General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User thesquale2
(newbie) Wed 05-Sep-18 12:06:26
Print Post

Virgin to Vodafone ?

[link to this post]

Hello all !

Vodafone seems to have a very contrasted reputation....

i am on Virgin Media VIVID 100 product @ 43/month. I am usually getting 50-70 Mbps speeds depending on the time of the day.

As a vodafone mobile customer, they are offering their Superfast 2 product at 25/month !!! so quite a substantial price difference with Virgin. saying they are guaranteeing speed of 55Mbps (so comparable to Virgin speeds...) and average of 63Mbps.

VERY tempted to switch...

any opnion in terms of speed difference between virgin and vodafone etc ? reliability >?

THANK YOU ALL
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Sep-18 12:56:47
Print Post

Re: Virgin to Vodafone ?

[re: thesquale2] [link to this post]

Are you sure they are guaranteeing a "speed" of 55Mbps or a "sync" of 55Mbps? Your line may sync at 55 but it could see network contention on the Vodafone network which would bring it below that (in the same way as your 100Mbps line with Virgin seems to be suffering contention).

What exactly did Vodafone promise (word for word) and do you have it in writing?
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Sep-18 15:17:18
Print Post

I think you'd be mad to move, just IMO.

Try get a better price with Virgin, I pay 44 for 350mb/Landline and freeview TV (Not a new customer deal - 2nd year)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User thesquale2
(newbie) Wed 05-Sep-18 15:51:51
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Are you sure they are guaranteeing a "speed" of 55Mbps or a "sync" of 55Mbps? Your line may sync at 55 but it could see network contention on the Vodafone network which would bring it below that (in the same way as your 100Mbps line with Virgin seems to be suffering contention).

What exactly did Vodafone promise (word for word) and do you have it in writing?

yes, they are. 55Mbps guarantee and 63 Mbps average....

see here https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/guaranteed-speed

thank you for your reply
Standard User thesquale2
(newbie) Wed 05-Sep-18 15:52:47
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BuckleZ:
I think you'd be mad to move, just IMO.

Try get a better price with Virgin, I pay 44 for 350mb/Landline and freeview TV (Not a new customer deal - 2nd year)

wow. that's a great deal ?! how on earth did you get that ?

why do you think i would be mad if i may ask ?

thanks
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Sep-18 16:12:26
Print Post

Get 15% off your bill if your sync speed is lower than our guarantee
That is the specific detail on the page. The Virgin sync speed will be 100Mbps (actually I think a little higher as Virgin over provision).

That Vodafone page does not guarantee throughput - only sync speed. Ask them to guarantee that you will always get 55Mbps throughput on the connection and they won't.

EDIT : Looking further - the average speed is the average ALL their customers get on that package, it has no relation to your line - the same 63Mbps average speed is listed for my line which can't sync at that. Also, my line has the 55Mbps guarantee - my line maxes at about 50Mbps and there is nothing they could do to change that so they wouldn't be able to meet the guarantee from day 1. I think there is either something wrong with their system or they are offering unicorns and fairy dust. Essentially if I took up their Superfast 2 offer I would have a permanent 15% discount on my bill.

Edited by ian72 (Wed 05-Sep-18 16:18:41)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Sep-18 16:17:38
Print Post

To confirm Vodafone guarantee is just sync speed, i.e. the app looks at sync speed of the modem inside the Vodafone router

if the Virgin service is otherwise good and its just price, I'd chase them for a deal.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Sep-18 16:18:19
Print Post

My Vodafone VDSL connection works fine. I don't use the Vodafone router, it is not good at maintaining a good DSL connection or handling a large number of Wifi devices. I don't suffer from contention problems. It is possible to move in the 1st 30 days if that does happen.

Michael Chare
Standard User thesquale2
(newbie) Wed 05-Sep-18 16:18:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
Get 15% off your bill if your sync speed is lower than our guarantee
That is the specific detail on the page. The Virgin sync speed will be 100Mbps (actually I think a little higher as Virgin over provision).

That Vodafone page does not guarantee throughput - only sync speed. Ask them to guarantee that you will always get 55Mbps throughput on the connection and they won't.

got it. but would Vodafone speed be really massively different to Virgin ?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Sep-18 16:23:01
Print Post

Yes. Virgin is going to always sync at over 100Mb (108 according to Vodafone's own page you linked to). Vodafone will sync at whatever your line can handle and if it goes below 55Mbps then you will get a 15% discount. Virgin can fluctuate as some areas have more contention than others. But, the same could be true of Vodafone but you will be starting from a lower level.

If you are happy with a likely slower connection to get a cheaper price then go for it. But, FTTC sync speed is always more variable than Virgin's technology. If Virgin are seriously under performing or you are seeing other issues then move.

Have you actually checked on the BT checker what speed you can get? The fact Voda offer me the 55Mbps package when I know my line can't sync at that suggests their page is not giving a personalised estimate.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to