General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User skinnersplace
(newbie) Thu 20-Apr-17 20:34:48
Print Post

ISP with a modem mode option

[link to this post]

Leaving Virgin because of poor speeds at my current home & horrible latency with the SH3.

I am looking for a new supplier, but want someone who will supply only a modem or a combined modem/router with a modem only mode.

I believe BT and Sky/Now TV do not have a modem mode?
Can anyone suggest a suitable ISP?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 21-Apr-17 08:20:52
Print Post

Re: ISP with a modem mode option

[re: skinnersplace] [link to this post]

If you go for an ISP that doesn't require you to use their kit then you can buy your own modem relatively cheaply on ebay. That would bring more ISPs into your option including Sky and BT that you have currently ruled out.
Standard User Divsec
(newbie) Fri 21-Apr-17 08:26:41
Print Post

Re: ISP with a modem mode option *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Apr-17 09:02:50
Print Post

[re: Divsec] [link to this post]

If disabling just Wi-Fi that is not modem mode, but double NAT, and for things like VoIP handsets can be a real pain

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Adduxi
(newbie) Fri 21-Apr-17 09:39:34
Print Post

I have BT and VM (for work reasons) and up to recently used a HG612 on the BT circuit.
I've recently changed to a Draytek Vigor 2860, as the HG612 did not allocate any IPv6 addresses, whereas the Draytek does.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 21-Apr-17 10:37:40
Print Post

[re: Adduxi] [link to this post]

Using the HG612 in the supplied Openreach configuration of bridged modem-only mode then it would not be involved in IP Address allocation. It is the router behind it that does that. Similarly, assuming you are using your 2860 in modem/router mode it is the router component not the modem component handling it.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65273/13554Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Apr-17 11:06:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You would think that, but some modem (bridge) devices do seem to interfere with IPv6

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 21-Apr-17 12:08:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ah, OK.

Maybe a Vigor 130 was what finally wrecked mine until I put the Billion in.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65273/13554Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 21-Apr-17 12:09:55)

Standard User Adduxi
(newbie) Fri 21-Apr-17 14:01:02
Print Post

Ahh, sorry, understand now. It was the old TP-Link Router that didn't get IPv6, not the HG612. Whereas the Draytek can do both IPv4 and v6.
Thanks !
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Apr-17 14:03:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by Divsec:
Hi, I jumped for the same reasons and got lucky with Talk talk, almost to my surprise. I have my own router behind their modem router and just disabled their WiFi, two radio buttons. Either i am in the perfect location or just lucky but am paying for 76 down and 20 up and always see 74 and 18. Their forum reps are excellent, phone and chat useless. Don't know what else I can say other than keep an eye on top cash back for a few pounds on top. Pm me if you would like a joining link.
D
Nope that seems to be the standard in my experience as well smile

Virgin services suffer congestion much more often.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Apr-17 16:09:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by skinnersplace:
Leaving Virgin because of poor speeds at my current home & horrible latency with the SH3.

I am looking for a new supplier, but want someone who will supply only a modem or a combined modem/router with a modem only mode.

I believe BT and Sky/Now TV do not have a modem mode?
Can anyone suggest a suitable ISP?

Please don't bother with NOWTV, I just had mine cut off today because the router they supply is pants and they don't allow any other.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Apr-17 16:12:16
Print Post

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Apr-17 17:55:20
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

You have been on the forums long enough to know the rules on advertising and solicitations, thus the removal of the post.

Standard User ferretuk
(member) Sun 23-Apr-17 09:26:12
Print Post

FWIW I had a Billion 7800X running on an Aquiss connection (BTW) and now have an Edgerouter Lite on AAISP (TTB). Both work(ed) fine for IPv6 with the HG612 as the modem...

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM
Standard User choppersrock
(learned) Sun 23-Apr-17 09:56:32
Print Post

[re: Adduxi] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adduxi:
Ahh, sorry, understand now. It was the old TP-Link Router that didn't get IPv6, not the HG612. Whereas the Draytek can do both IPv4 and v6.
Thanks !

I have just setup my relatives bt infinity connection with an hg612 unlocked and a netgear r7800. Stock netgear firmware would not allocate a valid ipv6 wan address. When I flashed it with kongs build of ddwrt it now fully supports ipv6 on the wan port. The router firmware was the issue and not the hg612.

Sky Fibre Pro - Zyxel vmg8324 (v14 bridge mode) + PFSENSE 2.4.0 with ipv6 - ECI cab, G.INP disabled as of 8th April 2016

http://www.mydslwebstats.co.uk user upload ID skyECI

Edited by choppersrock (Sun 23-Apr-17 09:57:48)

Standard User Mitchy_mitch
(experienced) Sun 23-Apr-17 10:03:57
Print Post

How about placing the ISPs router into DMZ mode and forwarding the IP to your own router. This will ge around it surely ?

Huawei B2268H/B222s-42 connected to ASUS RT-AC68U
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3141683986
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 23-Apr-17 10:07:36
Print Post

[re: Mitchy_mitch] [link to this post]

That seems a bit extreme if the potential problem is double NAT. Disabling DHCP in the router being used as a WAP seems somewhat simpler wink.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 23-Apr-17 10:46:15
Print Post

Another post removed for touting referrals

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Apr-17 11:02:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
You have been on the forums long enough to know the rules on advertising and solicitations, thus the removal of the post.

You are right - so I sent it in PM instead, my bad.
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Apr-17 11:39:16
Print Post

[re: Mitchy_mitch] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Mitchy_mitch:
How about placing the ISPs router into DMZ mode and forwarding the IP to your own router. This will ge around it surely ?
As Bob says, it is better to disable NAT completely rather than use the DMZ feature with NAT disabled. Amongst other things, this completely avoids any issues with NAT table exhaustion and protocols that do not handle double NAT elegantly.

However, there are circumstances where there is no alternative but to use the DMZ. My pfSense box's WAN interface fails over to a 4G connection on a Mi-Fi type device, which cannot run in no-NAT mode. I have a static local IPv4 address on the WAN_MOBILE interface of my pfSense box that is outside the Mi-Fi's DHCP pool, which is the DMZ address configured on the Mi-Fi.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 23-Apr-17 12:07:51
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/faq_english.php#rules

Advertising

We do not allow users to post advertisements or commercial solicitations on our forums. This includes touting one's own equipment for sale. Advertisers wishing to take advantage of our site are welcome to contact us for banner ads. However, we do not have a problem with users posting links to their web sites in signatures, or posts provided their posts are materially useful and are not simply seeking to promote their products (e.g. recommending themselves for every query). Generally we are less tolerant of posters who do have commercial signatures when it comes to what is and is not abuse. We are less strict on ISPs posting in their own forums. Note that the restriction on advertising includes linking to schemes where you receive a commission or benefit of some kind from a user signing up.

To add to that this includes pestering people in private message too, so given your public admission means a suspension is the only recourse

Standard User Mitchy_mitch
(experienced) Sun 23-Apr-17 12:34:47
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

I have the same setup with my 4G connection. I have that in a DMZ mode.

89.104.X.X (ISP Router) <->192.168.2.1 <Ethernet cable> 192.168.1.1 (ASUS)---->my LAN

I know of no other way of being able to use my asus rt-ac68u router.(except as an access point)
Although, i am interested in hearing if anyone has suggestions.

Although it works fine, and i had raspbx running on it for 18 months without many issues.
The issues i did have were mostly due to my raspbx config.

The only problem i do knowingly get is I am unable to run a vpn via the asus as it thinks my wan ip is 192.168.2.1.

Huawei B2268H/B222s-42 connected to ASUS RT-AC68U
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3141683986

Edited by Mitchy_mitch (Sun 23-Apr-17 12:37:41)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to