General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User grazie
(newbie) Thu 27-Sep-18 21:16:29
Print Post

Re: Best ISPs in East Kent?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Note that it is saying the VDSL/FTTC service is not yet available. So you can't order it from any ISP yet. Even when it is, there will be no automatic change to your service. It has to be ordered as prices are higher than ADSLx.

There are always several deals running so I wouldn't worry too much over that.

"Contracts" are mislabelled in a way. They are for a minimum term. They don't expire. You just reach the end of that term.

At the end of the term the service continues on a monthly basis, but the price will normally rise to the standard level, not any discounted deal that you signed up to. Many ISPs will give another discount deal if contacted but that almost always involves a new minimum term.

Yes I realise that in order to get VDSL/FTTC I would need to place an order for it. However, what I was wondering was whether my ADSL2+ would improve with the installation of new kit. From what others have said, it appears unlikely.

Thanks for the clarification on contracts.
Standard User grazie
(newbie) Fri 28-Sep-18 13:13:25
Print Post

Re: More info

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Likely this is what is called an all in one cabinet, i.e. just one new cabinet that cabinets a traditional cabinet with the modern VDSL2 components.

Given that there's no sign of the old cabinet having ever been there, this sound like what's been done. I assume that this means the ADSL2+ copper wire from the cabinet to the exchange will remain exactly the same?

Have added to our database, but not moved anyone to the cabinet as yet.

Don't know if the above is the reason, but my cabinet is now showing as active.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 28-Sep-18 13:18:44
Print Post

[re: grazie] [link to this post]

Our database is not linked to Openreach was referring to the model we run that lets us produce the data at https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local

Your ADSL2+ is going to remain the same, you need to price a provider/package for the new faster services.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User grazie
(newbie) Fri 28-Sep-18 13:25:32
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Any views on SSE? Nobody appears to have voiced on opinion on this forum, which is surprising. They don't get very good reviews elsewhere by and large, but some seem entirely satisfied.

I like the 30 day rolling contract given my experiences of late. I'm also already an SSE customer, which makes it even more attractive. I'm concerned that no disconnection charges are given in the promotional advertising.

Anybody know what router they're currently sending out?
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 30-Sep-18 13:31:23
Print Post

I had them for 2 months - Honestly wished I never bothered - I had to go to the ombudsman to get out of it.

I have Virgin and AAISP now - recommend them both.
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 30-Sep-18 15:55:38
Print Post

I'm with them, no problems, good performance at all times of day - UK support. The only downside is they seem to prefer phone contact over e-mail(and no tech support through online chat the last time I checked). Topcashback also have offers from £50-£125 for SSE broadband, so take a look at those before you order.

I'd say give them a try, with a one month rolling contract and cashback you've nothing to lose. tongue
Standard User grazie
(newbie) Sun 30-Sep-18 17:57:41
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Not heard of AAISP, thanks. They seem to be priced on the high side, but I can only get an ADSL quote at present.

I definitely can't get Virgin or Vodafone. I don't want Sky or the PO. Not had a great time with Origin and they want an 18 month commitment for fibre. Also a bit concerned by what appears to be the majority of suppliers putting up their prices.

Still tempted by SSE's 30 day rolling contract as if they are as bad as many say, I can easily move. Does mean being possibly inconvenienced for 3 weeks though or so.

When VDSL is hooked up, does it still take a while for it to get up to maximum speed like, ADSL?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 30-Sep-18 19:13:07
Print Post

ASDL would sync at maximum speed on day 1 unless it was Sky

VDSL2 is max sync on day 1 too

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Tue 02-Oct-18 11:10:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

ASDL would sync at maximum speed on day 1 unless it was Sky

VDSL2 is max sync on day 1 too

While technically correct that the DSLAM will sync at the maximum rate for the default DLM profile some lines can see a 15Mb increase between day 1 and the end of week 2.

All new provisions (both Huawei and ECI DSLAM's) will start with low interleaving @6dB target SNRM.
ECI lines can see a 10-15% increase with a change to fastpath.
Huawei lines can benefit much more with G.INP and 3dB SNRM targets.

The higher syncing a line the more it is likely to benefit from a lower target SNRM. Lines which make good use of the D3 band benefit the most.
Standard User grazie
(newbie) Sun 07-Oct-18 23:35:02
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spud2003:
Topcashback also have offers from £50-£125 for SSE broadband, so take a look at those before you order.

Was Topcashback available when you (or anybody else) signed up with SSE? If so, how long did it take for SSE to pay up? I've just signed up for 'Fibre & Anytime Plus' today to get the £151 cashback (ends today) and it's already tracked. I don't really need the Anytime Plus, but with that much cashback it was a bit of a no brainer. However, I don't want to keep paying out for months on end and never get the cashback.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to