General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User skinnersplace
(newbie) Thu 20-Apr-17 20:34:48
Print Post

ISP with a modem mode option

[link to this post]

Leaving Virgin because of poor speeds at my current home & horrible latency with the SH3.

I am looking for a new supplier, but want someone who will supply only a modem or a combined modem/router with a modem only mode.

I believe BT and Sky/Now TV do not have a modem mode?
Can anyone suggest a suitable ISP?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 21-Apr-17 08:20:52
Print Post

Re: ISP with a modem mode option

[re: skinnersplace] [link to this post]

If you go for an ISP that doesn't require you to use their kit then you can buy your own modem relatively cheaply on ebay. That would bring more ISPs into your option including Sky and BT that you have currently ruled out.
Standard User Divsec
(newbie) Fri 21-Apr-17 08:26:41
Print Post

Re: ISP with a modem mode option *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Apr-17 09:02:50
Print Post

[re: Divsec] [link to this post]

If disabling just Wi-Fi that is not modem mode, but double NAT, and for things like VoIP handsets can be a real pain

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Adduxi
(newbie) Fri 21-Apr-17 09:39:34
Print Post

I have BT and VM (for work reasons) and up to recently used a HG612 on the BT circuit.
I've recently changed to a Draytek Vigor 2860, as the HG612 did not allocate any IPv6 addresses, whereas the Draytek does.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 21-Apr-17 10:37:40
Print Post

[re: Adduxi] [link to this post]

Using the HG612 in the supplied Openreach configuration of bridged modem-only mode then it would not be involved in IP Address allocation. It is the router behind it that does that. Similarly, assuming you are using your 2860 in modem/router mode it is the router component not the modem component handling it.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65273/13554Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Apr-17 11:06:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You would think that, but some modem (bridge) devices do seem to interfere with IPv6

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 21-Apr-17 12:08:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ah, OK.

Maybe a Vigor 130 was what finally wrecked mine until I put the Billion in.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65273/13554Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 21-Apr-17 12:09:55)

Standard User Adduxi
(newbie) Fri 21-Apr-17 14:01:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ahh, sorry, understand now. It was the old TP-Link Router that didn't get IPv6, not the HG612. Whereas the Draytek can do both IPv4 and v6.
Thanks !
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Apr-17 14:03:47
Print Post

[re: Divsec] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Divsec:
Hi, I jumped for the same reasons and got lucky with Talk talk, almost to my surprise. I have my own router behind their modem router and just disabled their WiFi, two radio buttons. Either i am in the perfect location or just lucky but am paying for 76 down and 20 up and always see 74 and 18. Their forum reps are excellent, phone and chat useless. Don't know what else I can say other than keep an eye on top cash back for a few pounds on top. Pm me if you would like a joining link.
D
Nope that seems to be the standard in my experience as well smile

Virgin services suffer congestion much more often.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to