General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Nov-17 23:08:38
Print Post

Re: What makes Zen and IDNet so fast

[re: Roksan] [link to this post]

Graph link is https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/but...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Roksan
(newbie) Wed 15-Nov-17 23:30:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks!
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/but...
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Nov-17 23:40:36
Print Post

Definitely report it to IDNet.

They pride themselves on their network utilisation:

"We guarantee no contention on our network, no throttling, no traffic shaping & no port blocking. No contention on our network is achieved by not oversubscribing our broadband services and ensuring that bandwidth investment exceeds customer demand. This means that we can guarantee the maximum throughput that your line can support at all times."

You are getting significantly less than your line can support, so something is not quite right. It's conjecture at the moment about whether this is down to you being on Zen backhaul, but it's definitely worth asking then why.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Roksan
(newbie) Thu 16-Nov-17 00:14:29
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

I'm inclined to do that, to some degree the speed is dropping slightly & I thought it may pick-up - 53 at 11:30pm with no one else using it isn't staggering. 46.5 on Okla @ 12:12 isn't wonderful either. I have enquired about Traffic Priority? Thank you for the help.smile As it is things are far better than my last ISP though!

Edited by Roksan (Thu 16-Nov-17 00:17:57)

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 16-Nov-17 08:40:55
Print Post

I am slightly intrigued.

Your BQM graph is showing no signs of any issues, so I don't think it's down to network congestion, so I doubt traffic prioritisation would make much difference. They can switch it on for a month and then switch it back off again if you fancy a £10 punt.

The fact that Ookla speed tests are showing some variability in your speed tests suggests that it isn't an anomaly from the TBB speed test.

Firstly, can you confirm you are on a wired connection.

Secondly are you able to post your router stats here.
Standard User Roksan
(newbie) Thu 16-Nov-17 09:35:39
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

Hi - Yes I'm on a wired (Cat7) connection. I've also run speed tests with my MacBook Pro wired & my Windows laptop with much the same results so it's not this PC which is half decent anyway. I'm actually using a separate modem (New Comtrend) & router (Netgear (AC1900) so there isn't much in stats. All cables have been changed recently. Not much else if anything I can do really.

BT checked the line a couple of months ago & didnít really find anything, (fitted a new faceplate) if I walk 20 metres down my road to a small junction I can see the Cab. I had really accepted things as they were to be honest.

To complicate matters I have had problems with the router every week or more apparently issuing a disconnect command & in process of changing router, though it works OK rest of time, the reason for it doing this seems unknown. When this happens I don't lose sync though & there is no DLM on line I'm told - Iím hoping this problem is unrelated.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/but...

Edited by Roksan (Thu 16-Nov-17 09:38:59)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to