General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User huwwatkins
(committed) Tue 06-Feb-18 09:42:04
Print Post

TTB Backhaul

[link to this post]

Hi
I'm looking at getting a second line installed due to ongoing packet loss issues with Origin Broadband.

Can anyone tell me apart from Xilo and AAISP does any other ISP offer TalkTalk back haul options? I used Vivaciti about 5 years ago with them but I think they have changed that now.

Thanks
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Feb-18 09:55:32
Print Post

Re: TTB Backhaul

[re: huwwatkins] [link to this post]

Rather evidently both Talktalk and TalkTalk Business use TT back haul.

Pulse8 are a TTB reseller and IDNet offer TTB as one of their back haul options.

On my IDNet line, BTW backhaul has worked much better than the the TTB backhaul, but that may be down to some vagaries of my fibre exchange.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 06-Feb-18 10:26:19
Print Post

I think it is the Uno arm of Xilo, not Xilo itself.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 75808/13984Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User huwwatkins
(committed) Tue 06-Feb-18 11:45:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks. I always get confused between Xilo and Uno.

I just signed up to Talk Talk business on the ADSL2+ package. Their offer was too good not to try. They even waived the new phone line install fee due to there being issues with the online checker.

Thanks!
Standard User craski
(committed) Tue 06-Feb-18 11:59:47
Print Post

I use TTB direct and have had a good experience with them in the first 6 months.

Zen Business FTTC BQM
Talk Talk Business FTTC BQM
IDNET ADSL BQM
Standard User Davey_H
(regular) Tue 06-Feb-18 12:45:29
Print Post

Pulse8 do
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Feb-18 12:52:45
Print Post

[re: Davey_H] [link to this post]

As do the PO and at a Non LLU exchange the service I had was very poor. I was alowed to leave the contract early.

Michael Chare
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Feb-18 14:38:44
Print Post

You didn't exactly hang around after asking the question!

The downside with TTB is the 24 month contract. Contrast that with Pulse8 or IDNet who both now operate on monthly terms. I believe you have the option of pulling out the TTB contract whenever they apply price rises.

The other downside with TT, TTB and Pulse8 is that you are on MPF lines and it will cost you a significant amount to move your phone line back to BTW should you ever wish to do so.

Uno and IDNet are different in that they only contract the broadband connection through TTB and your phone line remains with BTW.

Not saying that you have made a bad decision, just qualifying the position.

(Edit to take the S off SMPF - perhaps the extra S was for Stupid error!)

Edited by jaydub (Tue 06-Feb-18 19:47:06)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 06-Feb-18 16:42:58
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

I think you can stay on SMPF with Pulse8 if you ask for it.

I took their WLR line while I decided what to do with my FTTC between them unlimited and AAISP allowance, or AAISP with VOIP, and vaguely recall asking them if I had to go MPF if I moved my FTTC to them once I decided. IIRC they said I could stay on WLR3.

Also there has been someone since on these forums I'm fairly sure has that setup with Pulse8. TTB FTTC and WLR3 line.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 75808/13984Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-Feb-18 17:17:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by jaydub:
The other downside with TT, TTB and Pulse8 is that you are on SMPF lines and it will cost you a significant amount to move your phone line back to BTW should you ever wish to do so.

Do you mean MPF?

Uno and IDNet are different in that they only contract the broadband connection through TTB and your phone line remains with BTW.

We actually offer both. Broadband-only, or bundled - depending on what product is ordered.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 06-Feb-18 17:31:56
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Oops. Funny I didn't spot that in his post, but replied as though he had written MPF. Strange things, human brains.

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Feb-18 19:48:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I think you can stay on SMPF with Pulse8 if you ask for it.

I took their WLR line while I decided what to do with my FTTC between them unlimited and AAISP allowance, or AAISP with VOIP, and vaguely recall asking them if I had to go MPF if I moved my FTTC to them once I decided. IIRC they said I could stay on WLR3.

Also there has been someone since on these forums I'm fairly sure has that setup with Pulse8. TTB FTTC and WLR3 line.

I think so too, although when I discussed this with Adam I got the impression that they could do it, but not at the same price.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Feb-18 19:55:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by uno:
Do you mean MPF?

I certainly did. Bit of a basic error. Now amended with suitable caveat in my earlier post.

In reply to a post by uno:
We actually offer both. Broadband-only, or bundled - depending on what product is ordered.

Matt

I had forgotten your bundled Talk Surf Fibre option, probably because it still only seems to be available on certain exchanges of which mine isn't on. That in itself is a shame as I would almost certainly have been one of your customers if you could have offered me Phone and 80/20 FTTC at your Talk Surf Fibre prices.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Feb-18 20:24:26
Print Post

The other downside with TT, TTB and Pulse8 is that you are on MPF lines and it will cost you a significant amount to move your phone line back to BTW should you ever wish to do so.

Really? I paid the big fat sum of £0 when I moved from TTB ( direct customer) to a BTW tel line (post office) and where my TTB broadband was ceased completely. So TalkTalk direct customers certainly donít pay anything to migrate or cease their service. Pulse8? No idea, as Iíve never been a customer of theirs.

OP, good choice selecting TTB. I was with them for >5 years, great speeds all the time with decent Warrington based support. Many of their support staff are ex-Zen. In addition to mid-contract price rises, they also let you leave penalty free if they canít fix any fault within 28 days. I only left them d/t getting a FTTP line installed, would happily go back to them if they offered a service over pure fibre.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 06-Feb-18 21:21:45
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:

Really? I paid the big fat sum of £0 when I moved from TTB ( direct customer) to a BTW tel line (post office) and where my TTB broadband was ceased completely. So TalkTalk direct customers certainly donít pay anything to migrate or cease their service
Your phone line remained on TT Business in that scenario. They just (probably) moved you to WLR3.

All Post Office phone and broadband services were contracted out to TTB years ago.

(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Feb-18 21:40:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

Really? I paid the big fat sum of £0 when I moved from TTB ( direct customer) to a BTW tel line (post office) and where my TTB broadband was ceased completely. So TalkTalk direct customers certainly donít pay anything to migrate or cease their service
Your phone line remained on TT Business in that scenario. They just (probably) moved you to WLR3.

All Post Office phone and broadband services were contracted out to TTB years ago.

Not anymore Bob, Post Office phone lines on their own are now through BT Wholesale while their broadband continues to be through TalkTalk. I was definitely moved to a BT based line - with the proof being that the BT dsl checker now recognised my post office number.
Even if I had moved both broadband and phone to BT retail, TTB still wouldnít have charged me anything as they confirmed to me. I believe itís only the TTB resellers who charge hefty fees for migrations back to BT.

Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 06-Feb-18 22:24:57
Print Post

Maybe we are both wrong smile. When did you move?

Link.

Edit: WLR3 is Openreach Wholesale Line Rental, which is confusing as it isn't BT Wholesale. Though perhaps BT Wholesale-based CPs get it via BT Wholesale. Certainly some go direct to Openreach to supply it.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 06-Feb-18 22:27:33)

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-Feb-18 00:36:29
Print Post

It could also be that PO are getting a WLR3 service indirectly via TTB who get this from OR.

BT Wholesale don't do it as far as I know (they do the calls part if you want that on your OR WLR3 line) but instead of billing for those directly they can pass the charges over to OR so you get one bill for both services.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 07-Feb-18 00:45:26
Print Post

Thanks for the further detail Matt, I never got a straight answer from other people who like you should know.

It never occurred to me about the calls side being BTW even though the line was OR. Hence my confusion smile. Routing the call charges through OR is neat.

(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Feb-18 06:49:38
Print Post

I moved back in Oct. Iím pretty sure if my line was still talktalk based then the bt dsl checker wouldnít have recognised it by line number - as is usually the case on LLU line numbers. Also there was a outage of 2-3 hours which suggests physical work was done at the exchange. Anyway itís a moot point as TalkTalk business made it very clear to me that they wouldnít charge me a penny to migrate to another provider - whether that was PO,BT retail, or another LLU provider. I suspect they swallow the Openreach migration/cease fees unlike the smaller providers.

Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User huwwatkins
(committed) Wed 07-Feb-18 09:25:33
Print Post

I've only gone for ADSL2+ which ends up being £16.95 for 12 months with a free line install. I couldn't see anyone else coming close on this (especially the line install) so jumped on it.

I would have preferred someone like Uno or Pulse8 but couldn't justify the cost difference for a second line.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Feb-18 09:27:41
Print Post

Even if I had moved both broadband and phone to BT retail, TTB still wouldnít have charged me anything as they confirmed to me. I believe itís only the TTB resellers who charge hefty fees for migrations back to BT.

I wasn't suggesting Pulse8 charged. They didn't.

There is a BTW charge for migrating an LLU phone line; essentially the same cost as a new line.

What the ISPs charge varies: When I from Pulse8 to Aquiss, the fee was £72; if I'd moved to IDNet it would have been £90. Some others, e.g BT just charge a flat rate fee for migrations. Perhaps your PO line was the same.

Ultimately the ISP will be paying for a new line install and if they are not charging you, they are subsidising it from their monthly fees.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to