General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 19-Mar-18 10:23:06
Print Post

Re: FTTC only Market 1 Best ISP

[re: Dodgexander] [link to this post]

I use a Zyxel VMG8924-B10A router bought 2nd hand on ebay, instead of the Vodafone one. It is the first FTTC service I have had.

Michael Chare
Standard User Dodgexander
(learned) Tue 20-Mar-18 01:11:43
Print Post

Usual plusnet antics again tonight, suddenly a bunch of packet loss and 1mbps download speeds whilst retaining 20mbps upload speeds. High pings too..

Strange how this happens and then a reboot of the hub gets it working again temporarily. Maybe the hub is at fault.

Snapshot

Btw Michael I also noticed some outage to you also on your BQM, this isn't normal right?

Speedtest.net result

thinkbroadband speed test

Edited by Dodgexander (Tue 20-Mar-18 01:15:02)

(learned) Tue 20-Mar-18 01:20:00
Print Post

aaaannd after a reboot all fine and dandy again

For now!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Mar-18 09:52:21
Print Post

The outage was caused by me switching off the power to the house after I posted the BQM snapshot!

Michael Chare
(learned) Mon 26-Mar-18 21:46:27
Print Post

As an update I opted to go for the recent special deal with BT. Works out cheaper than many of the bespoke providers even when you factor in I went for the Max TV package and a mobile sim.

Service will probably be the same or worse but I can't justify spending the extra cash. I wish there was a more reasonably priced internet only provider but you pay for what you get I guess.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

nb I was very close to signing up to Vodafone but a very unpleasant online chat put me off. Their sales team like to guarantee you will get a minimum speed. Several attempts to weed it out of them and they eventually said it was just the line speed shown by the router and went on to talk about how wifi can affect the other speeds. They didn't understand the difference between throughput and line speed. What a joke. The're service will drop during prime hours just the same as all the big providers.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to