General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Dec-18 08:17:03
Print Post

Re: Which One?

[re: markyr74] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by markyr74:
Thank you so much for the reply, hmm thatís almost an argument to stay on BT or move to Plusnet! So weíll have to wait till after Wednesday, do post back with what happens.

I've heard of cases where people have moved from cheap budget ISPs to more expensive (niche) providers and actually found their connection worse wrt single thread speeds. Paying more might give you better support but won't guarantee you a better connection. If I was you I would stay with BT (if speeds are fine), better the devil you know and all that...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 11-Dec-18 08:38:14)

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 11-Dec-18 08:24:42
Print Post

Thank you so much for the reply, hmm thatís almost an argument to stay on BT or move to Plusnet! So weíll have to wait till after Wednesday, do post back with what happens.

I have a pretty open mind about whether my single thread speed issues are backhaul related or in the OR part before it reaches the backhaul.

My FTTC cabinet is the other side of the front garden wall and there is nothing in my stats to suggest the issue is between the house and the cabinet and I have tried different modems and routers both from the test socket and the filtered faceplate. The one thing I am convinced about is that my issues aren't local.
Standard User markyr74
(learned) Tue 11-Dec-18 12:49:16
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:

I've heard of cases where people have moved from cheap budget ISPs to more expensive (niche) providers and actually found their connection worse wrt single thread speeds. Paying more might give you better support but won't guarantee you a better connection. If I was you I would stay with BT (if speeds are fine), better the devil you know and all that...

Possibly, but as I said earlier Iíve lost all my IPV6 on my line, BT donít officially support it for residential lines, thatís not very good service IMO and where the smaller companies come in and shine.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Dec-18 14:40:24
Print Post

Only YOU can make the decision!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Dec-18 15:07:18
Print Post

Iíve lost all my IPV6 on my line, BT donít officially support it for residential lines, thatís not very good service IMO and where the smaller companies come in and shine.

Why don't you ask BT - ideally via their forums - to see if they can re-instate ipv6 on your line? The BT forum staff will know what you're talking about and give you a clear answer wrt ipv6. At least give them a chance to resolve this.

Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 11-Dec-18 15:08:45)

Standard User markyr74
(learned) Tue 11-Dec-18 19:27:54
Print Post

Iíve lost all my IPV6 on my line, BT donít officially support it for residential lines, thatís not very good service IMO and where the smaller companies come in and shine.

Why don't you ask BT - ideally via their forums - to see if they can re-instate ipv6 on your line? The BT forum staff will know what you're talking about and give you a clear answer wrt ipv6. At least give them a chance to resolve this.

I did! And the last response I got was ĎWhy are you so desperate to have IPv6?í.... yeah sums up the help from the forums there. Iíve repeatedly asked for a moderator to take a look and not one response from any of them. Waste of time.

Edited by markyr74 (Tue 11-Dec-18 19:30:31)

(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Dec-18 19:37:59
Print Post

I did! And the last response I got was ĎWhy are you so desperate to have IPv6?í.... yeah sums up the help from the forums there. Iíve repeatedly asked for a moderator to take a look and not one response from any of them. Waste of time.

Gotcha. Do BT Business do ipv6 officially?

Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User markyr74
(learned) Wed 12-Dec-18 12:52:35
Print Post

No idea, I guess so? I had a play last night and couldnít get it to work so Iíll plug my BT Superhub in and see if that works, if not Iíll try and get it troubleshot.
Standard User markyr74
(learned) Wed 12-Dec-18 19:44:48
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jaydub:
As probably one of the few who has experienced both, here's my thoughts.

I migrated from Pulse8 to Aquiss, but experienced very variable single thread speeds, particularly during the working day when business traffic is prioritised.

Martin thought the reason for my performance issues may have been down to the Entanet Manchester node , which was awaiting a bandwidth upgrade. He agreed to release me from my contract and I migrated to IDNet with with a TTB backhaul.

Again variable single thread speeds, but they agreed to move me to BTw backhaul, which was the best FTTC experience I have had with consistently good single thread speeds. I stopped running TBB tests for a couple of months in July and August, did a quick check in September and found my single thread speeds had dropped to half my multi thread speeds.

I am now awaiting the outcome of some network change by IDNet's supplier on the 12th to see if it resolves the issue.

If not I may well give Uno a try.

TBH, I had single-thread speed issues when at Pulse 8, which Adam managed to push TTB into fixing, so there is something about my connection which feels slightly blighted.

If I had to make a straight choice between Aquiss and IDNet, I would plump for IDNet just.

So has your fault now been fixed? Are your single speeds now back to normal?
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Dec-18 22:41:22
Print Post

So has your fault now been fixed? Are your single speeds now back to normal?

it would appear so:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15448208076...

It looks as though normal service has been resumed, however it is over three months since I originally reported the issue.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to