General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 05-Mar-18 18:42:00
Print Post

Re: FTTC only Market 1 Best ISP

[re: 69bertie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 69bertie:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
But your post and this are way off topic
What the? You hold a seminar for what was a one sentence, end of. The rest of my post was relevant to the OP. Go figure!
Really.
Same boat here really (Market 1). Unfortunately no LLU means whoever you go with it OpenReach are somewhere in the mix.
Garbage. LLU does not remove Openreach whether or not LLU is present. Not on ADSLx, not on FTTC/P. (There is no such thing anyway as LLU FTTC/P). The only way you avoid Openreach is networks like CityFibre.

As a nit-picking detail seeing as you are being rather rude considering I gave you significant help over your hijacking complaint about power cuts and DLM, Market 1, 2, 3 classifications ceased to exist on 26 June 2014. (It wasn't worth bothering the OP about this). The only two classifications now are Market A and Market B. Whatever you may see on samknows.

A lot of "Market 1" exchanges are in Market B. It seems likely yours is however in Market A. The OP's is, which is why it wasn't worth pointing it out until you started to throw your weight about.
As I kept getting leaflets about Talk Talk I thought I'd give them a try. Went through the sign up process only to fall at the instance. They don't service the exchange. So still stuck with Plusnet.
Completely irrelevant to the OP.
They are OK, although I would say when I have used their Customer Service I have always got a result. But cheap and cheerful does come to mind.
Wow, something useful!
Until I can get away from OR I really can't see much point going elsewhere.
As explained, your chances of getting away from Openreach approximate to zero at a Market A exchange.
Pages load fine, it's the constant up and down with DLM that really gets me. We have had a lot of power cuts of late (weather related) and all DLM seems to want to do is punish me by sending me downwards.
Which I gave you sound advice on and suggested that if you want to know more, from anyone, about UPSs you should open a thread in a relevant forum. Rather than continue that discussion in this thread.
Go figure!
Precisely what you need to do, instead of being so darn rude!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 76102/14089Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 05-Mar-18 18:43:25)

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Mar-18 18:44:33
Print Post

[re: Dodgexander] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Dodgexander:
Ah so this is why Uno don't offer line rental for me any more. Makes sense. Thanks

We can offer that for any broadband only service, check box on the second page of the order. smile

It's just not a bundled service

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User Dodgexander
(learned) Tue 13-Mar-18 12:01:17
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

My cabinet is a new one built that connects to the Plumpton exchange I am sure. But I thought from reading on here that it's possible the line goes from the village exchange to a town exchange before reaching any network beyond openreach.

What I'm trying to ascertain is how much of a difference is it going to make? If the signal is already congested until it goes to a larger exchange then why bother having a better isp beyond that?

Those lucky enough to connect to services directly I know there's a benefit having a bespoke isp but how much difference does it make for those who are going to be connected locally by openreach anyway?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Mar-18 13:20:40
Print Post

"Those lucky enough to connect to services directly I know there's a benefit having a bespoke isp but how much difference does it make for those who are going to be connected locally by openreach anyway?"

I don't understand, no provider is able to pick on the FTTC services directly at the VDSL2 cabinet, all providers BT Wholesale, TalkTalk, Sky etc etc are limited to picking up the service from the Handover exchange.

Some providers buy wholesale services (usually from BT Wholesale or TalkTalk Wholesale) where there are additional options, e.g. pick up your bandwidth at a regional level node or even just one national node.

Congestion in the fibre segment between cabinet and handover exchange is rarer than congestion in the handover links which is rarer than congestion in the regional nodes that wholesalers operate.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 13-Mar-18 14:06:50
Print Post

The likelihood of congestion between the FTTC cabinet and the Openreach exchange handover point is extremely low. Particularly over an extended period.

Which exchange that is doesn't matter, but given that Plumpton is a Market A exchange it is certain that it is not hold the fibre handover. The fibre itself may or may not go anywhere near it, as the signals for fibre and phone line are completely separated at the FTTC cabinet on the way out from you.

At the handover point, each wholesaler, (BT Wholesale, TalkTalk Business Wholesale and Vodafone), buy throughput capacity, and congestion can occur for their supplied ISPs if the wholesaler does not buy enough.

Again, for BT Wholesale to have that handover from Openreach to them congested is very unlikely.

Very few providers do not use Openreach to provide fibre (and phone line) connections. Only the likes of Hyperoptic and CityFibre, which are bsically only present in big cities.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 76102/14089Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Mar-18 14:47:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Believe handover for Plumpton is Lewes

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Mar-18 15:18:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

You are correct.

CSS Exchange: PLMPT/ PLUMPTON
OHP District code: SD
OHP Exchange code: LWS
OHP Exchange name: LEWES

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User Dodgexander
(learned) Tue 13-Mar-18 17:56:21
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

So the bottom line is there's probably just as much of a difference because most likely any congestion will be on a higher level than locally?

I'd love to go uno again but the problem is cost. Does anyone know the best value phone line rental? Preferably with good priced phone calls or decent package options that I could combine with uno?
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Mar-18 18:07:34
Print Post

https://pulse8broadband.co.uk/line-packages

£13/month. 1p/minute peak time, no call set up fee and per second billing.

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Mar-18 18:44:29
Print Post

You can just add our standard rental? wink

Matt

uno Communications