General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Greyscout
(newbie) Thu 27-Dec-18 19:25:41
Print Post

Zen, BT, Cerberus .....

[link to this post]

We live out in the sticks in a tiny village on a cul de sac, and we are connected to a cabinet some 4kms away - so for the most part our ‘broadband’ has been pathetic, barely going above 1mbs. There was a cabinet closer but OR categorically refused to move us to it in order to improve the service.
Then two years ago I watched with big smiles as the road was dug up and fibre was put into the ducts.
For the next 2 years I badgered OR to see when I could order it. Only to be told each time that it was fttc and as we were not connected to the right cabinet we couldn’t order it. Both my neighbours were able to get it - no amount of complaining to OR made any difference.
I was paying 190 a quarter for a phone line i never use and a broadband service i had to supplement with my mobile 4G signal !!!
Then I had a moan to two OR engineers working in the road and they informed me the duct also held fttp connections that nobody had yet connected to (Not a suprise really as OR hadn’t updated their website to show it existed !!!)
The engineers were good enough to take a photo of the connection available to me - i emailed OR but didn’t even get a response.
So I did the only thing I could and emailed the CEO asking for an explanation. Within 48 hrs I had an apology and confirmation I can order fttp ( thanks OR CEO but I feel some compensation is due !!)

So I am poised ready to place my order but no idea who to go with or why. I do not want or need a landline -
BT only offer packages with one.
The only other options seem to be Zen or Cerberus - I looked at a couple of others but they seem more geared up to business rather than residential !
I also read somewhere on here that BT will want to charge 35 quid to cancel my current copper connection (dont see any reference to that in the contract i took out over 8 years ago with them so dont see me paying that !!)

So my question to the collective is who would you go with ?

Incidentally BT have emailed me to say they are ‘upgrading’ me to a fibre 50 meg fttp service free of charge ...... and i can carry on paying 190 a quarter for that !

They may have held me to randsom for the last few years because there was no alternative but they are mistaken if they think i am going to carry on being mugged !
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 28-Dec-18 20:59:49
Print Post

Re: Zen, BT, Cerberus .....

[re: Greyscout] [link to this post]

As FTTP can be upscaled I will happily pay £190 a quarter for it - send it my way

Why do you feel you should get compo? because you couldn't order a service BT are not obliged to provide? what detrimental effect or loss did you suffer as a result?

wind it in pal, you got no chance sorry
Standard User Greyscout
(newbie) Sat 29-Dec-18 23:10:49
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Well you don’t mince your words do you ?

Firstly I dont see paying 190 a quarter over at least two years for a broadband package that gave me less than I meg download is reasonable especialy when there was a much faster alternative they refused to acknowledge existed even though the houses either side of me had it.

Secondly 190 a quarter for 50 meg still seemed expensive and above the market rate, Zen are offering 150 for the same price. Which is why I came here for advice - perhaps that was a mistake ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Dec-18 00:27:31
Print Post

With that attitude, he would qualify for a Plusnet advisor!

Standard User Jax2
(member) Sun 30-Dec-18 12:21:12
Print Post

I went with Zen after BT gave both me and a friend such a nightmare runaround that I would not go with them if they paid me to. I had to contact BT's CEO to even arrange an engineers visit to connect a service as the normal channels failed to do so after multiple attempts and promises!
Anyway Zen have been absolutely fine and indeed helpful when the odd occasion has demanded it.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Dec-18 12:57:39
Print Post

Just be aware that the smaller ISPs such as Zen and Cerberus will almost certainly pass on the excess construction costs to you if they were charged by Openreach - which OR do charge on a small proportion of native FTTP activations. The costs can range anywhere from £100s to £1000s. However BT Retail would almost certainly waive these charges (due to their size) so i would go with BT for peace of mind.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 30-Dec-18 13:35:40)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 30-Dec-18 18:54:45
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Excess construction costs are rare...

If the trees are on the posters own property then some pruning ahead of time will avoid any worries.

Also if ecc needed to be paid you would be warned before the work was carried out, so you can approve it or say no.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Dec-18 19:13:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Excess construction costs are rare...

If the trees are on the posters own property then some pruning ahead of time will avoid any worries.

Also if ecc needed to be paid you would be warned before the work was carried out, so you can approve it or say no.

Yeah I know ECCs are quite rare on native FTTP installs, but people (especially those in rural areas) signing up with one of the smaller ISPs should be made aware of them, no matter how small the probability. I've already come across a case on TBB forums where someone was forced to pay ECCs of a few £100 on a native FTTP activation with one of the smaller ISPs - pretty sure BT Retail would have waived any ECCs had the person gone with them instead.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 30-Dec-18 19:14:04)

Standard User Jax2
(member) Sun 30-Dec-18 19:42:53
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

It is not just small ISPs like Zen who might charge (they did not for me when trees had to be pruned) but BT can and do charge as well. There is a guy up the road from me who is building his own house who is being charged by BT a couple of thousand to run an FTTP cable all of 10 metres from the road and into the guys house through an underground duct. The guy building the house is digging the trench and putting the ducting in himself all according to BT spec including the blue string. The fibre is already running along BT poles from the nearest node which is nearby. When the owner/builder complained about the price he was told an engineer (or may have been told two engineers, I can't remember) had to be present to connect things up hence the charge.
Standard User Greyscout
(newbie) Mon 31-Dec-18 13:08:33
Print Post

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

All thank you for the very useful information. Our FTTP manifold is underground with a distribution pole right next to it. My current copper cable adsl is fed from that pole which is situated on the corner of the property. So in theory there shouldn’t be any need forexpensive connections.
I would prefer not to have a landline at all but BT font offer that as an option however Zen do but it only reduces the monthly cost by two quid !
If i have understood the options correctly i can keepmy existing copper land line or have voip with my fttp broadband.
Are there pros and cons with each ?
I know nothing about voip but i assume it will require a different handset if i decide to use the landline innthe future ?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to