General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Dec-18 21:36:14
Print Post

Re: Which One?

[re: markyr74] [link to this post]

I've been with Pulse8 and IDNet and both have been fine.

I've had single thread speed problems with both. The Pulse8 issues was resolved after Adam badgered TTB to death. The IDNet issues is still in play, so we will have to wait and see on that one.

Both ISPs have impressed me in that they have been willing to work with me to try and get the single thread speed issues resolved.

Out of the two, it's hard to split them. Pulse8 is a smaller company and relies on Adam & Sam to provide the Broadband support. IDNet is bigger and provides nominal 24x7 cover.

In terms of value for money, it's hard to go against Pulse8. However it will cost you to move back onto a BTw phone line downstream. I made the choice to jump back to a BTw phone line and am relatively happy with IDNet.

I'm not willing to pay AAISP money and if I were to migrate now, it would almost certainly be to Uno.
Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Dec-18 02:46:10
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

IdNet mailbox not monitored at weekends - Something I found out during an outage recently. It turned out a BT problem, leaving me glad of my 200GB of tethered Virgin 4G for £20 per month.

Standard User markyr74
(learned) Mon 03-Dec-18 08:02:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by jaydub:
I've been with Pulse8 and IDNet and both have been fine.

I've had single thread speed problems with both. The Pulse8 issues was resolved after Adam badgered TTB to death. The IDNet issues is still in play, so we will have to wait and see on that one.

Both ISPs have impressed me in that they have been willing to work with me to try and get the single thread speed issues resolved.

Out of the two, it's hard to split them. Pulse8 is a smaller company and relies on Adam & Sam to provide the Broadband support. IDNet is bigger and provides nominal 24x7 cover.

In terms of value for money, it's hard to go against Pulse8. However it will cost you to move back onto a BTw phone line downstream. I made the choice to jump back to a BTw phone line and am relatively happy with IDNet.

I'm not willing to pay AAISP money and if I were to migrate now, it would almost certainly be to Uno.

Thanks, how has the single thread speed issue affected you? Has it affected Netflix or streaming etc? I want to use the connection to try out the new Nvidia GeForce Now game streaming service.

Also what’s good about Uno?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 03-Dec-18 08:42:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by markyr74:
Everything!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Dec-18 09:00:45
Print Post

Thanks, how has the single thread speed issue affected you? Has it affected Netflix or streaming etc? I want to use the connection to try out the new Nvidia GeForce Now game streaming service.

The FTTC cabinet is the other side of my garden wall, so I get full sync.

Single thread speeds are currently around the 40 Mbps mark, which to be honest isn't noticeable with the way we use our connection. TV streaming, etc remain unaffected.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Dec-18 09:02:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Everything!

Have a search through the forums and I doubt you'll find a negative word about them.

A few more £s than either Zen or IDNet but probably worth it.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Dec-18 10:54:57
Print Post

Have a search through the forums and I doubt you'll find a negative word about them.

Well UNO do use a very ‘special’ in-house dsl availability checker which means they cannot offer their great service to everyone - despite other ISPs and the BT/Openreach checker suggesting otherwise for the same property. I believe I am not alone in experiencing this wink

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Netgear XR700 running DumaOS
Standard User mrkevlh
(newbie) Mon 03-Dec-18 11:20:40
Print Post

I'm also suffering from single threaded performance issues with IDnet despite them telling me no-one else is complaining. I never experienced these issues with TalkTalk residential. Apparently there is some work being done on the 12th which may help me so will wait and see. I looked at Pulse8, TTB and UNO myself but none of those support IPv6 which I do use for testing for work.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 03-Dec-18 14:04:06
Print Post

small company = good in my opinion. As you get personalised support, and the support person knowing they will face you again (accountability) will also have to deal with the repercussions of bad support so more effort is given.

AAISP when I was with them it was always shawn.
Falconnet (entanet reseller) it was always rupert, I think a one man operation.

In both those cases I would say support was above what a big name will ever give you like BT, sky etc. To get personalised support on a big name provider generally only happens when you raise to exec level and a complaints person is assigned to you or e.g. messaging a staff member on plusnet forums.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User ferretuk
(committed) Mon 03-Dec-18 15:47:37
Print Post

I'm not willing to pay AAISP money
Any particular reason, other than you consider them to be too expensive?

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP | ER-Lite Router | Unifi AC-Lite Wifi AP
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to