General Discussion
  >> Which ISP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 19-Jan-13 11:21:36
Print Post

Moving flats - 2-2.5mbit quoted

[link to this post]

I'm moving from an area where I get a good connection speed (about 13mbit, it was enough for my needs) to one with a bad connection (it's estimated to be 2-2.5mbit). It's a large residential area and all cabled up (Virgin Media and no plans currently by BT for the "local" exchange), except the block of flats I'm moving into (built 2007, I think - postcode NE29 8AT). I've sent off an enquiry to Virgin Media anyway, just in case, but otherwise looking for a reasonably priced BB and phone package. I've been with Be for years and very happy with them, but their packages are overpriced for such a slow connection. I was looking at spending £20-25 max (including line rental). I'm not too concerned about TV (Freeview will do), but Sky seems to do good deals on phone and slowband. Mainly be using the internet for Skype, emails, news sites, and updating my websites. I can live without YouTube and other streaming services. I understand the service is going to be slow, if not dodgy at times, but that will be out of a service provider's control. I'm more concerned that the customer service is good. (Which it was with Be.)

Any recommendations in terms of slowband providers with decent customer service?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 19-Jan-13 11:49:04
Print Post

Re: Moving flats - 2-2.5mbit quoted

[re: deleted] [link to this post]

... looking for a reasonably priced BB and phone package ... I was looking at spending £20-25 max (including line rental).
LOL. I think you mean "Bargain Basement". Given that I don't think line rental under £10pm is now available, and even to get to that requires up-front payment of the full year, there isn't much left for the broadband. Especially if you want unlimited, like you had on Be.

However, in view of what you rule out of your requirements, you may even get away with a quite low allowance package with unlimited off-peak. Though what exactly do you mean by "News sites"?

Sky is an option, as you suggest. There is also Plusnet, who actively prioritise VOIP. That sounds a good thing for slow lines.

Although I'm on Plusnet Unlimited, my actual usage is well under 7GB per month in peak time, despite the many hours per day I spend here and also doing other things on the net. I too came from O2/Be, (via IDNet), where I was on unlimited, so no real idea of usage at the time, and was amazed at how little I use.

I think your connection speed could well be above the estimate by the way. They usually are on ADSLx. When you are there, it is also possible that slugging the ADSL2+ you will probably get to ADSL2 or even ADSL would help.
Edit - bad link.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 19-Jan-13 11:59:56)

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 19-Jan-13 12:19:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
LOL. I think you mean "Bargain Basement". Given that I don't think line rental under £10pm is now available, and even to get to that requires up-front payment of the full year, there isn't much left for the broadband. Especially if you want unlimited, like you had on Be.

Yeah, line rental will be £13.99+, but I don't see the point in paying £20 on top of that for slowband that won't get used much, £10-15 sounds more reasonable. I'm not so delusional to expect unlimited, just not to burn money on something that I won't get much use of (£25 seems reasonable, IMO).

However, in view of what you rule out of your requirements, you may even get away with a quite low allowance package with unlimited off-peak. Though what exactly do you mean by "News sites"?

BBC News, Groklaw, The Register and a couple of others.

Sky is an option, as you suggest. There is also Plusnet, who actively prioritise VOIP. That sounds a good thing for slow lines.

Thanks for the PlusNet tip. There were a few I had actively ignored (no pun intended) due to their reputation for CS (TalkTalk, for example) and for some reason didn't consider them either. But that (about VOIP) is very useful to know.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Jan-13 01:37:54
Print Post

EE ( https://broadband.ee.co.uk/home.do#linechecker ) will offer you estimated 3 Meg WBC ADSL2+ Unlimited BB for £7.50 pm (incl. £30 Welcome Bonus) + £14 pm line rental + Off-peak calls.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sun 20-Jan-13 01:40:41)

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 20-Jan-13 03:17:09
Print Post

Happy TT customer so check it

http://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product/broadband/essent...
evening & weekends calls but make sure it is 12 month contract with 9 months discounted plus make sure to tell them give you unlimited internet at least in this period as advertised
about the 20-22£ you want to pay
Quoting around 2.7mb for your post code or 1.6 - 4mb

With VM is not any cable network (with speeds of 30-60-120 mb) for your post code so check what deals with adsl line will offer you but expect around 2-3 mb as well so is just their price if will make any difference

Bear in mind if you are with contract at previous provider they will make you a new contract after moving house so if this is the case, there is a chance make a better deal with your previous isp if you was happy

Edited by deleted (Sun 20-Jan-13 03:24:43)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 20-Jan-13 15:38:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by PSmith:
Thanks for the PlusNet tip. There were a few I had actively ignored (no pun intended) due to their reputation for CS (TalkTalk, for example) and for some reason didn't consider them either. But that (about VOIP) is very useful to know.
Have a read of this Plusnet article. It applies within the individual connection as described, and across the platform for the overall traffic. On the Essentials package there is also some specific throttling at some times, but the prioritisation is still there as well

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 20-Jan-13 15:59:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Have a read of this Plusnet article. It applies within the individual connection as described, and across the platform for the overall traffic. On the Essentials package there is also some specific throttling at some times, but the prioritisation is still there as well

That was interesting. The only two things I'd be able to use would get "priority".

Interestingly, I walked to the block of flats earlier and looks like there's a BT engineer living there (both times there has been a BT van parked up there). I imagine he/she is pestered a lot by residents.

I have thought about just using my phone, depending upon signal quality, as I get all you can eat and most of the time (even being right in the middle of an office block right now) I get H+. More than sufficient for Skype and a few websites.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 21-Jan-13 15:44:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by babis3g:
Bear in mind if you are with contract at previous provider they will make you a new contract after moving house so if this is the case, there is a chance make a better deal with your previous isp if you was happy

I just called up to cancel and Be actually made me a good offer - £9 per month if I sign up for a 12 month contract. So I think I'll stay with them. I might only get 2-2.5Mbit, but at least I know what to expect from them in terms of customer service.
  Print Thread

Jump to