General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ryan_Stevens
(newbie) Thu 18-Jan-18 13:10:09
Print Post

Re: ISP Routers That Supports VPN - Help

[re: fireblade_rrw] [link to this post]

I'm personally using NETGEAR Wireless Router AC1900 (R7000-100PES) is indeed a best VPN router when you are willing to set up a VPN server with this router. Here is the solution provided by Netgear Community: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23854/... you must go through to find a better solution.
Standard User fireblade_rrw
(member) Wed 31-Jan-18 19:00:08
Print Post

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like most of the major ISP's dont/won't allow configuration of their router to route traffic via a VPN. Also, some ISP's don't allow you to use your own router. Sky is a good example, their router is pretty much locked down yo their configuration.

It looks like using Zen may be an option, if they have a configurable router.

(member) Wed 31-Jan-18 19:02:26
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by danielhyde:
Hi,

Zen Internet can provide you with a Fritzbox that will be compatible with VPN's

Thank you, think I'll contact Zen and confirm.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Wed 31-Jan-18 19:04:16
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Alas, I've discovered that most ISP's don't allow reconfigurat ion of their equipment.

Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Wed 31-Jan-18 20:22:30
Print Post

The obvious answer is to use your own equipment that will meet your requirements. I have never used an ISP supplied modem or router so I have control over the configuration of my own device.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Feb-18 10:23:25
Print Post

Sky don't support other routers but there are many Sky customers out their using their own equipment and guides around for how to do it.
Standard User woodroyd
(member) Thu 01-Feb-18 10:24:59
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

While reading this thread, I had a look at my HH6.
Under VPN, it has this message
"Your BT Smart Hub has been designed to work with most virtual private network (VPN) software.
If you're having problems connecting, try turning port clamping on. "
Is there any reason to have a router that you can configure for a VPN rather than software?
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Feb-18 10:48:26
Print Post

[re: woodroyd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by woodroyd:
Is there any reason to have a router that you can configure for a VPN rather than software?

If you setup a VPN at router level then all devices connected to that router will automatically be routed via your chosen VPN. You don't have to worry about installing VPN software on all your clients, also not all devices/clients can have VPN software installed.

OP, as I suggested earlier its really very easy to setup a commercial VPN client on a router. Buy any Asus modem router such as an Asus DSL-AC88U, use the VPN client option on it to enter your VPN provider's login details, choose the appropriate connection protocol and Bobs yer uncle. It really is that simple. Though if you're on Sky then you will need to extract your login credentials from the Sky supplied router before you can use a third party router - have a gander on the skyuser forums on how to do this.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10

Edited by baby_frogmella (Thu 01-Feb-18 10:53:49)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Feb-18 16:53:17
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I concur

As I've seen over the years once you give more options in software or hardware the task of supporting becomes ever harder, hence a drive to fairly simple devices from ISP that will keep 98% of customers happy

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to