General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User markyr74
(learned) Wed 28-Nov-18 22:58:38
Print Post

Which One?

[link to this post]

Need to change provider, or stay with my current one on a new contract. So after some help.

Ideally want an all in one telephone and FTTC package, really would like decent throughput in the evenings, and some half decent support. And I donít want Sky BB.

Iím currently on BT Infinity 55MBPS, works alright but Iíve lost my IPV6 for no apparent reason, havenít contacted them yet but know itíll be hard to resolve with their technical services so want someone who is easy to deal with. Plus not bothered about it.
Has to unlimited BB use too.

I have my own DrayTek Vigor 130 modem and Google WiFi and do not want to change it.

So far Iíve thought if IDNet, Pulse 8, AAISP are way too expensive plus donít do telephones. Pulse 8 any good?
Also thought about Plusnet or staying with BT if I wonít get anything better with the others?

Are IDNet still worth it? Thinking of possibly jumping up to the 75mbps speeds, no idea if Iíll ever get 300mbps on my line.

Thanks in advance smile

Oh and I would like a provider who doesnít put their prices up mid contract either!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 29-Nov-18 01:51:01
Print Post

Re: Which One?

[re: markyr74] [link to this post]

Pulse8 most definitely do do telephones. (It defaults to the Business tab, so click the Home one. Mine is with them and my broadband is with AAISP.

AA do line only (no phone service) if that's any good. Their price list clearly states this. The first two tables give the prices with and without.

What does this checker show for your maximum speeds? (The two VDSL lines).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 72382/13812Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User markyr74
(learned) Thu 29-Nov-18 13:19:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, I donít want to use AA as said, they are far too expensive and donít offer unlimited service. Also I want my phone line and broadband to be from the same provider.

My line can get 80MBPS, unless I want to pay for a fibre cable from the exchange to be fitted, my CAB is outside the exchange on the pavement! And I ainít paying the thousands for that

Aquiss is also one Iíve looked at. Or maybe Zen?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative Drew_M
(isp) Thu 29-Nov-18 14:55:34
Print Post

Well we provide v6 natively, we are based in Sussex so we do all speak with a very southern England accent and have decent technical services (But then I would say that wink ).
Our rates are here https://www.trunknetworks.com/broadband/superfast/ and if you see unacceptable slow downs in the evening, 'Our commitment to you' (A precursor to the OfCOM code of conduct which we are working on signing up to) will ensure you have a way out.

Any questions, please feel free to drop me a line.

Drew

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Nov-18 16:21:40
Print Post

Talk Talk Business have a black Friday offer which ends shortly.

Michael Chare
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Nov-18 09:48:23
Print Post

Did you say "do do".......? smile

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Nov-18 11:36:15
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

LOL

Yes. But not Dodo!

It makes perfect sense, particularly when speaking, in the context of as in this case a reply to ďdonít do telephonesĒ. Just looks odd. Similarly, I sometimes use ďthat thatĒ.

smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 72382/13812Kbps @ 600m. (Disabled:BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6)
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-Nov-18 15:01:32
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
Talk Talk Business have a black Friday offer which ends shortly.

I would second those - I was with them for 2 years - even though I was at home.
Standard User markyr74
(learned) Sun 02-Dec-18 20:16:05
Print Post

Any other advice? Not really into signing up to 24 month contracts so TalkTalk Business doesnít interest me.

Zen, Idnet, Pulse8, BT.. etc.. who do you guys recommend?
Standard User flippery
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Dec-18 21:34:08
Print Post

I have no problem with Puse8 in 3 years. Support is good when needed. Broadband speed consistent.
Only one price rise in 3 years. Due to change in line rental structure.
1 month contract, albeit with £59 connection cost. Price competitive. For my use the cost per minute of phone calls is better than other packages.
Only low user though

Edited by flippery (Sun 02-Dec-18 21:36:36)

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Dec-18 21:36:14
Print Post

I've been with Pulse8 and IDNet and both have been fine.

I've had single thread speed problems with both. The Pulse8 issues was resolved after Adam badgered TTB to death. The IDNet issues is still in play, so we will have to wait and see on that one.

Both ISPs have impressed me in that they have been willing to work with me to try and get the single thread speed issues resolved.

Out of the two, it's hard to split them. Pulse8 is a smaller company and relies on Adam & Sam to provide the Broadband support. IDNet is bigger and provides nominal 24x7 cover.

In terms of value for money, it's hard to go against Pulse8. However it will cost you to move back onto a BTw phone line downstream. I made the choice to jump back to a BTw phone line and am relatively happy with IDNet.

I'm not willing to pay AAISP money and if I were to migrate now, it would almost certainly be to Uno.
Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Dec-18 02:46:10
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

IdNet mailbox not monitored at weekends - Something I found out during an outage recently. It turned out a BT problem, leaving me glad of my 200GB of tethered Virgin 4G for £20 per month.

Standard User markyr74
(learned) Mon 03-Dec-18 08:02:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by jaydub:
I've been with Pulse8 and IDNet and both have been fine.

I've had single thread speed problems with both. The Pulse8 issues was resolved after Adam badgered TTB to death. The IDNet issues is still in play, so we will have to wait and see on that one.

Both ISPs have impressed me in that they have been willing to work with me to try and get the single thread speed issues resolved.

Out of the two, it's hard to split them. Pulse8 is a smaller company and relies on Adam & Sam to provide the Broadband support. IDNet is bigger and provides nominal 24x7 cover.

In terms of value for money, it's hard to go against Pulse8. However it will cost you to move back onto a BTw phone line downstream. I made the choice to jump back to a BTw phone line and am relatively happy with IDNet.

I'm not willing to pay AAISP money and if I were to migrate now, it would almost certainly be to Uno.

Thanks, how has the single thread speed issue affected you? Has it affected Netflix or streaming etc? I want to use the connection to try out the new Nvidia GeForce Now game streaming service.

Also whatís good about Uno?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 03-Dec-18 08:42:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by markyr74:
Everything!

Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Dec-18 09:00:45
Print Post

Thanks, how has the single thread speed issue affected you? Has it affected Netflix or streaming etc? I want to use the connection to try out the new Nvidia GeForce Now game streaming service.

The FTTC cabinet is the other side of my garden wall, so I get full sync.

Single thread speeds are currently around the 40 Mbps mark, which to be honest isn't noticeable with the way we use our connection. TV streaming, etc remain unaffected.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Dec-18 09:02:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Everything!

Have a search through the forums and I doubt you'll find a negative word about them.

A few more £s than either Zen or IDNet but probably worth it.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Dec-18 10:54:57
Print Post

Have a search through the forums and I doubt you'll find a negative word about them.

Well UNO do use a very Ďspecialí in-house dsl availability checker which means they cannot offer their great service to everyone - despite other ISPs and the BT/Openreach checker suggesting otherwise for the same property. I believe I am not alone in experiencing this wink

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Netgear XR700 running DumaOS
Standard User mrkevlh
(newbie) Mon 03-Dec-18 11:20:40
Print Post

I'm also suffering from single threaded performance issues with IDnet despite them telling me no-one else is complaining. I never experienced these issues with TalkTalk residential. Apparently there is some work being done on the 12th which may help me so will wait and see. I looked at Pulse8, TTB and UNO myself but none of those support IPv6 which I do use for testing for work.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 03-Dec-18 14:04:06
Print Post

small company = good in my opinion. As you get personalised support, and the support person knowing they will face you again (accountability) will also have to deal with the repercussions of bad support so more effort is given.

AAISP when I was with them it was always shawn.
Falconnet (entanet reseller) it was always rupert, I think a one man operation.

In both those cases I would say support was above what a big name will ever give you like BT, sky etc. To get personalised support on a big name provider generally only happens when you raise to exec level and a complaints person is assigned to you or e.g. messaging a staff member on plusnet forums.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User ferretuk
(committed) Mon 03-Dec-18 15:47:37
Print Post

I'm not willing to pay AAISP money
Any particular reason, other than you consider them to be too expensive?

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP | ER-Lite Router | Unifi AC-Lite Wifi AP
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Dec-18 17:56:52
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ferretuk:
I'm not willing to pay AAISP money
Any particular reason, other than you consider them to be too expensive?

I'm a tight fisted Yorkshireman and I consider them to be too expensive. Simple as that really.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Dec-18 17:57:47
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:

Well UNO do use a very Ďspecialí in-house dsl availability checker which means they cannot offer their great service to everyone - despite other ISPs and the BT/Openreach checker suggesting otherwise for the same property. I believe I am not alone in experiencing this wink

Well maybe the odd negative word then. wink
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Dec-18 18:03:40
Print Post

[re: mrkevlh] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mrkevlh:
I'm also suffering from single threaded performance issues with IDnet despite them telling me no-one else is complaining. I never experienced these issues with TalkTalk residential. Apparently there is some work being done on the 12th which may help me so will wait and see. I looked at Pulse8, TTB and UNO myself but none of those support IPv6 which I do use for testing for work.

Interestingly we are not reporting the same issue. Mu single thread speed is nigh on 50% of my sync speed, regardless of the time of day I test; your's seems to vary with the time of day.

I'm also waiting on the network changes on the 12th. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Standard User markyr74
(learned) Mon 03-Dec-18 19:02:49
Print Post

Hmm well I looked at UNO and they are more expensive, plus their websites a nightmare to navigate and doesnít offer combined fibre and landline, which looks like one with TTB and the other with Openreach?
Although as I want IPV6 I think Idnet May be the only choice then?

I think Iíll wait till after the 12th then, Iím in no rush smile hmm still thinking if Idnet or Pulse8.

Edited by markyr74 (Mon 03-Dec-18 19:03:54)

Standard User partial
(experienced) Mon 03-Dec-18 21:08:37
Print Post

Why don't you simply raise a ticket with BT to sort out the ip6 thing?

In my view, nowadays there is no need to pay more to suffer slow speeds and be on first name terms with the one man band.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Dec-18 10:56:00
Print Post

Yes which is odd - I still to this day can't get their service - i am not in a FTTC are apparently... they don't even offer it to some tight fisted yorkshiremen in Sheffield - even the ones down t'road

I used to live down t'road - but I am not a tight fisted Yorkshireman.
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Dec-18 11:28:59
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
I used to live down t'road - but I am not a tight fisted Yorkshireman.

LOL grin

Netgear XR700 running DumaOS
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 04-Dec-18 12:36:54
Print Post

My belief is that some people fall foul of a bug in the ordering system when trying to join, or there is a black list for whatever reason.

Just the only explanations I can think of.

In terms of the original comments by myself and some later, there is probably nothing else to be found complaining about the products performances or the customer service.

Standard User markyr74
(learned) Tue 04-Dec-18 20:40:34
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by partial:
Why don't you simply raise a ticket with BT to sort out the ip6 thing?

In my view, nowadays there is no need to pay more to suffer slow speeds and be on first name terms with the one man band.

Because they donít officially support IPV6 for residential broadband, so you can speak to the technical support, but their are no guarantees they will do anything about it. Thatís not the technical support I want, ergo I want to leave them.
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Dec-18 21:44:41
Print Post

I'm suffering peak time single thread issues at weekends and Tuesday evenings with IdNet resolk Zen LLU. I am told they are planning switching to BT backhaul. Customer service is reasonably good.

(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Dec-18 21:50:54
Print Post

Correct, you are not alone. A few of us ex-customers are magically on a line that everyone else but them can supply. I left after getting fed up with the wait for FTTC, but that was enough it seems.

Standard User markyr74
(learned) Wed 05-Dec-18 00:20:41
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Do you mean you left BT for Idnet? When are they going to switch you to an Ooen Reach line? I just ran a Speedtest using the one youíve linked to in your sig, 55 down and 9.7 up. So theirs not much wrong with my Open rwach FTTC line, but it is 12:20AM mind!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 05-Dec-18 01:04:59
Print Post

Except for the tiny percentage of new fibre lines in a few cities, all landlines that run to our homes are either Openreach or Virgin Media cable. Plus Kingston and Hull which has its own system, or did.

Virgin Media is a case on its own as its lines only support itís own broadband.

Sky, TalkTalk, Vodafone, Uno, IDNet, Zen and all the others use Openreach lines at least to the exchange, That includes FTTC, FTTP and ADSLx. Most ISPs use BT Wholesale (controlled) services on the fibre and copper lines. The LLU Suppliers control the Openreach copper lines that they use, but not really the FTTC and FTTP lines between us and the exchange.

Zen are a sort of half-way house between BT Wholesale and LLU as far as I can tell. IDNet use some BT Wholesale and some Zen services. But all those lines are Openreach as far as the exchange, both copper and fibre.

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Dec-18 09:05:31
Print Post

IDNet use some BT Wholesale and some Zen services.

IDNet also use TTB
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 05-Dec-18 10:20:13
Print Post

Correct smile.

(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Dec-18 21:27:39
Print Post

First point is, I haven't been a BT customer for years. The second is that all Idnet services put are delivered via a BT line, which has little to do with some of their backhaul being Zen LLU.

(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Dec-18 21:28:47
Print Post

But as far as I know, SMPF.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 05-Dec-18 21:32:15
Print Post

I thinks so too.

My broadband cease (FTTC) happens tomorrow smile. I've been on 4G now for about a week.

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Dec-18 22:40:34
Print Post

here is probably nothing else to be found complaining about the products performances or the customer service.

Well, as the company will never give some of us the chance to experience it - we will never know.. thank goodness they are one of many - however you would think with my old employer* in the same town - they would be crying out to get all the customers they can - maybe it's just a hobby for whoever owns/runs it?

*They won't do you proud, put it THAT way!
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Dec-18 22:41:51
Print Post

I thinks so too.

My broadband cease (FTTC) happens tomorrow smile. I've been on 4G now for about a week.

When mine did I still had the FTTC line for a week . and I canned it because I could - the AA system was all dead so I was not concerned.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 06-Dec-18 00:49:10
Print Post

I only ordered the cease on Wednesday afternoon. It gave a drop down list of dates to kill it, starting what is now today. I expect Openreach will take a while though for their bit, but my AA service will be gone.

(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Dec-18 11:59:16
Print Post

Yes, The Virgin 4G I have is serving me very well as I am out and about a lot, including a lot of time at our Scottish property. A Godsend when the FTTC is down here and honestly could replace it. £20 per month for more than I ever use along with 5,000 minutes, tethering and unlimited texts the best deal I have ever done, especially with the £10 lifetime discount.

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Dec-18 20:00:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by professor973:
First point is, I haven't been a BT customer for years. The second is that all Idnet services put are delivered via a BT line, which has little to do with some of their backhaul being Zen LLU.

Surely an OR line?
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Dec-18 20:03:57
Print Post

I joined IDNet with a BTw phone line and a TTB FTTC connection, so not SMPF (or at least not last year)
Standard User markyr74
(learned) Fri 07-Dec-18 21:55:23
Print Post

I joined IDNet with a BTw phone line and a TTB FTTC connection, so not SMPF (or at least not last year)

How has that gone for you? Any problems?
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Dec-18 01:17:20
Print Post

Lol

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Dec-18 22:26:12
Print Post

Yes, The Virgin 4G I have is serving me very well as I am out and about a lot, including a lot of time at our Scottish property. A Godsend when the FTTC is down here and honestly could replace it. £20 per month for more than I ever use along with 5,000 minutes, tethering and unlimited texts the best deal I have ever done, especially with the £10 lifetime discount.

So you have the same deal that I got - I am about half way through the 200GB but I have given up now - at least it will roll over smile
Standard User markyr74
(learned) Mon 10-Dec-18 21:28:55
Print Post

Hmm seems you lot arenít much help! Now one getting replies of Ďlolí and you are talking about mobile network contracts!

Iíll make it simple... Aquiss or Idnet?
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Dec-18 22:56:01
Print Post

As probably one of the few who has experienced both, here's my thoughts.

I migrated from Pulse8 to Aquiss, but experienced very variable single thread speeds, particularly during the working day when business traffic is prioritised.

Martin thought the reason for my performance issues may have been down to the Entanet Manchester node , which was awaiting a bandwidth upgrade. He agreed to release me from my contract and I migrated to IDNet with with a TTB backhaul.

Again variable single thread speeds, but they agreed to move me to BTw backhaul, which was the best FTTC experience I have had with consistently good single thread speeds. I stopped running TBB tests for a couple of months in July and August, did a quick check in September and found my single thread speeds had dropped to half my multi thread speeds.

I am now awaiting the outcome of some network change by IDNet's supplier on the 12th to see if it resolves the issue.

If not I may well give Uno a try.

TBH, I had single-thread speed issues when at Pulse 8, which Adam managed to push TTB into fixing, so there is something about my connection which feels slightly blighted.

If I had to make a straight choice between Aquiss and IDNet, I would plump for IDNet just.
Standard User markyr74
(learned) Tue 11-Dec-18 01:04:15
Print Post

I migrated from Pulse8 to Aquiss, but experienced very variable single thread speeds, particularly during the working day when business traffic is prioritised.

Martin thought the reason for my performance issues may have been down to the Entanet Manchester node , which was awaiting a bandwidth upgrade. He agreed to release me from my contract and I migrated to IDNet with with a TTB backhaul.

Again variable single thread speeds, but they agreed to move me to BTw backhaul, which was the best FTTC experience I have had with consistently good single thread speeds. I stopped running TBB tests for a couple of months in July and August, did a quick check in September and found my single thread speeds had dropped to half my multi thread speeds.

I am now awaiting the outcome of some network change by IDNet's supplier on the 12th to see if it resolves the issue.

TBH, I had single-thread speed issues when at Pulse 8, which Adam managed to push TTB into fixing, so there is something about my connection which feels slightly blighted.

If I had to make a straight choice between Aquiss and IDNet, I would plump for IDNet just.

Thank you so much for the reply, hmm thatís almost an argument to stay on BT or move to Plusnet! So weíll have to wait till after Wednesday, do post back with what happens.
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Dec-18 08:17:03
Print Post

Thank you so much for the reply, hmm thatís almost an argument to stay on BT or move to Plusnet! So weíll have to wait till after Wednesday, do post back with what happens.

I've heard of cases where people have moved from cheap budget ISPs to more expensive (niche) providers and actually found their connection worse wrt single thread speeds. Paying more might give you better support but won't guarantee you a better connection. If I was you I would stay with BT (if speeds are fine), better the devil you know and all that...

Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 11-Dec-18 08:38:14)

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 11-Dec-18 08:24:42
Print Post

I have a pretty open mind about whether my single thread speed issues are backhaul related or in the OR part before it reaches the backhaul.

My FTTC cabinet is the other side of the front garden wall and there is nothing in my stats to suggest the issue is between the house and the cabinet and I have tried different modems and routers both from the test socket and the filtered faceplate. The one thing I am convinced about is that my issues aren't local.
Standard User markyr74
(learned) Tue 11-Dec-18 12:49:16
Print Post

I've heard of cases where people have moved from cheap budget ISPs to more expensive (niche) providers and actually found their connection worse wrt single thread speeds. Paying more might give you better support but won't guarantee you a better connection. If I was you I would stay with BT (if speeds are fine), better the devil you know and all that...

Possibly, but as I said earlier Iíve lost all my IPV6 on my line, BT donít officially support it for residential lines, thatís not very good service IMO and where the smaller companies come in and shine.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Dec-18 14:40:24
Print Post

Only YOU can make the decision!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Dec-18 15:07:18
Print Post

Iíve lost all my IPV6 on my line, BT donít officially support it for residential lines, thatís not very good service IMO and where the smaller companies come in and shine.

Why don't you ask BT - ideally via their forums - to see if they can re-instate ipv6 on your line? The BT forum staff will know what you're talking about and give you a clear answer wrt ipv6. At least give them a chance to resolve this.

Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 11-Dec-18 15:08:45)

Standard User markyr74
(learned) Tue 11-Dec-18 19:27:54
Print Post

Iíve lost all my IPV6 on my line, BT donít officially support it for residential lines, thatís not very good service IMO and where the smaller companies come in and shine.

Why don't you ask BT - ideally via their forums - to see if they can re-instate ipv6 on your line? The BT forum staff will know what you're talking about and give you a clear answer wrt ipv6. At least give them a chance to resolve this.

I did! And the last response I got was ĎWhy are you so desperate to have IPv6?í.... yeah sums up the help from the forums there. Iíve repeatedly asked for a moderator to take a look and not one response from any of them. Waste of time.

Edited by markyr74 (Tue 11-Dec-18 19:30:31)

(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Dec-18 19:37:59
Print Post

I did! And the last response I got was ĎWhy are you so desperate to have IPv6?í.... yeah sums up the help from the forums there. Iíve repeatedly asked for a moderator to take a look and not one response from any of them. Waste of time.

Gotcha. Do BT Business do ipv6 officially?

Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User markyr74
(learned) Wed 12-Dec-18 12:52:35
Print Post

No idea, I guess so? I had a play last night and couldnít get it to work so Iíll plug my BT Superhub in and see if that works, if not Iíll try and get it troubleshot.
Standard User markyr74
(learned) Wed 12-Dec-18 19:44:48
Print Post

So has your fault now been fixed? Are your single speeds now back to normal?
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Dec-18 22:41:22
Print Post

So has your fault now been fixed? Are your single speeds now back to normal?

it would appear so:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15448208076...

It looks as though normal service has been resumed, however it is over three months since I originally reported the issue.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Dec-18 01:11:51
Print Post

Possibly, but as I said earlier Iíve lost all my IPV6 on my line, BT donít officially support it for residential lines, thatís not very good service IMO and where the smaller companies come in and shine.

If you use the HH6 they do - I had it for ages on my line
Standard User flippery
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Dec-18 06:33:46
Print Post

That backs up the ispreviiew 2016 statement. "All BT lines now support ipv6 on latest smarthub 6 or compatible router." Smarthub 4 and 5 later. date.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Dec-18 10:28:00
Print Post

It would appear so:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15448208076...

It looks as though normal service has been resumed, however it is over three months since I originally reported the issue.

Average pings have gone up from 12-13ms to ~20ms though. Big outage on Wednesday morning on my BQM graph:
My Broadband Ping
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Dec-18 10:38:09
Print Post

Average pings have gone up from 12-13ms to ~20ms though. Big outage on Wednesday morning on my BQM graph:
My Broadband Ping

Further change this morning at ~07:45. Increase in downstream SNRM, and downstream sync speed. Reduction in max attainable and pings back down to 13ms. DLM action?

My Broadband Ping
Standard User mrkevlh
(newbie) Sat 15-Dec-18 10:51:29
Print Post

Probably. Mine did the exact same thing. DLM can take upto 14days to finish.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Dec-18 11:27:35
Print Post

Probably. Mine did the exact same thing. DLM can take upto 14days to finish.

Are your single thread speeds back to normal as well.

Still need to feed back to IDNet and to get a better explanation of what changes have been made.
Standard User mrkevlh
(newbie) Sat 15-Dec-18 11:37:24
Print Post

So far yes. I need to check tonight to make sure but so far downloads are a lot more consistent in speed which was main complaint. If all goes well I'll be well happy.
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Sat 15-Dec-18 13:54:52
Print Post

Finish what? This 14 day period doesn't exist on VDSL.

William Grimsley.
Standard User markyr74
(learned) Sat 15-Dec-18 14:06:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
... nested quotes trimmed ...

If you use the HH6 they do - I had it for ages on my line

It is working fine, I plugged my Smarthub back in the other evening and IPv6 was working fine... seems since my Google WFi did itís last update it has stopped IPV6 from working. I have a Draytek Vigor 130 too.

So Iíll need to think because no way Iím swapping my kit out, they made changes so IPv6 is disabled by default on PPPOE. Everything works and performs fine. May just forget about IPV6? Seems I should have thought of trying the old BT Hub first haha!

Iíll try a restore on my Google WFi still just to see.

But thanks for the update on the single thread performance, I will look more into IDNet in January, no point doing it now.
Iíll have to weigh up the pros and cons and compare pricing, Iím currently on 55/ 10 package, I was thinking of the 80/ 20 one.

As usual these things come down to value and price, but I think IDnet would be my choice of small ISP.
Standard User mrkevlh
(newbie) Sat 15-Dec-18 14:47:23
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WilliamGrimsley:

How long is it then, 10days? There certainly is a period of time whilst DLM adjusts your line during an initial connection.

Day 1: I got about 68Mbps (originally this was 79Mbps. Latency increased to 22ms.
Day 2: SNR increased from 6.3 to 7.3 and speed bumped back up to 79Mbps.
Day 3: SNR decreased back down to 6.1. G.INP was turned on.
Day 4: Latency dropped to 13ms.
(experienced) Sat 15-Dec-18 15:41:05
Print Post

There is no period, it's a falacy that ISPs tell you so that you have difficulty declaring a fault with the service within the first x days.

DLM is on from the time the service goes live, it doesn't turn off.

William Grimsley.
Standard User markyr74
(learned) Sat 15-Dec-18 15:58:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by WilliamGrimsley:

How long is it then, 10days? There certainly is a period of time whilst DLM adjusts your line during an initial connection.

Day 1: I got about 68Mbps (originally this was 79Mbps. Latency increased to 22ms.
Day 2: SNR increased from 6.3 to 7.3 and speed bumped back up to 79Mbps.
Day 3: SNR decreased back down to 6.1. G.INP was turned on.
Day 4: Latency dropped to 13ms.

DLM will take 2 weeks straight, or 14 days to complete, no less and no more. After that it just constantly monitors your line but does nothing pretty much unless you have a fault, or turn your modem on and off enough to mimick a fault.
Some ISPís policies is to allow the DLM to expire those 14 days before continuing to report a fault if you still have one.

Edited by markyr74 (Sat 15-Dec-18 16:01:47)

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Dec-18 16:47:05
Print Post

That applied to BT Wholesale ADSL, and the period was 10 days - and this was largely to set the FTR/MSR so if DLM later altered the line and the rates were lower than originally "trained" within that 10 days, it was considered a fault.

It does not apply in the same way with VDSL on Openreach hardware, regardless of the ISP.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host

Edited by uno (Sat 15-Dec-18 16:50:18)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 15-Dec-18 16:56:12
Print Post

Both of you are correct in some ways, and both incorrect in others.

For a start, DLM on ADSL2+ and DLM on FTTC act in completely different ways. The first acts on BT Wholesale MSANs/DSLAMs at the exchange to BT Wholesale specifications. The second works on Openreach DSLAMs in the cabinets, to Openreach specifications.

The only significant commonality between them from the end user point of view is that for BT Wholesale-based ISPs an IP Profile is applied by the BT Wholesale BRAS system for both ADSLx and FTTC when it is notified of the connection speed and applied in their backhaul.

It is not applied (so far as I know) in the Openreach DSLAMs. It is nothing to do with Openreach.

The 10-day period, as WG says, is a complete myth. On both services. On ADSLx it is used purely to calculate the Maximum Stable Rate and Fault Threshold Rate, which are set by the lowest sync during the 10 days. The actions the DLM takes during that ten days are just like they are all the time.

FTTC DLM has an initial "grace period" of 24-48 hours when DLM basically works and may take a few hours to settle from first connection, but in seriously unstable lines will cap the maximum sync in both directions to obtain stability. It can also cap the line at any future time if certain criteria are exceeded.

I don't think there has ever been a 14-day period involved for anything technical. The nearest I can think of off-hand is the ten working days Ofcom stipulate for a migrating user to change their mind. Even that isn't always 14 calendar days, as Bank Holidays are excluded as well. Not just Saturday and Sunday.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 15-Dec-18 16:59:30
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Snap. I'm more verbose, but less authoritive smile.

And re the Subject Matt, as I think I've said in the thread, (maybe not), uno means one! Which is no doubt the reason for your choosing it.

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Dec-18 17:03:36
Print Post

I went for short and sweet!

Kitz has a good write up on DLM - https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM_system.htm

Training & Stabilisation - Setting the MSR and FTR. The stabilisation period is a 'one off' event that occurs during the first 10 day training period with adsl connections. Details about the MSR and FTR are explained elsewhere on the site: MSR & FTR.
FTTC does not have a training period. The FTR is set at 15Mbps for lines which sync at >15Mbps or 2Mbps for lines which sync between 2-15Mbps.

Matt

uno Communications
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 15-Dec-18 17:04:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by uno:
It does not apply in the same way with VDSL on Openreach hardware, regardless of the ISP.
Though the BT Wholesale checker erroneously says it does frown. Amongst other faults on its display such is "premise" in some recent additions rather then the correct "premises" already (and still present) there in earlier editions.

It is slowly spreading through Group publications.

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Dec-18 17:05:54
Print Post

Maybe identically would have been a better word...

Matt

uno Communications

Edited by uno (Sat 15-Dec-18 17:06:06)

Standard User markyr74
(learned) Sat 15-Dec-18 17:10:02
Print Post

It does run for 2 weeks, it did it twice this year on my line due to my messing about with equipment, speeds are capped and are put back after two weeks. And thatís a fact. No idea where you got your info from.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 15-Dec-18 17:13:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by uno:
Kitz has a good write up on DLM - https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM_system.htm
So have I tongue. More noddy level as intended, and needing updates. But correct in principle.

I do have a more technical question though. I'll get back to you later on that.

BT Wholesale As at 2013.

Openreach As at 2013.

10-day training period As at 2010.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 15-Dec-18 17:15:27)

(experienced) Sat 15-Dec-18 17:15:09
Print Post

Sorry, but you're wrong. Bob has explained it very well, and has vast knowledge on this subject.

William Grimsley.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 15-Dec-18 17:17:17
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

Matt at uno has vast2 or more than I!

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 15-Dec-18 19:46:25
Print Post

It does run for 2 weeks, it did it twice this year on my line due to my messing about with equipment, speeds are capped and are put back after two weeks. And thatís a fact. No idea where you got your info from.
That is not proof of anything. You can be capped for months, or even permanently. Do a search on the Fibre forum for capped for All posts.

You'll get a lot of irrelevant stuff but there will be many that will show you are wrong.

And don't be so rude. You seem to be good at it, which isn't advisable on a help forum if you get a reputation for it.

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 16-Dec-18 13:28:02
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flippery:
That backs up the ispreviiew 2016 statement. "All BT lines now support ipv6 on latest smarthub 6 or compatible router." Smarthub 4 and 5 later. date.

I never saw that - I will go back and re read it. Cheers smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to