General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User allie
(newbie) Tue 09-May-17 09:51:33
Print Post

Help got too many providers

[link to this post]

Think I am paying too much.
Got phone plus evening & weekend calls with BT for last 20 yrs paying £18.99 plus £3.80
Broadband was with 02, who were bought over by Sky, they charge £10 pm plus 'penalty' for not having Sky Talk of another £5 pm
Question: should I switch broadband to BT or phone to Sky? O2 were such great providers but since went to Sky broadband quite often crashes for a few minutes which never happened before, but then I've heard BT can be not so good too. No cable in my area. I'm on Milngavie exchange. Any advice would be welcomed thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-May-17 10:49:26
Print Post

Re: Help got too many providers

[re: allie] [link to this post]

Are the 'crashes' reflected by the DSL light on the modem flashing to show its reconnecting?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-May-17 15:07:43
Print Post

O2 were such great providers but since went to Sky broadband quite often crashes for a few minutes which never happened before, but then I've heard BT can be not so good too.
These "crashes" will not be due to the ISP but instead a setup issue or an external fault. Simply put just because you have Sky as an ISP does not mean your line will "crash." The vast majority of customers on Sky, BT, TalkTalk, Plusnet etc do not experience these issues, the fact you have these problems purely demonstrates an underlying issue that needs resolving. Changing ISPs but keeping the same poor setup or not fixing the same external line fault will do very little to resolve thing.

As for your price, what is the total paid for Broadband + Line Rental + Phone.
I am getting £18.99 + £3.80 + £10 + £5 = £37.79 is that accurate?

Are you on fibre service or ADSL2+?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User allie
(newbie) Tue 09-May-17 19:22:07
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Yes £37.79 would be right that's why I thought bundling phone with broadband might be cheaper.
Maybe crashes isn't the right word, I mean I can be on website and the screen jams or I go to open a new tab and get message not connected to server, so I walk away for few mins until it comes back. So it's hardware rather than the ISP?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-May-17 09:47:33
Print Post

That description could be anything from a stall on the PC operating system, through to DSL resync, through to DNS issue, through to temporary routing failure at ISP through to the website itself being slow.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-May-17 10:49:05
Print Post

Does this happen with the router connected to the PC with an ethernet cable?

What are the router line stats?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

plusnet user
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-May-17 14:27:06
Print Post

What router do you have, we can diagnose whether the broadband itself is dropping out? If not, it is your hardware causing the issues.

It would be cheaper to bundle it all together yes, e.g. Sky is only £18.99 a month for ADSL2+ for a new customer (including line rental). I see no reason retention's would be unable to get you close.

Plusnet is £19.99 inc line rental

Talktalk £20 inc line rental

(all prices from uswitch).

For what you are paying you could save £10 and still get fibre with some ISPs.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 10-May-17 14:27:36)

Standard User allie
(newbie) Thu 11-May-17 00:04:27
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Sorry, took me ages to figure out where to find these, hope this helps:
ADSL
2.1 DSL Status : Up
2.2 Uptime : 20 days 3 hours 8 mins 17 secs
2.3 Type : ADSL2+ Annex A
2.4 Line Rate (Up / Down) : 1369 Kbps / 5507 Kbps
2.5 Noise Margin (Up / Down) : 4.4 dB / 8.8 dB
2.6 Attenuation (Up / Down) : 22.4 dB / 39 dB
2.7 Power (Up / Down) : 12.2 dBm /
This all means nothing to me, but any help/advice would be appreciated ta
The router is Thomson O2 wireless box IV

Edited by allie (Thu 11-May-17 00:06:52)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-May-17 07:20:19
Print Post

Those stats show that the router has been connected for many days, so are the drop outs you report wifi related then ?

The downstream sync rate looks lowish for the line attenuation, and the SNR implies something amiss too. Could you please describe the physical set up in your house, telephone points, what's connected where and so forth ?

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 11-May-17 09:55:09
Print Post

You could try connecting the router to the TEST socket within the BT Master Socket to see if the line stats improve e.g. sync rate increases, if they do it would suggest the internal wiring etc could be causing issues.

Putting the line stats into MrSaffron's line speed checker indicates you should be getting better speed from your ADSL2+ service:-

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/index.php?param=RG...

An explanation of line stats from Kitz :- http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_explanation.htm

plusnet user
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to