General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Schorley
(newbie) Wed 10-May-17 19:14:57
Print Post

Virgin or bt fibre - evening stability requirement

[link to this post]

Hello all
We live in nw6 and currently have virgin media (the 50Mbps version). For the most part it's fine - but speed struggles a LOT during weekday evenings like some times recorded speed tests at less than 1Mbps. This is with only myself browsing the web and my wife maybe the same. It means nothing internet related can really happen - and crucially we can't login to work VPNs etc.
Virgin reckon there is a traffic fault which is under investigation but won't be finalised/fixed until Jan 2018...
We are not really heavy users - a bit of Netflix and in the evening likely at least one of us (two) are VPN'd to our work.
So question is : what has the best stability in the evening? -all the speed tests for my postcode suggest we have great broadband on average and a speed test I did just now was OK. But we can't afford the v poor performance. Is BT better than virgin media for this aspect? Also is there any way to see average speed test data in my area by provider averages thorough the day ?
Thanks !
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 10-May-17 20:04:31
Print Post

Re: Virgin or bt fibre - evening stability requirement

[re: Schorley] [link to this post]

You could have a look at this thinkbroadband information link, and also the Map one on the same higher level menu. (The Information tab dropdown).

Edit: Also check your address using this BT Wholesale tool. Do not use the pure Postcode option as for what you want to know it may not be accurate.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63086/13719Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 10-May-17 20:06:40)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-May-17 20:36:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Will the number checker work if his phone is on Virgin?

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 10-May-17 20:39:01
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

I said to check the address wink.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63086/13719Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-May-17 21:13:47
Print Post

Generally speaking VDSL2 is more stable speed wise than the cable network.

Got a link to a speed test result? Our one at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest should show if your connection is suffering at peak times by the two download tests it runs.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-May-17 23:01:23
Print Post

I had the same issues in NW10 and W12 post codes. I have BT and TalkTalk since both are full speed 24/7, never falling below the full speed at all hours. I can do 4K netflix on 2 devices simultaneously with both TalkTalk and BT... On VM I was unable to do one basic stream in very poor quality.

One of the best decisions I made was to ditch VM. I gave it another shot when I moved areas but found equal issues & left within 14 day cooling off.
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-May-17 23:23:31
Print Post

Don't foget that your options are not limited to BT retail. There are a number of very good retailers who use BT Wholesale FTTC.

Line One:- Zen Fibre 1 - DrayTek Vigor 2860ac
Line Two:- Andrews and Arnold - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-May-17 07:25:14
Print Post

Fix expected Jan 2018 ? That's very poor service indeed.

Were it me I'd vote with my feet and leave.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 11-May-17 09:57:24
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

That doesn't sound like the normal meaning of a fix, as in fixing a fault. It sounds more like a massive lack of capacity, with an upgrade due in 2018.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-May-17 10:31:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Whatever the answer, a seven month wait seems a bit rubbish.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to