General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 12-Dec-17 19:31:08
Print Post

Re: Moving from Virgin Media to Vodafone Broadband

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

It says Jul 2017
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Tue 12-Dec-17 20:55:20
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yes that would be the one

BUT..... I did use the supplied ECI Openreach Modem (as I was told to do so by the ISP)

So now I am thinking it's ADSL only... blush

CJT.

On NOW TV Broadband up to 38 Mbps

Edited by CJT (Tue 12-Dec-17 20:57:21)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 12-Dec-17 21:45:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by CJT:
BUT..... I did use the supplied ECI Openreach Modem (as I was told to do so by the ISP)
That would explain it

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Tue 12-Dec-17 22:26:29
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Where as this does both! blush

CJT.

Standard User Brutos
(newbie) Tue 12-Dec-17 23:06:42
Print Post

I am moving from Vodafone to Virgin Media due to major congestion issues on their network. It was fine for about a year now bam between 6pm to 12pm connection goes from 70Mbps to under 10Mbps i was told the cab to exchange needs a new fibre because of capacity issues, and it will take weeks so i demanded to end my contract without fees which they agree to.

If VM is also bad i just jump to someone else refuse to accept poor BB in 2017
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-Dec-17 10:16:38
Print Post

[re: Brutos] [link to this post]

If was the fibre between the cab and exchange that would impact on all customers on that cab, so talk with neighbours if their providers are good when yours is bad suggests its more likely to be in the Vodafone backhaul area

Providers are well versed in making any congestion appear to not be in their domain and thus always waiting on others to fix it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Brutos
(newbie) Wed 13-Dec-17 12:55:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I will actually check with my neighbours to see if anyone else is having issues, I went with VM for now as I can test for 14 days then cancel and switch back to FTTC which I hope will be fixed by then.

Yesterday I was getting 5-6 Meg, I am still skeptial about VM as checking their forums customers are having so many speed issues so at this point it seems am jumping from the frying into the fire. Granted you will always get the complaints and not the praises on forums.

So at this point i probable have a better chance of winning the lottery
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Dec-17 14:37:19
Print Post

VM is really area dependant, and issues are very localised e.g. to half a street. The way the network is setup, if you have a few heavy downloads in one area it'll slowdown for the users in that area, but the next street might be entirely different.

I left VM once in the cooling off - really easy! They refunded me and didn't even charge for the days of usage. This was when BT offered me a cracking deal on my switchover date lol.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 13-Dec-17 14:37:58)

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 14-Dec-17 11:33:52
Print Post

I left Virgin because in my opinion they are over priced and unreliable.

At least with the OpenReach network (or BTWholesale) you have a choice of providers who you can move to. another provider if your service from them is poor (congestion, customer service etc).

With Virgin it's them and them only for cable for most of the UK.

Their customer service is patchy at best, and awful most of the time. I rang them on 3 or 4 occasions to explain that one of the exterior junction boxes of theirs has no cover and is exposed to the elements, I may as well have spoken a foreign language, they had no idea and no interest.

I have looked at Uno but I have been advised that "as yet" they are unable to transfer my service to them as I am on Now TV (Sky), but it's in progress for them to be able to... so I may move to them.

smile

(changed one word to avoid the censor)

CJT.

Standard User Brutos
(newbie) Thu 14-Dec-17 19:22:54
Print Post

Well at the moment I am lucky enough to have access to VM and the full OR network so I have a lot of providers to choose from. As i had this same congestion issue with Sky and Vodafone on the same exchange around the same time of the year November/December I want to give VM a try, if they cant provide me with the speed just like I did with Sky and Vodafone, I will leave in contract without any early termination fees.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to