General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fireblade_rrw
(member) Wed 03-Jan-18 12:28:20
Print Post

ISP Routers That Supports VPN - Help

[link to this post]

Hello,

I'm currently with Sky and about to move ISP very soon for a variety of reasons. I've purchased a VPN which I'm delighted with, Sky routers are pretty much locked down, and I cant configure it for my VPN.

Does any one know of an ISP who's router can be configured for a VPN? I don't want to buy a VPN router just to plug into my existing router.

Cheers

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Jan-18 22:31:47
Print Post

Re: ISP Routers That Supports VPN - Help

[re: fireblade_rrw] [link to this post]

Do you mean that you have subscribed to a publicly available VPN?

Most ISPs allow you to use your own equipment so you could chose a router that is compatible with the VPN supplier

Michael Chare
Standard User ian007jen
(experienced) Thu 04-Jan-18 14:13:11
Print Post

None of the major ISP's routers support a VPN (set up from router to your host; you will have to but a new router if you want that advanced setup.

All routers should support a VPN tunnel from a device on your network to your VPN endpoint.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Thu 04-Jan-18 15:32:38
Print Post

VPN - Which direction or both?
An indication of what you hope to achieve would be useful to know.
Maybe settings >>> Network and Internet >>> VPN might be all you need.
Even Teamviewer might surfice.

Otherwise it is a case of buying a suitable router with one from the Draytek range being a good choice but they don't come cheap.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Jan-18 16:14:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by fireblade_rrw:
Hello,

I'm currently with Sky and about to move ISP very soon for a variety of reasons. I've purchased a VPN which I'm delighted with, Sky routers are pretty much locked down, and I cant configure it for my VPN.

Does any one know of an ISP who's router can be configured for a VPN? I don't want to buy a VPN router just to plug into my existing router.

Cheers

Zero - to run a VPN you have to have ports externally facing, which is in itself a security risk. ISPs would need to constantly ensure the firmware was updated with bug-fixes and security updates to ensure security, which is a headache. Instead ISPs allow you to manually open ports yourself, which is your choice and your security risk, you can install a VPN of your choice and place it in the DMZ / port forward, but ultimately the security risk is your VPN software not something ISP provided. Likewise if you get your own router, that's your job to keep updated and managed. I generally advise against using a VPN hosted on a router, as it usually ends up full of security holes and updates to the router firmware are behind the VPN providers security patches / updates.
Standard User danielhyde
(newbie) Thu 04-Jan-18 16:26:02
Print Post

Hi,

Zen Internet can provide you with a Fritzbox that will be compatible with VPN's
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-Jan-18 16:36:14
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Really? To run a VPN client you should not normally need ports to be visible from the Internet. If talking about a VPN server then you would be right.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Jan-18 17:44:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Iím assuming theyíre looking to setup their router as a VPN server. Many routers have this built in, but in my view itís a security risk.

VPN clients can work even in highly restrictive environments, NAT Traversal (Hole Punching) etc is very effective.
Standard User ian007jen
(experienced) Thu 04-Jan-18 17:50:50
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I thought VPN client on router....ie. all LAN clients "benefit" from secure VPN connection
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Jan-18 18:05:29
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

Whatís the benefit of this over using WPA2? Surely things are secured by the WiFi encryption?

I think Iím misunderstanding what youíre suggesting.

EDIT: oh do you mean something similar to an MPLS ie everything on the device is tunnelled.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 04-Jan-18 18:08:43)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to