General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Dec-18 01:11:51
Print Post

Re: Which One?

[re: markyr74] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by markyr74:
In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Thank you so much for the reply, hmm thatís almost an argument to stay on BT or move to Plusnet! So weíll have to wait till after Wednesday, do post back with what happens.

I've heard of cases where people have moved from cheap budget ISPs to more expensive (niche) providers and actually found their connection worse wrt single thread speeds. Paying more might give you better support but won't guarantee you a better connection. If I was you I would stay with BT (if speeds are fine), better the devil you know and all that...

Possibly, but as I said earlier Iíve lost all my IPV6 on my line, BT donít officially support it for residential lines, thatís not very good service IMO and where the smaller companies come in and shine.

If you use the HH6 they do - I had it for ages on my line
Standard User flippery
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Dec-18 06:33:46
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

That backs up the ispreviiew 2016 statement. "All BT lines now support ipv6 on latest smarthub 6 or compatible router." Smarthub 4 and 5 later. date.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Dec-18 10:28:00
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jaydub:
It would appear so:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15448208076...

It looks as though normal service has been resumed, however it is over three months since I originally reported the issue.

Average pings have gone up from 12-13ms to ~20ms though. Big outage on Wednesday morning on my BQM graph:
My Broadband Ping

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Dec-18 10:38:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by jaydub:
Average pings have gone up from 12-13ms to ~20ms though. Big outage on Wednesday morning on my BQM graph:
My Broadband Ping

Further change this morning at ~07:45. Increase in downstream SNRM, and downstream sync speed. Reduction in max attainable and pings back down to 13ms. DLM action?

My Broadband Ping
Standard User mrkevlh
(newbie) Sat 15-Dec-18 10:51:29
Print Post

Probably. Mine did the exact same thing. DLM can take upto 14days to finish.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Dec-18 11:27:35
Print Post

[re: mrkevlh] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mrkevlh:
Probably. Mine did the exact same thing. DLM can take upto 14days to finish.

Are your single thread speeds back to normal as well.

Still need to feed back to IDNet and to get a better explanation of what changes have been made.
Standard User mrkevlh
(newbie) Sat 15-Dec-18 11:37:24
Print Post

So far yes. I need to check tonight to make sure but so far downloads are a lot more consistent in speed which was main complaint. If all goes well I'll be well happy.
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Sat 15-Dec-18 13:54:52
Print Post

[re: mrkevlh] [link to this post]

Finish what? This 14 day period doesn't exist on VDSL.

William Grimsley.
Standard User markyr74
(learned) Sat 15-Dec-18 14:06:46
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
... nested quotes trimmed ...

I've heard of cases where people have moved from cheap budget ISPs to more expensive (niche) providers and actually found their connection worse wrt single thread speeds. Paying more might give you better support but won't guarantee you a better connection. If I was you I would stay with BT (if speeds are fine), better the devil you know and all that...

Possibly, but as I said earlier Iíve lost all my IPV6 on my line, BT donít officially support it for residential lines, thatís not very good service IMO and where the smaller companies come in and shine.

If you use the HH6 they do - I had it for ages on my line

It is working fine, I plugged my Smarthub back in the other evening and IPv6 was working fine... seems since my Google WFi did itís last update it has stopped IPV6 from working. I have a Draytek Vigor 130 too.

So Iíll need to think because no way Iím swapping my kit out, they made changes so IPv6 is disabled by default on PPPOE. Everything works and performs fine. May just forget about IPV6? Seems I should have thought of trying the old BT Hub first haha!

Iíll try a restore on my Google WFi still just to see.

But thanks for the update on the single thread performance, I will look more into IDNet in January, no point doing it now.
Iíll have to weigh up the pros and cons and compare pricing, Iím currently on 55/ 10 package, I was thinking of the 80/ 20 one.

As usual these things come down to value and price, but I think IDnet would be my choice of small ISP.
Standard User mrkevlh
(newbie) Sat 15-Dec-18 14:47:23
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WilliamGrimsley:
Finish what? This 14 day period doesn't exist on VDSL.

How long is it then, 10days? There certainly is a period of time whilst DLM adjusts your line during an initial connection.

Day 1: I got about 68Mbps (originally this was 79Mbps. Latency increased to 22ms.
Day 2: SNR increased from 6.3 to 7.3 and speed bumped back up to 79Mbps.
Day 3: SNR decreased back down to 6.1. G.INP was turned on.
Day 4: Latency dropped to 13ms.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to