General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DarrenBricks
(newbie) Sat 09-Feb-19 13:35:19
Print Post

Leaving Virgin (or not?) for better up speeds!

[link to this post]

Hello guys I am back with yet another house move.
Finally I can move to an area that is covered by FTTC and not only Virgin.
I have in fact had to go with Virgin for 3 years because they were the only fibre providers, but now I have full access!
Unfortunately Hyperoptic is not available otherwise I would definitely get that.
So I am looking to move provider, not that I was unhappy with Virgin, but they have terrible upload speeds.

I phoned them to cancel and they offered the following:
350mb and 20mb upload speeds for £37 a month 12 month contract with £50 one off credit.

I am wondering what is the best choice for me... is this a good deal? 20mb upload speed seems good, but I have been with Sky before and they had quite good upload speeds as well.

I usually stream from home that's why I need the up speeds!
Thanks in advance!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Feb-19 13:46:55
Print Post

Re: Leaving Virgin (or not?) for better up speeds!

[re: DarrenBricks] [link to this post]

Your upload speeds for Sky and other VDSL2 services will depend on the distance from the VDSL2 green cabinet, so it might be 20 Mbps or it might be a lot lower.

What speeds are providers saying you get when you make an order enquiry, that will give a good idea of the VDSL2 (FTTC) upload speeds

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gary333
(learned) Sat 09-Feb-19 14:07:10
Print Post

<£33 for 350mb/20mb sounds like a good deal to me. I suppose it just depends on how congested the area is.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Feb-19 17:08:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by DarrenBricks:
Hello guys I am back with yet another house move.
Finally I can move to an area that is covered by FTTC and not only Virgin.
I have in fact had to go with Virgin for 3 years because they were the only fibre providers, but now I have full access!
Unfortunately Hyperoptic is not available otherwise I would definitely get that.
So I am looking to move provider, not that I was unhappy with Virgin, but they have terrible upload speeds.

I phoned them to cancel and they offered the following:
350mb and 20mb upload speeds for £37 a month 12 month contract with £50 one off credit.

I am wondering what is the best choice for me... is this a good deal? 20mb upload speed seems good, but I have been with Sky before and they had quite good upload speeds as well.

I usually stream from home that's why I need the up speeds!
Thanks in advance!

Christ I pay £52 a month - you got a good deal there - and they are about to do 500/35 we believe (we being the people who get fed bits of info)

and FTTC is the same upload speed - you know this right?
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Sat 09-Feb-19 17:38:35
Print Post

I jumped in July 2017. Had been with Virgin from the days of Bradford Cable, 20+ years.

I also stream from home and upload speed is very important. I was on VM's 100meg service, so only 6meg up speed. I looked around, saw I could get 'up to 20meg' if I went FTTC.

VM offered me a similar deal to stay, they would give me the 350meg service, with 20 up, for a similar price - but only for 12 months, then it would leap up to whatever the full rate is.

So I said no, and went with EE, as I was already a mobile customer and would get a useful 5GB mobile data boost for taking their home broadband.

I have been getting around 56-60 down and 8-9 up since I joined them. Yes, I'm on the 80/20 product but the upload speed has always been lower than IO really wanted - but better than VM were giving me.

Last year I was visited by the local VM bod, told me a pack of lies about speed now being 200/30 standard. Offered me a package deal, but again only for one year. Of course, the speeds he mentioned were totally untrue. He also claimed they would fit fibre to the house, I've yet to stop laughing about that one !

Check a few sites, see what they reckon you can actually get before making any decision. You may find you can get almost the full 80/20, or you could be further from the cabinet and only get 28/5 at the most. (using a check on my mother-in-law's place for those figures)

EE Fibre Plus
Standard User mking90031
(learned) Sat 09-Feb-19 18:35:19
Print Post

Hi,

I am with VM and I get 377.73Mb/sec down & 21.07Mb/sec up. There no one out there that could supply me with similar or better speed at this precise moment. I do keep on checking nothing that wouldn't require me to firk out money I can't afford.

HTH,

Mark King MCP
www.mark-king-basingstoke.co.uk
Virginmedia 350Mb/sec Down & 30Mb/sec Up
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Feb-19 18:40:55
Print Post

[re: mking90031] [link to this post]

But you have 30 up in your profile?
Standard User mking90031
(learned) Sat 09-Feb-19 19:12:08
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Hi,

I have that as sometimes I can get over 25Mb/sec....

HTH,

Mark King MCP
www.mark-king-basingstoke.co.uk
Virginmedia 350Mb/sec Down & 30Mb/sec Up
Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Sat 09-Feb-19 19:32:55
Print Post

[re: mking90031] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mking90031:
Hi,

I have that as sometimes I can get over 25Mb/sec....

HTH,

Eh since when did something become 30 just because it was over 25 lol ? Explain please, and could i see a speedtest result showing 25Mbps upload . Cheers

Vivid350/20+Mbps (Standalone BroadBand Connection)
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Feb-19 21:05:50
Print Post

[re: djfunkdup] [link to this post]

someoe elsewhere reckons they are over provisioned to 36 up.. maye this is the trial for 500/35 they are on about?

I can put my mobile and my 4G home broadband connection together using Speedify and get over 70mbps upload - which is handy.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to