General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dohmniq
(learned) Tue 04-Sep-18 09:42:37
Print Post

FTTC ISPs that provide IPv6?

[link to this post]

Our nearby fibre cabinet should go live soon so I'm looking into potential ISPs.
My contract work involves a lot of network programming so I could really benefit from having a native IPv6 address/subnet.

The first place I looked was (of course) https://www.thinkbroadband.com/packages and selected the "Supports IPv6" filter.

But I'm shocked that the only 'mainstream' ISP I recognise is AAISP. Are none of the other major ISPs really not providing IPv6?

I was leaning towards the TalkTalk package as it's a) cheap and b) I reckon that after the data leak mass exodus there might be less contention on their network now. I can't say I'm surprised TalkTalk don't provide IPv6.

So looking at the AAISP Home::1 info it suggests AAISP use TalkTalk as their backhaul and yet somehow provide a /48 block.

Am I missing something? I really don't want to have to talk to TalkTalk if at all possible, let alone something probably as obscure to their customer services as IPv6!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Sep-18 10:15:41
Print Post

Re: FTTC ISPs that provide IPv6?

[re: dohmniq] [link to this post]

If you order from AAISP you will not be talking to TalkTalk

TalkTalk Wholesale services are a very different beast to the TalkTalk residential ones.

IDNet also do IPv6
BT do too, but on residential no static IP address block

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Sep-18 10:24:04
Print Post

AAISP use both TalkTalk Wholesale and BT. They'll only use TalkTalk Wholesale if your phone is also with them, if your line rental is with someone using BT your FTTC will stay with BT.

I'm on Home::1 over BT (line rental with Pulse8).

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 04-Sep-18 10:30:22
Print Post

Iím puzzled.

You imply this contract work is how you stay alive, yet you are looking in general for a cheap domestic user level mass market service with no SLA, and in particular state that you want to avoid TalkTalk customer services if at all possible on the grounds they wonít understand your question.

What happens with them or any other provider if you get a problem in day-to-day running and the CS at whichever ISP you choose (because they are cheap) are hopeless?

I suggest you should either look for a business grade service such as AAISP Soho::1 or similar, and/or also have a second (possibly consumer grades line for backup with a different ISP from your main one. A fallback line is always a good idea anyway if running a business,

If you donít need the multi-Terabyte allowances on AAISP the BT Wholesale backhaul is also available with them. Iím on their BTW 200GB.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71437/12435Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 04-Sep-18 10:37:32
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Iíd be surprised if the AA multi-Terabyte service runs on BTW jelv, whether or not your line is with them. The cost to them would surely be huge. (See jelv's reply).

Itís worth pointing out also that the AA line does not provide a PSTN service. Only VOIP at extra cost.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71437/12435Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 04-Sep-18 11:44:57)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Sep-18 11:37:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Extending terabyte quota options to BT back-haul lines. 3rd Jan

Edit: Also see https://aastatus.net/2484

jelv

AAISP November 2016

Edited by jelv (Tue 04-Sep-18 11:40:23)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 04-Sep-18 11:41:22
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Thanks jelv. That surprises me, but "there it is".

As is "We'll update with more changes expected early in 2018." wink smile

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Sep-18 11:47:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

What about Sky?

Michael Chare
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Sep-18 12:35:18
Print Post

SSE supports IPv6 -

ping -6 www.google.com

Pinging www.google.com [2a00:1450:4009:80e::2004] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 2a00:1450:4009:80e::2004: time=10ms
Reply from 2a00:1450:4009:80e::2004: time=18ms

Ping statistics for 2a00:1450:4009:80e::2004:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 10ms, Maximum = 18ms, Average = 12ms

One month rolling contract, UK support, £50 at Topcashback
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Sep-18 12:39:36
Print Post

I suspect having the agreement with TalkTalk gave them some bargaining power with BT.

jelv

AAISP November 2016
Standard User dohmniq
(learned) Tue 04-Sep-18 15:13:26
Print Post

Thanks for the replies everyone.

We currently don't even have a connected line. Last time an engineer was here he plugged a line length measuring tool into our socket and said it was only 60ish metres. I expect the old lady who lived here before simply didn't have a line for years. So I suppose I'm free to pick a new line from TT or BT or whomever.

I used to have an account with TT Business and the connectivity they provided was fine. In fact I can't remember a single fault over the 4+ years. But their customer service wasn't so hot, even with an account manager (maybe everyone gets one of those too).

We currently have internet via 4G from EE. It can be patchy. Speeds vary a lot, jitter is terrible, the "4GEE mini" needs rebooting often as it increasingly borks TCP connections the longer it's up. It's connected via USB to another router so we don't have to use any more of its features than necessary! It would be 'OK' as a backup line if we install FTTC, RobertoS. You make a good point about the work vs consumer aspects.

AA are increasingly looking like the better option now though. I can't see myself using more than 200GB each month and use my mobiles for calls so that's fine.Reading AA's broadband incident blog makes for a grim view of TT.
Standard User clyde123
(regular) Wed 05-Sep-18 17:02:38
Print Post

Entanet offer IPv6 .
You might have to request that it's enabled, once you're connected. But their techie people will enable it no problem.
Standard User Jax2
(member) Wed 05-Sep-18 17:30:00
Print Post

Zen do IPv6 though again you may have to request it.
Standard User ironman12345
(member) Wed 05-Sep-18 18:52:53
Print Post

SSE or the Daisy network supply IPv6.
They do not seem to be on the ISP list but their top package is 80/20.
I use them and pay £30 per month.
I believe that you can get no setup fees if you also use their power.
Standard User olicuk
(member) Wed 05-Sep-18 23:19:01
Print Post

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

Yes I have Zen with IPv6. I did have to request it via a dedicated email address for the purpose, but it was quickly done.

See here: https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Does-Zen-...

They also usefully provide a (single) static IPv4.

---------
fibre.everestpark.org.uk | Zen VDSL2 80:20 (~64:20) bqm | Draytek 2860 + Ubiquiti AP + SureSignal + EE Signal Box + Netgear NAS
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to