General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User LowPingKN
(newbie) Sun 29-Apr-18 22:14:38
Print Post

BT Ultrafast / AAisp / IDnet Gaming?

[link to this post]

Hey guys, currently on Plusnets 80/20 package but have been noticing lag at peak times whilst gaming (wanted to switch to a better ISP for a while).

I have Ultrafast available in my area (up to 152 the BT website states)

My first question is this - does g.fast technology reduce latency at all (currently acheiving 30/40 to xbox live at peak times).

Second question is - what is the difference between IDnets gaming package and a package from a good ISP like AAisp (anyone with experience of both may be able to answer)

Thanks!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Apr-18 11:50:28
Print Post

Re: BT Ultrafast / AAisp / IDnet Gaming?

[re: LowPingKN] [link to this post]

May be lower for the local loop part, but if you are seeing 30/40ms now suspect bulk of that is the network beyond the street cabinet which will remain identical.

Needs trace routes and idea of where you are in UK e.g. in Glasgow a VDSL2 ping to a London based service is pretty good.

Also pings shown during games can be different to ICMP/ping/traceroute values

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tthom
(committed) Mon 30-Apr-18 16:55:56
Print Post

I'm with BT and the norm when playing the likes of rocket league (only game I know that shows ping) averages around the 30ms mark

Broadband Providers Aoll/O2/Virgin Media(Cable)/BE/BT infinity/Talktalk/BT Infinity 60/11 Sync
[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3798886040.png[/img]

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ixel
(committed) Mon 30-Apr-18 20:21:24
Print Post

I don't imagine g.fast will reduce latency, unless your line is getting put on traditional interleaving (which g.fast doesn't use).

Can't comment really on the other question, except that with AAISP I've experienced the best quality of support I've ever seen in all the ISP's I've used. They'll usually go the extra mile to make sure things are right and they know their stuff.

If it helps, I'm with AAISP via TalkTalk Business backhaul (new network) and latency to AAISP's LNS's across two lines (FTTC) is 5.0ms and 5.3ms respectively.

Ping from the Firebrick 2900:
Text
Ping
No      Time(ms)        IP Address      Note    Name1       5.965   1.0.0.1 Reply           
2       5.642   1.0.0.1 Reply   1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com        3       6.000   1.0.0.1 Reply   1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com        
4       5.892   1.0.0.1 Reply   1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com        5       5.796   1.0.0.1 Reply   1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com        
6       6.140   1.0.0.1 Reply   1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com        7       5.820   1.0.0.1 Reply   1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com        
8       5.942   1.0.0.1 Reply   1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com        9       6.508   1.0.0.1 Reply   1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com        
10      6.184   1.0.0.1 Reply   1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com        Sent 10 Received 10 Loss 0.00%
 Min 5.642 Ave 5.988 Max 6.508

Traceroute from the Firebrick 2900:
Text
Traceroute
No      Time(ms)        IP Address      Note    Name1       5.704   81.187.81.187   Progress        bottomless.aa.net.uk    
2       5.680   90.155.53.101   Progress        k.aimless.thn.aa.net.uk 3       6.248   195.66.225.179  Progress        linx-lon1.as13335.net   
4       5.950   1.0.0.1 Reply   1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com

Located in Eastbourne. It's the lowest ping I've ever had in comparison to being with Zen Internet (both on their own backhaul and BTw) and BT Business, which are typically up to around 3ms higher.
Standard User jdigz7
(member) Tue 01-May-18 00:38:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by LowPingKN:
Hey guys, currently on Plusnets 80/20 package but have been noticing lag at peak times whilst gaming (wanted to switch to a better ISP for a while).

My first question is this - does g.fast technology reduce latency at all (currently acheiving 30/40 to xbox live at peak times).

Second question is - what is the difference between IDnets gaming package and a package from a good ISP like AAisp (anyone with experience of both may be able to answer)

Thanks!

Would recommend AAISP or UNO for low latency and peak time performance.

uno also offer g.fast service also so might wan to contact them.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 01-May-18 00:51:01
Print Post

[re: jdigz7] [link to this post]

For years, on ADSLx, and in the last few years FTTC with IDNet, Plusnet and now AAISP, my baseline latency on BQM and pinging/tracert to the BBC addresses was around 12ms.

Some time last year AAISP "upgraded?" their network, and it went up in a single jump. It is now around 21ms. (See the BQMs in my sig). My static IP address, unchanged, is now triggering those adverts that paste in your location as my being in Arnold! Instead of the correct Stockport they used to detect.

Clearly a routing change with the network upgrade, but no apparent advantage to me.

In case anyone raises technical questions, at some stage pre-AAISP I did have interleaving applied, adding 8ms as usual. When G.INP was activated that 8ms disappeared, as we expect. Iím on a BT Wholesale connection, not TalkTalk Business.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70512/13708Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 01-May-18 08:01:08)

Standard User jdigz7
(member) Tue 01-May-18 02:16:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
For years, on ADSLx, and in the last few years FTTC with IDNet, Plusnet and now AAISP, my baseline latency on BQM and pinging/tracert to the BBC addresses was around 12ms.

Some time last year AAISP "upgraded?" their network, and it went up in a single jump. It is now around 21ms. (See the BQMs in my sig). My static IP address, unchanged, is now triggering those adverts that paste in your location as my being in Arnold! Instead of the correct Stockport they used to detect.

Clearly a routing change with the network upgrade, but no apparent advantage to me.

In case anyone raises technical questions, at some stage pre-AAISP I did have interleaving applied, adding 8ms as usual. When G.INP was activated that 8ms disappeared, as we expect.

For myself I'm on the TTB tail with AAISP and uno. so it's 16ms from central scotland.

any bt peered i was with was around the same although in peak hours there was packet loss low speeds and latency all over the place. (Local loop congestion on bt wholesale)

Now that monthly contract's are a thing the OP can try AAISP UNO or others to see which one is best for his situation.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 01-May-18 08:02:42
Print Post

[re: jdigz7] [link to this post]

See my edit - on a BT Wholesale connection.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70512/13708Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User jdigz7
(member) Tue 01-May-18 08:23:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I had read that elsewhere bob was just stating what I was on talk talk business backhaul with both my providers.

Plusnet were lower ping than both(14ms ) but in evenings it was intense packet loss and jitter and speed.

This area generally doesn't fair well for BT Wholesale providers. No idea what sky is like as never been a customer.

When my contracts up with uno i'll have a look at a monthly contract on the BT Backhaul see if they have fixed their issues.
Standard User jdigz7
(member) Tue 01-May-18 09:55:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by LowPingKN:

Thanks!

Oh and to just answer the gaming package question it is just added traffic priority for download speeds doesn't improve ping or change any routes to servers.
  Print Thread

Jump to