fibre (VDSL2) is above 52 Mbps, since the same technology is used for the slower product.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Bepto
(learned) Wed 19-Apr-17 17:40:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Am being quoted £48.99 for infinity 2 on an 18 month contract then with BT sports HD its £52.74 for 3 months and £57.74 for the remainder of the contract.

My exchange is Kiveton SLKIV

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Apr-17 17:57:13
Print Post

Have you spoke to cancellations / retentions?

0800 800150

Reason for call cancellations, keep saying cancellations over and over.

They have some good retention deals on Infinity 1, so might be worth considering.

The real issue is that you want to keep Sky. I would either move everything including TV to BT, or everything to Sky. That is where the big ticket discounts lie.

Also, for Sky, again speak with cancellations that is where the deals lie. When you call keep following options to cancel, not to add a service.

Threaten to remove the TV with Sky if they cannot offer a good deal on fibre.
& threaten to move the broadband from BT if they cannot offer a good deal on BT sports.

Obviously don't go through with it, just say you need to think about it.

Worth considering if you go fully via Sky you lose bt sport unless you pay for it via BT.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 19-Apr-17 17:58:04)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Apr-17 17:57:21
Print Post

You can get different prices on BT depending on how you get there, so you might get offered the £44.99/m if you use the affiliate link we have i.e. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/jump.html?type=5&url=h...

If BT Sports HD is a key element, then you are pretty much restricted to BT Consumer since none of the other fibre providers offer that

BT Infinity 1 with up to 52 Mbps connection might meet your needs, and is cheaper per month, what speed estimates are you getting from BT Consumer

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Davey_H
(learned) Wed 19-Apr-17 18:18:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If BT Sports HD is a key element, then you are pretty much restricted to BT Consumer since none of the other fibre providers offer that

Plusnet does.

Edited by Davey_H (Wed 19-Apr-17 18:25:00)

Standard User Bepto
(learned) Wed 19-Apr-17 18:46:42
Print Post

From the BT site I get You could get

Fibre broadband
59Mb-77Mb
Estimated download speed* range
54Mb
Minimum speed guarantee*
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Apr-17 19:22:25
Print Post

In which case Infinity 1 should hit speeds of 52 Mbps and thus you only gain at worst 2 Mbps from Infinity 2 or at best 25 Mbps. Your choice if that is worth the extra money.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Apr-17 09:05:28
Print Post

Check out retentions for Infinity 1.

Plenty of us have it for £30 inc line rental or less.
  Print Thread

Jump to