General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 17-Mar-18 11:30:15
Print Post

Re: FTTC only Market 1 Best ISP

[re: Dodgexander] [link to this post]

I gather you are simply looking for the cheapest you can get.

There is generally a reason for being the cheapest wink. Though it's possible Vodafone are throwing money away to buy market share.

From congestion complaints I see on these forums I personally wouldn't touch them. Assuming Lewes is the fibre headend exchange, (suggested by MrSaffron), Vodafone do not have an LLU presence there if samknows is up to date. That could mean they are using BT Wholesale backhaul, and it seems to be on such exchanges the Voda-congestion mainly arises. BTW backhaul is vastly more expensive than LLU backhaul.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 76102/14089Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Dodgexander
(learned) Sat 17-Mar-18 15:32:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I gather you are simply looking for the cheapest you can get.

There is generally a reason for being the cheapest wink. Though it's possible Vodafone are throwing money away to buy market share.

From congestion complaints I see on these forums I personally wouldn't touch them. Assuming Lewes is the fibre headend exchange, (suggested by MrSaffron), Vodafone do not have an LLU presence there if samknows is up to date. That could mean they are using BT Wholesale backhaul, and it seems to be on such exchanges the Voda-congestion mainly arises. BTW backhaul is vastly more expensive than LLU backhaul.

Thanks, so this is one reason to go with one of the smaller companies then.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 17-Mar-18 15:56:31
Print Post

Whether or not you get a good service from Vodafone appears to be a matter of luck.
I get a good FTTC service and there is no Vodafone LLU at the exchange I am told my FTTC cabinet is connected to, though that may be a separate issue from how the backhaul is handled.

I don't use the Vodafone router.

I think the Vodafone T&C allow you to leave in the first month without penalty but I would check before joining. That way you can quit if the backhaul proves to be congested.

If you want to reduce the cost of phone calls use VOIP.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(learned) Sun 18-Mar-18 21:33:01
Print Post

Here's my recent broadband quality meter btw, although its connected to an access point behind my router.

Edited by Dodgexander (Sun 18-Mar-18 22:35:51)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 18-Mar-18 22:28:57
Print Post

Re: FTTC only Market 1 Best ISP *DELETED*

Post deleted by RobertoS - The poster's link was corrupt, now fixed.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 18-Mar-18 23:05:28)

(learned) Sun 18-Mar-18 22:36:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The page "/broadband/monitoring/quality/53bb0b08b777d26f4128879ebf6d62d94c279b1c.png" you were looking for was not found.
Did you pick up the sharing link, or is this the URL of the page you were on, which can't work as it was you logged in.

Sorry, made a mistake in the link. Fixed it now!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 18-Mar-18 23:12:45
Print Post

That's better, though still not the best presentation smile. Click either BQM in my sig. They use the "Direct link" given if you click "Share live graph".

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 76102/14089Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 19-Mar-18 00:03:48
Print Post

My Vodafone BQM.

Michael Chare
(learned) Mon 19-Mar-18 05:35:52
Print Post

Live Plusnet 80/20 connection

Still undecided, discussed it with the Mrs and she's just in favour of saving money but everything inside is just telling me Vodafone isn't going to be a better service.

I know you can try a month but I know how it goes with these things, I'm sure it will be fine at first only later to get worse.

I also think if you go for one of the big companies you may as well go BT or Plusnet to get BT TV included.

If it were up to me I'd have already signed up to one of the small companies but hey, money is money.
(learned) Mon 19-Mar-18 05:38:02
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
My Vodafone BQM.

Thanks for that, looks better than mine. Two questions though, how did it compare to your previous service and does the Vodafone modem support the ICMP wan ping needed for the BQM?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to