General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Oct-18 19:27:46
Print Post

Re: More info

[re: grazie] [link to this post]

I signed up over the phone, not through TopCashback - can't give you timescales, but maybe you can open a support ticket with TCB. I should add I've never had a problem getting ISP cashbacks, and I've claimed a lot.
Standard User grazie
(newbie) Fri 12-Oct-18 12:37:53
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

Thanks Spud. For anyone else that may be interested, TCB is quoting 22 weeks before paying out.
Standard User grazie
(newbie) Sat 27-Oct-18 10:51:24
Print Post

Line connected yesterday. Disappointing that Origin disconnected there service at 6am. Open Reach didn't hook me up to fibre until about 11am. Rather amusingly, the engineer couldn't get into the new cabinet so was hitting it with a big hammer to resolve the problem (I happened to be waiting for bus while he was doing the work).

More disappointing is that the fasted speed I've had is only 12Mbps. SSE Tech Support have been great. They say they can see 39/40Mbps to my router so are currently running some tests to check the line further. However, they've also said they can't pass on the problem to Open Reach, if their test shows no faults, until 10 days after the switch over, which is a little disappointing.

Is there anything I can do to see why the speed I'm getting is slow?

So far, SSE's Technical Support has been top notch.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sat 27-Oct-18 11:05:08
Print Post

Can you post your router stats? If using Wi-Fi for Speedtests, can you test using a wired connection?

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 27-Oct-18 11:12:15
Print Post

That sounds like SSE or their underlying supplier are talking to BT Wholesale, not Openreach.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 71908/13506Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 27-Oct-18 11:13:39)

Standard User grazie
(newbie) Sat 27-Oct-18 13:35:17
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

All sorted now, as speed reported by router and other speed test websites is 38Mbps. A very happy chappie!

I know this isn't that the replace to ask, but not sure where to go. Where should I ask about setting up a VPN on the supplied Techicolor MediaAccess TG589vac v2 router/modem? It doesn't seem possible to me, but the user interface isn't great and I can't see anything in the user guide.

I don't know the difference between BT Openreach and BT Wholesale, but it was BT Openreach who where at my local cabinet and Openreach was the 'word' used by SSE.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 27-Oct-18 19:23:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by grazie:
I know this isn't that the replace to ask, but not sure where to go. Where should I ask about setting up a VPN on the supplied Techicolor MediaAccess TG589vac v2 router/modem? It doesn't seem possible to me, but the user interface isn't great and I can't see anything in the user guide.

I don't think you can run a VPN client (or server) on that router. VPN traffic from a VPN client (or server) on a PC or other device would likely pass through it.

If you wish to connect to public VPN servers, I would expect them to tell you how to configure your client.

Why do you want a VPN. What are you trying to connect to what? I have managed to install VPN servers on two different NAS devices at home using Openvpn protocol. I can use a VPN client on my laptop to connect to these servers from other locations.

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to