General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jerrytaff1
(newbie) Sun 05-Aug-18 02:36:55
Print Post

Newly Connected to NOWTV

[link to this post]

So, I finally decided to upgrade to fibre from broadband. After looking around I decided on a 12 month contract with NOWTV. So far so good; the switch from EE went completely smoothly with NOWTV doing all the work and the switch over happened early on the allocated date. The connection appears to be rock solid at 37 Mb/s down and 8.5Mb/sec up. The clone of the SkyQ hub seems to work fine too- I've separated the 5GHz and the 2.4GHz wifi channel, and I've reconfigured it to look like my old Brightbox 2 to my home network and to my mobile devices on the 2.4GHz band. So far it hasn't dropped the connection the way my EE connection did (for a couple of seconds every so often - which is annoying when gaming), and I'm happy, but a bit surprised that everything went so smoothly.

I chose NOWTV more for price than anything - £25/month for the fibre + line rental + free anytime calls including to mobiles. I was worried, however, that i couldn't find a great deal of info concerning users experiences with them so I didn't know what to expect. Is it simply that everyone is quick to post when they have bad experiences, but less likely to post when everything goes well? Or have I just been lucky so far?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 05-Aug-18 09:02:10
Print Post

Re: Newly Connected to NOWTV

[re: jerrytaff1] [link to this post]

Welcome to the forums smile.

I donít know a lot about NowTV, except I buy a day sports pass for F1 races that arenít on Ch 4, but Iím posting to suggest you remove the two entries of your email address from your profile. They could be picked up by spammers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 65717/12459Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Aug-18 15:32:39
Print Post

I had the internet and a TV pass - the pass was fine - the internet was so bad I couldn't watch the pass - so I had them both refunded and the FTTC cut off

Probably their network in my area.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jerrytaff1
(newbie) Sun 05-Aug-18 21:30:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the tip about the email address. I've changed my profile now.
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Aug-18 12:02:39
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Don't they run from skys equipment?

wow you've had 10+ isps in 2 years

you must be really having a lot of issues.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Aug-18 17:26:40
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:

Yes and it's rubbish around here.

10+? where did you get that silly amount from?
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Aug-18 08:52:36
Print Post

Most of the time things do go smoothly, it is only now and again that it mucks up on installation.
The problem comes when/if there is a problem and how long they take to sort it out.

I was looking now Tv for fibre, but as far as i can see they do not allow people to use a different router.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered and back to windows 8.1, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Aug-18 09:00:29
Print Post

How is it possible to have that many providers in 2 years, since most contracts are 2 years these days?
Dial up days it would be possible, in fact in dial up days I use a few different ones, until Freeserve came on the scene.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Davey_H
(regular) Sun 26-Aug-18 19:57:18
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I was looking now Tv for fibre, but as far as i can see they do not allow people to use a different router.

They don't allow it on a Fibre connection (just like Sky, unsurprisingly) but it's perfectly possible to use third party routers as long as they support Sky's peculiar use of DHCP option 61/MER.

Plenty of lists on routers that support it, plus guides on user/password extraction and setup available on the web

Edited by Davey_H (Sun 26-Aug-18 20:00:51)

Standard User jabuzzard
(regular) Mon 27-Aug-18 10:20:53
Print Post

[re: Davey_H] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Davey_H:

They don't allow it on a Fibre connection (just like Sky, unsurprisingly) but it's perfectly possible to use third party routers as long as they support Sky's peculiar use of DHCP option 61/MER.

Plenty of lists on routers that support it, plus guides on user/password extraction and setup available on the web

I would point out that insisting that you use their equipment is ILLEGAL while we are still in the E.U. No if's no buts, the network neutrality directive makes is absolutely clear that end users must be able to use their own equipment and not be locked in to vendor provided equipment. Specifically article 3(1) of EU Regulation 2015/2120 says

End-users shall have the right to access and distribute information and content, use and provide applications and services, and use terminal equipment of their choice, irrespective of the end-userís or providerís location or the location, origin or destination of the information, content, application or service, via their internet access service.

I kind of understand why ISP's might want to go down that route. However the law is the law, and they don't get to be exempted just because it suits them
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 27-Aug-18 11:03:00
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

When you are using the service, the word "terminal" normally refers to the piece of kit you are looking at and typing into. As in computer, tablet, phone, console or dumb terminal.

Is it defined in the Regulation? I would expect it to be. The Sky/Now modem/router could well be an integral part of "their access service" in this regard.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70745/12295Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User jabuzzard
(regular) Mon 27-Aug-18 16:47:07
Print Post

Terminal equipment is well understood piece of terminology in the industry and includes things like VDSL modems, routers etc. The law is crystal clear and Sky are flouting it. Complain to Ofcom who are aware of the situation as documented in their last report on compliance with the directive. I am with PlusNet so have no standing to make a complaint.

Note that BT's SIN498 is also flat out illegal as well. Approval of terminal equipment in telecommunication networks is controlled at an E.U. level. Not much of a single market if you have to get your VDSL device approved in 28 different countries is it. It's why you don't see those green BABT stickers anymore.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 27-Aug-18 17:34:06
Print Post

I don't think the Openreach network operates outside the UK tongue smile.

I don't accept your redefinition of "terminal" as being in common usage for modem/routers. I'm be pretty certain it isn't a usage that carries legal weight.

With regard to SIN 498, Openreach only define the requirements of CPs' filters and modems to be attached to the network.
The CP provided modem and filtering devices must meet the requirements of this specification in order to provide reliable operation and to avoid harm to other VDSL2 lines sharing the same cable binder. Openreach reserves the right to withhold or limit service where potential violation of the Access Network Frequency Plan (ANFP)[9] or impact to another customersí service is detected.
They do provide conformance testing and advice for CPs, but nowhere in SIN 498 am I aware of any current ban. Nor of any requirement for certification by Openreach.

With the initial introduction of ADSL and subsequently FTTC there were periods when only Openreach or its contractors could connect anything to the network. There is no EU law against that. it is perfectly normal for a company providing infrastructure services to specify what its customers may attach to that service. When Openreach removed that requirement, they obviously needed to specify the requirements of their service.

As for BABT, you seem to be unaware of the following:

- BABT is wholly owned by T‹V S‹D Product Service, Germany's leading testing and certification body;
- BABT is a Notified Body for the following European Directives: 98/13/EC TTE & SESE Directive (now superseded by the R&TTE Directive); 89/336/EEC EMC Directive; 73/23/EEC Low Voltage Directive; 1999/5/EC R&TTE Directive. BABT is a Competent Body for the following Directives: 89/336/EEC EMC Directive.

I suggest the absence of such green labels, if you are correct, is nothing to do with SIN 498, or Openreach at all.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70745/12295Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User jabuzzard
(regular) Tue 28-Aug-18 11:45:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I don't accept your redefinition of "terminal" as being in common usage for modem/routers. I'm be pretty certain it isn't a usage that carries legal weight.

Well you would be wrong, it is actually the standard terminology used in the industry and is a usage that absolutely carries legal weight. Basically terminal equipment in telecommunications means anything you connect to the end of the line. Just because it is not the terminology used by consumers is completely irrelevant. May I politely suggest that you go read up on the subject.

Further I will note again that the practice of tying users to ISP provided hardware was flagged by Ofcom as an issue in their last report on compliance with implementation of the directive. Why would they do that if the directive did not prohibit it?

With regard to SIN 498, Openreach only define the requirements of CPs' filters and modems to be attached to the network.
The CP provided modem and filtering devices must meet the requirements of this specification in order to provide reliable operation and to avoid harm to other VDSL2 lines sharing the same cable binder. Openreach reserves the right to withhold or limit service where potential violation of the Access Network Frequency Plan (ANFP)[9] or impact to another customersí service is detected.
They do provide conformance testing and advice for CPs, but nowhere in SIN498 am I aware of any current ban. Nor of any requirement for certification by Openreach.

Like I said the threat to deny service to a device that has been approved by a relevant body as being compliant with relevant E.U. directives is illegal. One of the primary goals of the E.U. is the creating of a single market in goods. As such approval for telecommunication equipment is now done at an E.U. wide level. BT/Openreach are therefore legally bared from restricting the use of an approved device on their network. Further BT/Openreach are not even an approved body for approving devices in the first place.

With the initial introduction of ADSL and subsequently FTTC there were periods when only Openreach or its contractors could connect anything to the network. There is no EU law against that. it is perfectly normal for a company providing infrastructure services to specify what its customers may attach to that service. When Openreach removed that requirement, they obviously needed to specify the requirements of their service.

Sorry but there are E.U. laws against it.

As for BABT, you seem to be unaware of the following:

- BABT is wholly owned by T‹V S‹D Product Service, Germany's leading testing and certification body;
- BABT is a Notified Body for the following European Directives: 98/13/EC TTE & SESE Directive (now superseded by the R&TTE Directive); 89/336/EEC EMC Directive; 73/23/EEC Low Voltage Directive; 1999/5/EC R&TTE Directive. BABT is a Competent Body for the following Directives: 89/336/EEC EMC Directive.

I suggest the absence of such green labels, if you are correct, is nothing to do with SIN 498, or Openreach at all.

Yes I am perfectly aware of that and it proves my point thank you very much. That is approval of devices is done at an E.U. wide level, and once a device is approved it can be used legally in any E.U. member state. Further any attempts to restrict the use of an approved device is illegal. As such SIN498 is an attempt by BT to restrict terminal equipment approved for use in the E.U.

So like I said you don't see those green BABT stickers because there is no BT standard to approve against, only E.U. ones, and it is relevant to the issue of the illegal SIN498 standard, because BT are not legally allowed to enforce compliance with such standards as the only standards allowed are E.U. ones.

It's not much of a single market is it, if as a terminal equipment manufacturer you have to get your devices approved individually in all 28 countries of the E.U. is it now.

I am not quite sure why these two concept are so hard to understand frankly. Now what happens come 21st March next year god only knows, but right now the law is VERY VERY clear. No tying of the service to ISP provided hardware, and no extra restrictions on approval of hardware that can be connected to the telecommunications network above those mandated by the E.U. There are legally NO if's and NO buts. BT/Openreach with SIN498 and ISP's insisting on their equipment being used are flouting the law and it's time Ofcom came down on them like a tonne of bricks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Aug-18 12:52:39
Print Post

So Openreach has no recourse if someone is using a VDSL2 modem that does not support vectoring i.e. one user can cause them to have to switch off vectoring for everyone else who has 'compliant' hardware?

How do the FTTP providers across Europe cope with this, i.e. freedom of user choice for fibre ONT

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Aug-18 13:33:01
Print Post

Have a read of https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/04/uk-bro...

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 28-Aug-18 14:59:12
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Thanks jelv. That's quite a good article as usual from that source. Clearly things are not quite as clear cut as jabuzzard makes out.

I've only followed a couple of the more pertinent looking links so far, but it looks like the only relevant part re the Sky modem/routers is the username and password one.

As for Openreach and SIN 498, the poster here (particularly in the latest diatribe) seems unable to distinguish between specifying the technical requirements of kit to be attached and the approval of specific branded or even unbranded kit. SIN 498 does not demand approved kit. Only that anything that does not adhere to SIN 498 and in use is shown to adversely affect the service for other users is likely to cause the service to that device to be halted.

There seems to be no mention of the regulation specifying the technical characteristics that the Openreach service must use to provide what is clearly a net-neutral connection.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Aug-18 17:45:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
How do the FTTP providers across Europe cope with this, i.e. freedom of user choice for fibre ONT
Maybe, in the case of FTTP, the interface to the public telecommunications network is the ethernet port of the ONT?

Michael Chare
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Aug-18 18:09:30
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

If that is allowed for FTTP then the same can be done for xDSL services

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 28-Aug-18 18:42:23
Print Post

If that is allowed for FTTP then the same can be done for xDSL services
LOL

But it really is illegal to force users to only connect through ethernet tongue ROFL smile

My laptop hasn't got ethernet.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 28-Aug-18 18:42:53)

Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Aug-18 18:52:55
Print Post

"Well you would be wrong, it is actually the standard terminology used in the industry"

>be me
>earned my HND in computer networking around 6 years ago followed by a BSc in computer networking
>work in the industry since then
>almost never heard anyone use this term

am i missing something here ???

Edited by epyon (Tue 28-Aug-18 18:53:38)

Standard User jabuzzard
(regular) Tue 28-Aug-18 19:03:15
Print Post

Thanks jelv. That's quite a good article as usual from that source. Clearly things are not quite as clear cut as jabuzzard makes out.

Oh they are as clear cut as I make out. That everyone is not in compliance with the directive yet does not make what ISP's are doing any less illegal. The difficulty in enforcing your rights is that we are about to leave the E.U. which makes matters more complicated, and secondly it would likely take years and cost many many thousands of pounds to get a ruling. As such ISP's can play fast and loose with the law and until Ofcom grows some balls will get away with it because unless you have an consumer who has just won the jackpot on the lottery no consumer is ever going to enforce their rights under the law.

Honestly the law does not work the way most people think. You soon learn that when you have siblings as lawyers and judges.

As for Openreach and SIN 498, the poster here (particularly in the latest diatribe) seems unable to distinguish between specifying the technical requirements of kit to be attached and the approval of specific branded or even unbranded kit. SIN 498 does not demand approved kit. Only that anything that does not adhere to SIN 498 and in use is shown to adversely affect the service for other users is likely to cause the service to that device to be halted.

Threatening to disconnect terminal equipment that has met E.U. wide approval of the relevant ITU standards because it has not been approved by some arbitary BT/Openreach standard is the issue. Nothing wrong with putting up a specification to say conform to this and we guarantee it will work well on our system. However BT SIN498 goes further than that and steps over the line into illegality.

Take for example a DrayTek VigorNIC 132. I was going to buy one of these (still might). It meets all the relevant ITU standards and has E.U. approval. However DrayTek have choosen not to submit and pay through the nose to have it "approved" under BT SIN498, and therefore I have chosen not to purchase one because of the fear of having one's internet connection randomly disconnected because someone at BT/Openreach decides it's not on the approved list. Draytek have lost a sale, innovation in the market has been stifled etc. etc. These are the sort of things that the E.U. really does not like and goes against it's core fundamental principles. So it's not remotely surprising that it's illegal. Note the purpose of the Net Neutrality directive is really to spell out things that are already illegal under core E.U. principles, so that it is easier to bring those flouting them to heal.
Standard User jabuzzard
(regular) Tue 28-Aug-18 19:09:26
Print Post

"Well you would be wrong, it is actually the standard terminology used in the industry"

>be me
>earned my HND in computer networking around 6 years ago followed by a BSc in computer networking
>work in the industry since then
>almost never heard anyone use this term

am i missing something here ???

Yes go read an ITU standard, which is what is relevant in this context. You will find things like modems, phones etc. are all referred to as "terminal equipment" in the ITU standards, and the ITU predates the invention of the computer by many decades.
Standard User jabuzzard
(regular) Tue 28-Aug-18 19:27:31
Print Post

By either flouting the law or letting users pick their own ONT. Here for example is someone posting last week about getting a Huawei SFP based ONT working on a Dutch GPON network in an EdgeRouter 4. Exactly the sort of thing the directive is intended to facilitate.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeRouter/Edgerouter-..."]

Of course if an ISP provided SFP ONT's on request the chances are nobody is going to try and enforce their rights because really who cares if the ONT is made by vendor X over vendor Y. All they care about is not having extra unnecessary boxes and using the router of their choice.

My prediction is that in due course this is exactly what will happen. The ISP provides an SFP based ONT and you stick it in whatever device takes your fancy.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 28-Aug-18 22:54:24
Print Post

Network terminating equipment is not a terminal. A terminal is a piece of equipment with which a person has some direct interaction. This could include a card reader such as you use in shops, or a touch-screen in an estate agent's window, Oyster card and bus pass readers. It does not include networking equipment such as modems and routers.

I think it may be your conflating the word "terminal" and the phrase "network termination/terminal equipment" that is the problem. They are not the same thing. I suggest before you argue against that you go and find the specific paragraphs in the EU regulations you refer to and come back with the full detailed reference path.

Oxford English Dictionary terminal.
Section "Adjective" where a following noun is required exactly as you say. Several examples of usage of that kind.
Section "Noun", definition 3. Definition exactly as I gave you previously and above in this post.

In respect of the Openreach network they normally define their network termination equipment as exactly that. That's why the modern master socket is called an NTE.

For short periods after the introduction of ADSL and later FTTC, as I've already said, they did define their network termination point as the modem they supplied. This being completely so as to guarantee that until the system was well established in real world use and any problems sorted out that no problems on the network itself were created by equipment they had not exhaustively tested. There was nothing illegal about that, and certainly nothing to do with internet neutrality.

You can now connect any modem or modem/router you wish. But if it wrecks the network you will get disconnected. No EU regulation forbids a network infrastructure provider or a Communications provider from stopping a non-compliant user having access.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Aug-18 17:27:57
Print Post

Agreed with this "telecommunications terminal equipment" is not a terminal. Similar language, different overall. Easy thing to confuse given the way ISPs often just state "terminal" when discussing (well my clients do anyways).
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Aug-18 09:41:56
Print Post

[re: Davey_H] [link to this post]

I do not think my router supports it, typical for Sky to go with something different to other providers. so I doubt very much I would change to them, from what I have heard their router is rubbish.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Aug-18 16:57:34
Print Post

Can I take my corded BT phone and plug it in to any European telecomms system?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Wed 28-Nov-18 13:39:56
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I do not think my router supports it, typical for Sky to go with something different to other providers. so I doubt very much I would change to them, from what I have heard their router is rubbish.

I can agree wholeheartedly it's fairly awful. As is their instance on sending out an "external" engineer to fix a fault he couldn't find.... twice!

CJT.

On NOW TV Broadband up to 38 Mbps
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-Nov-18 14:59:27
Print Post

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

Black cake with green icing on it - that's what I had for NowTV router - need to throw it away that's reminded me
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Tue 18-Dec-18 15:14:49
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

If that's what you wan't to call it..

I need to recycle mine.. annoyingly unlike SKY they don't have a simple returns process at Now TV.

CJT.

On BT Broadband up to 55 Mbps

Previously on NOW TV Broadband up to 38 Mbps
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to