General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 02-Sep-18 12:19:02
Print Post

Re: Changing ISP

[re: gymno74] [link to this post]

Thanks to both for myself, and no doubt useful to the OP as well smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70745/12295Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 02-Sep-18 12:19:27)

Standard User Nightglow
(member) Sun 02-Sep-18 17:18:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That is very useful info to me & many others,thanks.
Is there any particular modem you recommend for Sky.

Edited by Nightglow (Sun 02-Sep-18 17:19:15)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 02-Sep-18 17:33:04
Print Post

[re: Nightglow] [link to this post]

It's the router component that matters for MER support, and sorry I don't know the good ones for Sky. I was just letting you know it was something to consider in the choice between Sky and uno.

Modem component choice is (usually) to do with what make of FTTC cabinet you're connected to.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70745/12295Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gymno74
(newbie) Sun 02-Sep-18 19:51:37
Print Post

There is a list of routers recently posted on another website.
I'm not sure of forum rules yet so will send you a pm with the url (& for fun) the sky forum thread it came from.
Just ignore everything about extractng un / pw using wireshark & the mac cloning nonsense.
I suspect the list isn't comprehensive.

As for eci / huawei cabinet & the best modem chipset to match, again i can only point to somewhere it's been regularly discussed.
So 3 url's in the pm.

Pm's sent to RobertoS too.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 02-Sep-18 20:20:02
Print Post

There's no rule against posting that sort of link smile. About the only link (other than to censorable sites) you can't post is one that has a "Referral reference" in it so that you stand to benefit smile.

Standard User gymno74
(newbie) Sun 02-Sep-18 20:47:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

OK thanks RobertoS.
On ALL points made, public & private. smile

Edited by gymno74 (Sun 02-Sep-18 21:48:20)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Sep-18 08:47:37
Print Post

Also worth considering TalkTalk @ £25 pm for their 80/20 FTTC package:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8159-new-talktal...

Their phone support isn't the best but that's not surprising considering the prices they charge. Probably not for you if you need someone to hold your hand whilst troubleshooting issues otherwise their forum support is pretty good.

Despite their faults, they operate a rock solid network...they let you leave within the first 30 days free of charge if you're not happy with your service. I don't think i got any slowdowns at all when I was with them from 2010 to 2017. Oh and you're free to use any router you like on their connection smile

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 03-Sep-18 08:49:09)

Standard User Nightglow
(member) Mon 03-Sep-18 09:01:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by gymno74:
There is a list of routers recently posted on another website.
I'm not sure of forum rules yet so will send you a pm with the url (& for fun) the sky forum thread it came from.
Just ignore everything about extractng un / pw using wireshark & the mac cloning nonsense.
I suspect the list isn't comprehensive.

As for eci / huawei cabinet & the best modem chipset to match, again i can only point to somewhere it's been regularly discussed.
So 3 url's in the pm.

Pm's sent to RobertoS too.

Thanks

Edited by Nightglow (Mon 03-Sep-18 09:02:17)

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Mon 03-Sep-18 13:29:51
Print Post

Do bear in mind that once you leave BT, that's your email address gone as well [assuming you are NOT using your own Domain]. Whether you can pay BT to retain the email facility is unknown.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Sep-18 14:35:38
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

You can pay BT to retain email - I was offered the option when I left (I don't use BT mail and so it didn't make any difference to me). It isn't cheap though at £7.50 per month so there are many other much more competitive options out there.

Edited by ian72 (Mon 03-Sep-18 15:26:20)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to