General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User area51r4
(newbie) Wed 22-Nov-17 00:21:15
Print Post

Looking to upgrade to fibre?

[link to this post]

Hi been on Sky standard upto 11 meg odd but been out of contract for a long while and there charging me too much as also whack me for not having TV also!

Been looking at fibre have round here SKY/BT(so guess Plusnet)/Talktalk and a few others in E2 london.
Been charged £37 but want a better deal looking for idealy unlimited as game so have to down load shed loads sometimes if reinstall HD's for one.
Don't down load much else as mostly browse/mail etc and not sure what my monthly amount is i use but i might be under 25gb but looking for low latency esp with W10 rubbish going on.

Looking at the Vodafone just now along with a few others but what would anyone recommend of late?
As not totally ofay with B band facts and figures As having Fibromyalgia along with a small stoke have short term+ memory issues so can't hold it all in!

Idealy under £30 but if over works out far better for a bit extra guess could manage as ones like BT have prepaid card thing.

Another thing how much difference will i find between 38meg and i think it's 70 odd meg in the real world yes it will down load a movie in X but most down loading is games and updates once in a while.
But what would it do/enable in game play? Many thanks
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 22-Nov-17 11:02:29
Print Post

Re: Looking to upgrade to fibre?

[re: area51r4] [link to this post]

I use a 2nd hand Zyxel VMG8924-B10A to connect to 38Mbps Vodafone FTTC. I am 450m from the cabinet, the cable is all underground. The connection is very stable.

I choose Vodafone mainly because of the low price. There are no LLU operators at the local exchange.

The Vodafone router does not have a good reputation, mainly because of its poor Wifi which starts to fail if there are many, or heavily used devices connected.

I think I lost service over a weekend when I switched from Plusnet ADSL. I was not present at the time so I can not be completely certain.

It is easier to contact Vodafone's support than Plusnet's support!

Michael Chare
Standard User area51r4
(newbie) Wed 22-Nov-17 16:45:19
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Hi did think about C support as Plusnet isn't over endowed in the CS dept reading from places.

I take it FTTP is a more drawn out process as need to run cables etc where as FTTC you can use most routers?

not worried about wifi as rarely use it
Mind BT make such a noise about it when that's down to the router and most of theres are pants anyway!!!

My friend picked the Vodafone one up earlier as a deal when had a look

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Mml
(regular) Wed 22-Nov-17 17:54:12
Print Post

I helped my neighbour sign up to Vodafone a few months ago.
There were issues, mainly with their phone support, their sales team charged us 9.95 for router delivery without warning, and their support phone number uses a "tell me why you're calling today" type of robot (hate them). Also their support number seems to have issues with sound - there were several times when either a robot or a living person on the other end couldn't hear me.
On a good side, with Vodafone you can book a call back which PN don't offer, so you're not sat for 40 minutes listening to their music; and music on Vodafone's support line is better than that of PN too.
Best of all: Vodafone's broadband itself has been flawless up until now.

Edited by Mml (Wed 22-Nov-17 18:01:03)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 22-Nov-17 21:56:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by area51r4:
I take it FTTP is a more drawn out process as need to run cables etc where as FTTC you can use most routers?

There is FTTP and FTTP on Demand.

FTTP on Demand is quite widely available, but very expensive. There are a few areas where FTTP has been rolled out to all the properties in an area. If this is done by BT, then the BT pricing is similar or the same as FTTC; the choice of suppliers is limited. There are other FTTP suppliers who lay their own networks.

I am not aware of Vodafone supplying any retail FTTP services.

There is a wide choice of VDSL2 router/modems for FTTC. In the case of Vodafone you have to ask them for then connection userid and password, and tell then which of the routers on the BT approved list you will use. What you actually use might be different.

Michael Chare
Standard User area51r4
(newbie) Mon 27-Nov-17 17:39:12
Print Post

Hi well stayed with SKY got fibre max for £30 next month no bill as gave me £30 'bonus' as said there's a £50 card doey it say's but told for new user's!

Voda was £25 and plusnet similar but not sure on them plus have to do a switch over

And no one came back with more info so thought would stay put
Standard User area51r4
(newbie) Sun 03-Dec-17 00:29:34
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Hi using the new black box router they supplied fibre not switching till the 4th but when boot up no network have to repair ethernet connection as says no ip etc is that because it's not gone fibre or something else was ok first day started day after than tonight had to faff about for a while before could get it to work
yet had it working wifi to phone
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 03-Dec-17 10:22:02
Print Post

And the black box router is connected to what on the Internet side?

Sounds more likely that the PC is just not too happy about having seen a change in Ethernet networks

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User area51r4
(newbie) Sun 03-Dec-17 14:07:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Black box/router is connected via there grey lead with matching purple plugs! into a box that plugs into phone socket which has 2 sockets one for net other for phone

On windows 10! which probably says enough?

It recetified it's self after a short while today Sky asked about network card said it's on board it's realtek one
  Print Thread

Jump to