General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Gravy
(regular) Fri 20-Oct-17 20:16:13
Print Post

What makes Zen and IDNet so fast

[link to this post]

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me what make providers like Zen and IDNet seem to quick? Is it all about contention rate, once outside of the Exchange equipment?
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Oct-17 20:57:37
Print Post

Re: What makes Zen and IDNet so fast

[re: Gravy] [link to this post]

They give the same speeds as any ISP> I have had Zen 80/20 Talk Talk Business 80/20 Infinity 80/20 and Plusnet 80/20

All the same for me - 74/19 24/7
Standard User Roksan
(newbie) Fri 20-Oct-17 22:00:56
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Migrating from Origin Broadband to IDNet in stability & speed was like moving from wet (slightly damp) string as a connection medium to actual metal cable. Huge difference esp. since Origin 'Upgraded' (downgraded) their network & cut my speed to enhanced dial up. I wondered what the noise was? Not that bad really but a big difference, plus IDNet actually do exactly what they say they will.

One thing that's a big improvement is the connection to Netflix servers which is a vast improvement throughout the day & evening, it used to drop greatly with Origin now it doesn't.

Edited by Roksan (Fri 20-Oct-17 22:05:11)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 20-Oct-17 23:18:27
Print Post

[re: Gravy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Gravy:
Hi there,

Can anyone tell me what make providers like Zen and IDNet seem to quick? Is it all about contention rate, once outside of the Exchange equipment?
Pretty well.

Their origin was in business users who wanted rapid response for their field staff and business customers. That meant having higher in-house and link to BT Wholesale capacity per user than the ISPs who were aimed at the likes of us.

Then the obvious happened. They realised that at night they had huge unused capacity, so by developing end-user products for people who were at work or school during the day, they could offer a better service then the mass-market ones, and so charge more than the norm for it.

This helped cover the costs of providing the high capacity for their business customers, thus meaning they could offer the business ones lower prices. Or simply make more profit wink.

This also originally is why they offered a lower download allowance. As the costs they have for the networks has dropped dramatically over the years they have begun to offer "unlimited" or at least larger packages, but can still charge a premium price. Not as high as in the past however.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 73724/12601Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User ansam
(member) Wed 15-Nov-17 12:49:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by Gravy:
Hi there,

Pretty well.

Their origin was in business users who wanted rapid response for their field staff and business customers. That meant having higher in-house and link to BT Wholesale capacity per user than the ISPs who were aimed at the likes of us.

Then the obvious happened. They realised that at night they had huge unused capacity, so by developing end-user products for people who were at work or school during the day, they could offer a better service then the mass-market ones, and so charge more than the norm for it.

This helped cover the costs of providing the high capacity for their business customers, thus meaning they could offer the business ones lower prices. Or simply make more profit wink.

This also originally is why they offered a lower download allowance. As the costs they have for the networks has dropped dramatically over the years they have begun to offer "unlimited" or at least larger packages, but can still charge a premium price. Not as high as in the past however.

So do you think that the "premium" pricing is no longer justified on that basis? or would they counter the argument its more about support than it is the quality of the network?

Connection - BT Infinity 2.
My Broadband Ping
Standard User 3MbBik
(learned) Wed 15-Nov-17 15:53:36
Print Post

[re: ansam] [link to this post]

This quality of performance is typical of my Zen service over the entire 24 hour period, so I am presently happy to continue with them, but I do run a daily check since suffering four months of severe single thread degradation early on in the initial 12 month contract period.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15107602795...

Godfrey.
Standard User Roksan
(newbie) Wed 15-Nov-17 19:16:12
Print Post

[re: 3MbBik] [link to this post]

I joined IDNet over a month ago & my speeds down are not to different from my previous ISP, my up speed is consistently around 3 Meg faster. The main difference is my speeds hold up much more during busy periods. In the past (Maybe 4 months ago & before) I've had regular speeds over 73 or so (using PlusNet reseller) & was sort of hoping for better speeds than now, but 5 Meg lower that six months ago isn't the end of the world by any means.

I've done everything I to optimise my gear but never get over 68. My cab is under 150 metres away, so you arenít always going to get a better speed. But am I pleased with IDNet? Yes very much so.

My Broadband Speed Test Peak time for me

Edited by Roksan (Wed 15-Nov-17 19:21:41)

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Nov-17 20:46:10
Print Post

[re: Roksan] [link to this post]

Roksan,

Can you post your graph and your BQM snapshot assuming you are running that.

You should be seeing single thread speed that are almost identical to your x6 result. (like 3MbBik's)

Something doesn't look right with the results you have just posted.

Might be worth checking with IDNet that you aren't on a Zen backhaul as you might be suffering from the same Zen single thread problem that 3MbBik mentioned in his post.
Standard User Ixel
(member) Wed 15-Nov-17 22:17:28
Print Post

[re: Roksan] [link to this post]

That single threaded speed test for downstream looks near to what I was having with Zen for a while and still did off and on after they claimed to fix it before I stopped using Zen. Makes me believe you're going via the Zen network so I'd check with IDNet if you are.

Here's an example of a normal speed test on AAISP via TalkTalk Business (also running QoS on my EdgeRouter):
My Broadband Speed Test

Here's a bad one I had with Zen when I was using their service:
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Ixel (Wed 15-Nov-17 22:18:36)

Standard User Roksan
(newbie) Wed 15-Nov-17 22:59:12
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/but...

My Broadband Ping

Doh - Not sure how to post graph - Go to back of class! My single thread is always very low dipping to 30 or less.

Edited by Roksan (Wed 15-Nov-17 23:03:32)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to