General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Business)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User EnglishBeer
(newbie) Wed 12-Aug-09 11:59:27
Print Post

Opal

[link to this post]

I am looking at switching over to Opal for our business line and broadband. I can't find any reviews, forums or information on the service. Does anyone have any good or bad things to say about them? Where can I find any further information? It may also be used for online gaming.

It looks quite a good deal. £13 + per month for the line + £10 for the broadband. For the first 12 months the broadband is half price.

Our exchange is LLU.

Regards

John
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Aug-09 12:27:10
Print Post

Re: Opal

[re: EnglishBeer] [link to this post]

The business-to-business division of The TalkTalk Group
(newbie) Thu 13-Aug-09 13:31:43
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks BatBoy.

Is this the only thing anyone can tell me about Opal? I don't want to start a 24 month contract if they are rubbish.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ultra
(experienced) Thu 13-Aug-09 13:47:06
Print Post

I'm looking at them too. I can understand any reluctance, but am also tempted by low cost... Not sure a 2 year contract would be considered 'fair' by OFT if service was really poor - it is the sort of thing that one could still challenge, I believe.

One comment I got in a PM was from someone working for another ISP, who has Opal as a second line and has found it fast and reliable.

That's good enough for me, but am also considering (as I have no active landline right now) getting a free BT line install which saves 120+ quid against Opal's total charges... so I have not yet taken the plunge with either of them...

--
If you consider yourself a rural dweller, please sign the petition

See http://www.fasterbb.info/ for background.
(newbie) Thu 13-Aug-09 15:24:11
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

Thanks ultra

We already have a BT business line and broadband with AAISP. It looks like it should be a simple switchover. Nether one is in contract.

John
Standard User ultra
(experienced) Thu 13-Aug-09 17:59:26
Print Post

But from what I (think I) read, your number would change, which could be a pretty big drawback... (*)

It would be no problem for me as the landline has not been in use for 10 years, and no problem for some others if they decide to get an extra line (whether they plan to use it for outgoing calls or not).

(*) I have been back to their site to look, but cannot see anything about having to have a new number, so either it was some other firm that had that, or I imagined it, sorry!

--
If you consider yourself a rural dweller, please sign the petition

See http://www.fasterbb.info/ for background.

Edited by ultra (Thu 13-Aug-09 18:20:24)

(newbie) Thu 13-Aug-09 22:40:28
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

Our number would remain the same. Opal take over the line from BT. The downside is that after the 2 year contract ends if we wanted to go to another provider most of them can only transfer from BT, so we would have to return to BT which would then put us on a 1 year contract with them. Hopefully by then things will have changed.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Aug-09 08:54:22
Print Post

For business use consider this...

Is current provider performing reliabily? Would having something less reliable potentially cost you money? e.g. lost business, poorer contact with customers, if no then aiming for lowest price point service may be OK.

An analogy, if having an important business meeting do you use chicory coffee for refreshment? Or get something a bit better?

Opal may be cheap, but if you look at it the price is very close to TalkTalk consumer products, so its not like they are going to be giving you massively more attention than Opal does for TalkTalk retail customers.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 28-Aug-09 10:32:59
Print Post

Hi there, we are in the same situation and are deliberating whether to go for the cheper options from Opal or stick with BT becaue we know the name. Out of interest, what decision did you make and if you went with Opal - how has it worked so far?

Thanks

Lucy
Standard User Drumhum
(member) Tue 27-Oct-09 14:23:31
Print Post

Just wondering how things worked out for those who decided to go for Opal.

I signed up yesterday but feeling a little apprehensive about my decision due to Talk Talk horror stories.

I signed up because price is very good for what you get. The UK based call centre and named operatives helped too. The chap I spoke to even sent me an email for me to view as we talked. I had a "good vibe" from them I guess. Still, Talk Talk stories still haunt me!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to