General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jerrytaff1
(newbie) Sun 05-Aug-18 02:36:55
Print Post

Newly Connected to NOWTV

[link to this post]

So, I finally decided to upgrade to fibre from broadband. After looking around I decided on a 12 month contract with NOWTV. So far so good; the switch from EE went completely smoothly with NOWTV doing all the work and the switch over happened early on the allocated date. The connection appears to be rock solid at 37 Mb/s down and 8.5Mb/sec up. The clone of the SkyQ hub seems to work fine too- I've separated the 5GHz and the 2.4GHz wifi channel, and I've reconfigured it to look like my old Brightbox 2 to my home network and to my mobile devices on the 2.4GHz band. So far it hasn't dropped the connection the way my EE connection did (for a couple of seconds every so often - which is annoying when gaming), and I'm happy, but a bit surprised that everything went so smoothly.

I chose NOWTV more for price than anything - £25/month for the fibre + line rental + free anytime calls including to mobiles. I was worried, however, that i couldn't find a great deal of info concerning users experiences with them so I didn't know what to expect. Is it simply that everyone is quick to post when they have bad experiences, but less likely to post when everything goes well? Or have I just been lucky so far?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 05-Aug-18 09:02:10
Print Post

Re: Newly Connected to NOWTV

[re: jerrytaff1] [link to this post]

Welcome to the forums smile.

I donít know a lot about NowTV, except I buy a day sports pass for F1 races that arenít on Ch 4, but Iím posting to suggest you remove the two entries of your email address from your profile. They could be picked up by spammers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 65717/12459Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Aug-18 15:32:39
Print Post

I had the internet and a TV pass - the pass was fine - the internet was so bad I couldn't watch the pass - so I had them both refunded and the FTTC cut off

Probably their network in my area.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jerrytaff1
(newbie) Sun 05-Aug-18 21:30:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the tip about the email address. I've changed my profile now.
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Aug-18 12:02:39
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Don't they run from skys equipment?

wow you've had 10+ isps in 2 years

you must be really having a lot of issues.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Aug-18 17:26:40
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:

Yes and it's rubbish around here.

10+? where did you get that silly amount from?
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Aug-18 08:52:36
Print Post

Most of the time things do go smoothly, it is only now and again that it mucks up on installation.
The problem comes when/if there is a problem and how long they take to sort it out.

I was looking now Tv for fibre, but as far as i can see they do not allow people to use a different router.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered and back to windows 8.1, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Aug-18 09:00:29
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:

How is it possible to have that many providers in 2 years, since most contracts are 2 years these days?
Dial up days it would be possible, in fact in dial up days I use a few different ones, until Freeserve came on the scene.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered and back to windows 8.1, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Davey_H
(regular) Sun 26-Aug-18 19:57:18
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I was looking now Tv for fibre, but as far as i can see they do not allow people to use a different router.

They don't allow it on a Fibre connection (just like Sky, unsurprisingly) but it's perfectly possible to use third party routers as long as they support Sky's peculiar use of DHCP option 61/MER.

Plenty of lists on routers that support it, plus guides on user/password extraction and setup available on the web

Edited by Davey_H (Sun 26-Aug-18 20:00:51)

Standard User jabuzzard
(regular) Mon 27-Aug-18 10:20:53
Print Post

[re: Davey_H] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Davey_H:
In reply to a post by zyborg47:

They don't allow it on a Fibre connection (just like Sky, unsurprisingly) but it's perfectly possible to use third party routers as long as they support Sky's peculiar use of DHCP option 61/MER.

Plenty of lists on routers that support it, plus guides on user/password extraction and setup available on the web

I would point out that insisting that you use their equipment is ILLEGAL while we are still in the E.U. No if's no buts, the network neutrality directive makes is absolutely clear that end users must be able to use their own equipment and not be locked in to vendor provided equipment. Specifically article 3(1) of EU Regulation 2015/2120 says

End-users shall have the right to access and distribute information and content, use and provide applications and services, and use terminal equipment of their choice, irrespective of the end-userís or providerís location or the location, origin or destination of the information, content, application or service, via their internet access service.

I kind of understand why ISP's might want to go down that route. However the law is the law, and they don't get to be exempted just because it suits them
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to