General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Jul-17 12:43:19
Print Post

Origin Broadband

[link to this post]

Does anyone know anything about Origin Broadband (https://www.originbroadband.com/) ?

It looks like they haven't had terrible good reviews.

Now with Vodafone
Twitter
YouTube

Edited by MrTAToad2 (Mon 03-Jul-17 12:44:18)

Standard User keymaster
(committed) Mon 03-Jul-17 22:32:43
Print Post

Re: Origin Broadband

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

Hi
When they work they are fine and cheap, but when things go wrong (and they do frequently) you can expect to be on hold on support line for 45 mins to an hour and if you are lucky get one of the few decent ones on the phone.
With myself and others I have heard of the errors were comical they were so bad, the quality of the move when you first move to them seems to be a big issue, with me they lied about what I would get, gave me a new telephone number that was same as local junior school and chaged me for internet from day one despite them not being able to supply me for another month,
For two years after this I had no issues and all was perfect until I needed support again lol. I advise looking at the reviews on ispreview site,
K
Standard User woodmass14
(member) Tue 04-Jul-17 10:24:26
Print Post

Been with origin broadband nearly 10 months now on my 2nd line. I've never had an issue with them, get my advertised speeds, connection up time only changes when i restart the router.

I'd say they are worth a shot. Understandable that they have terrible reviews but they are usually down to waiting for an adviser for those odd people who have a fault on there line.

Let me know if you have any questions about them.

Michael.

Edited by woodmass14 (Tue 04-Jul-17 10:42:40)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pernickitypedant
(newbie) Tue 04-Jul-17 14:20:17
Print Post

The old adage rings true - "you pay peanuts, you get monkeys". Within the last year/months they've reinvented themselves as a cheap and cheerful option. Cheap and cheerful they certainly are (one of the cheaper/cheapest options out there for VDSL), but you can be sure they've got a poor backhaul network (i.e. heavily overloaded), far too few support staff (hence the long waits on the phone), and that they avoid paying SFI /repair charges even if it means ignoring faults, etc. etc.

With new customer pricing you really do get what you pay for! If quality matters to you, there are far better options out there.

My setup: Zyxel VMG8924-B10A VDSL2 modem/router & dual-line AAISP/Sipgate SIP modem. AAISP Home::1 80/20 150GB + copper pair on TTB (by req). Sync: 79987/20000 kbit/s, attainable ~91-94000/31-32000 kbit/s via ~180m of 1985 copper to ECI Cabinet 14, Milford Exchange (WMMFD)

BQM: IPv4 & IPv6

ISP Hx: Wanadoo ~2Mb (Orange takeover) > Freedom2Surf ~4Mb (TalkTalk takeover) > Virgin Media 10->30->50->70Mb (unnecessary second line as work reqd BT) > BT Inf 2 80Mb (04/17 rises, no retention offer) > Virgin Media 100Mb (awful pings) > AAISP 80Mb
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Jul-17 18:36:58
Print Post

[re: pernickitypedant] [link to this post]

It sounds like something that should be avoided... I'll probably keep with my current one - there isn't anything good thats cheaper at the moment...

Now with Vodafone
Twitter
YouTube
Standard User adrenalize_
(newbie) Tue 01-Aug-17 22:56:44
Print Post

Bit late to the party I know - been with them a couple of years - did have good service, but since moving and end of contract I regraded from 40Mbps to 80Mbps and the performance has been a lot worse. (used to get 37MBps throughput all day every day)

I might be wrong but it is pretty much just Vodafone or TalkTalk resold (I think they've stopped using Plunet). I'm on a Vodafone IP and a dslgb.com internet gateway so don't think I touch their infrastructure at all.

As Vodafone have added a lot of customers in the past few months I'm guessing the congestion probably lies with them unfortunately. The single thread speed tests is pants at peak times, multithread usually can achieve 80-90+ of sync with a few slow patches - not sure if that is a deliberate throttling ploy or not.

And yes long call wait times for CS - they then usually make the right noises but often don't do as you ask - seems only 1 finance guy for billing or "Jay" actaully get anything done!

Time for a change I guess next time the contract is up.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Aug-17 11:14:55
Print Post

[re: adrenalize_] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adrenalize_:
As Vodafone have added a lot of customers in the past few months.
Maybe that is why they don't have a router to send me for a new connection!

Michael Chare
  Print Thread

Jump to