General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Alucidnation
(regular) Tue 05-Feb-19 08:55:10
Print Post

BT Vs Plusnet

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,

Contract is up for re newel with my current provider Plusnet and have been skim reading a few deals.

I have sort of narrowed it down to staying with Plusnet or jumping to BT.

Question is, am i better off staying put?

Must admit that PN have been brilliant with sorting out my previous issues and they are around £7/ month cheaper than BT with the current deals they both have on offer for near enough the same product.

Is BT network better than Plusnet?

I know PN have always been seen as the budget provider, but i can't really see anywhere else they could save money, other than investing in cheaper equipment etc to run their network.

Thanks all.

smile
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Feb-19 09:27:56
Print Post

Re: BT Vs Plusnet

[re: Alucidnation] [link to this post]

Can only speak from my experience, others may differ.

After being with Eclipse ADSL since 2003, last autumn I decided to see what fibre might cost me - didn't really need it but at least worth investigating. I'd had my land line with BT (and its predecessors) here and at three previous homes since 1970 and was very happy with it. So rang BT to see what deal they could offer me for broadband.

Previously paying £14 for BB and around £8/month (+ 12 month LRS) for the land line including 24/7 calls. So in early November, after a 45 minute telephone conversation with a BT lady, I settled on a fibre deal at a total monthly cost of £9 (+ LRS), plus P&P for the hub. So a net saving of about £14 / month.

I'm happy, but couldn't see that deal available via an on-line route.

Give BT a call and see what they can offer you.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Feb-19 10:14:11
Print Post

I don't think you will see any actual differences.
BT own PlusNet but the networks are not identical.

I would not pay more to switch over to BT, only if it's cheaper.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Tue 05-Feb-19 10:52:09
Print Post

No contest for me, if I were you I would stay put provided you get the right deal. I was with BT until 2014 when they began charging £1.60 pm for their lousy BT Yahoo email service as well as over the odds for everything else. Plusnet screwed up my changeover and every renewal since then but they sort out the billing eventually. Main thing is that PN's BB service has been excellent, no outages whatever and no noticeable congestion at peak hours. Renewed in November for £5.99 pm for 35Mb fibre, plus LRA of course.

BT billing system was far better apart from being too greedy! I found call centre waiting times about the same for BT and PN. Some would say the PN Yorkshire accent is easier to understand than BT Indian but having a regional accent myself I couldn't possibly comment smile
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-Feb-19 13:37:27
Print Post

BT don't have the silly gateway system PN does - and right now if you switch you get £180 on TCB and £140 gift card. Also the HH6 is very nice indeed

I would do it just for that if I wanted a new provider
Standard User Alucidnation
(regular) Thu 07-Feb-19 13:03:35
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Thanks all.

Must admit, i have used BT internet a fair few times at other people houses and they have always had good service.

Also, what is the point of Plusnet having gateways?
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Feb-19 14:59:37
Print Post

I don't know but it's a PITA compared to infinity which just works.. i've had them both
  Print Thread

Jump to