General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Business)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User media100
(newbie) Mon 18-Jan-10 12:06:56
Print Post

Good Upload Speed Needed

[link to this post]

Hi there,

New to the forum, but it looked like a place to get some honest answers.

Our small business ran BT Broadband from the Hartley Wintney exchange up until 1 month ago. My colleague switched us from BT to a company called Unicom for price and a promise of a higher upload speed. It made no difference.

Currently we get 4-6 Mb download, and 0.38Mb upload. This is causing major problems as we need to remotely connect...

Can any one suggest a way of getting a higher upload?

Cheers

SD
Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Jan-10 16:23:55
Print Post

Re: Good Upload Speed Needed

[re: media100] [link to this post]

It would depend on if you have been placed on a business of home product, I would suspect the home product as this has an upload sync speed of 448k although and office connection should be up to 832k.
You can get higher upload if you exchange has any ADSL2+ (have a look at same knows and let us know what exchange you are connected to)
Other than that you will need to look at SDSL or leased line, and that will increase your costs a fair bit.
Your other worry is it is most likely you are going to be tied into a contract now you have changed providers.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Standard User Drew_M
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-10 08:33:12
Print Post

Hi

It does sound, as mentioned already, like you have been put on a residential product as opposed to a business one. Your exchange doesn't have many options, as you can see here but we can offer either single line office with up to 800Kb/s upload or bonded ADSL where we can take 2 x ADSL lines and join them together to give you just about twice the upload speed or even a full blown leased line with up to 100Mb/s in both directions! Each option comes with an increased price tag (And the 100Mb/s leased line especially so!) but brings more bandwidth and some options will include SLAs and routers.

I would be more than happy to talk you through the options if you would like. Please feel free to drop me a line.

Drew

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SSStokes
(newbie) Wed 20-Jan-10 15:51:17
Print Post

Hi Media 100,

Without knowing where you are based it is difficult to let you know what your options are. The speeds you are discribing sound like residential speeds and the upload is very slow. Depending on what is avalible at the exchange I would recommend ADSL 2+ using the 02 telefonica network.

If ADSL 2+ is not avalible then perhaps you could look at colocation and host the severs and firewall in a datacentre. This would mean all your remote users would be restricted by thier bandwidth and not the bandwidth where the servers are held!

You are welcome to contact me if any of these options sound of interest

Regards

Simon Stokes

Simon Stokes
Fluidata Account Manager
Tel: 0207 099 8988
Email: simonstokes@fluidata.co.uk
Standard User blueacid
(regular) Sun 24-Jan-10 01:31:23
Print Post

[re: SSStokes] [link to this post]

The poster lives in Hartley Wintney;
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/THHW

No LLU at all sadly, so only BT Wholesale.

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Xilo LLU - Resold C&W on MRCEN. Bliss!
Standard User iand
(committed) Sun 24-Jan-10 17:41:10
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

if they live there, then they can afford the satelight truck on the 200m drive and the data cost of said service.

IanD
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 24-Jan-10 17:42:44
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

er, that's the exchange...
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sat 30-Jan-10 10:32:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by media100:
.... My colleague switched us from BT to a company called Unicom for price and a promise of a higher upload speed....

In that case you will amost certainly be on a residential package and more importantly, tied into a very punitive 3 year contract.
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Sat 30-Jan-10 19:34:13
Print Post

My second line has a good upload speed.

You could talk to an Entanet reseller - one of the few options for office upload speed at home prices.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User SSStokes
(newbie) Mon 01-Feb-10 17:14:06
Print Post

Hi Media 100,

I have quickly checked Sam Knows a great site for checking what is avalible in your local Exchange. Unfortuanetly as other's have said there is only ADSL Max.

You options are therefore limited. The best you can do with ADSL Max from BT is to get onto an ISP who can gaurentee your contention. At Fluidata we cap elements of the ADSL Max to create a product which deliver up to 0.8 Mb/s upload at 5.1 contension. This product is still limited by distance and quality of copper.

What you can the look at is bonding these lines to get upto 1.5 Mb/s. These are not ideal solutions but given the limited services avalible the only other options appears to be fibre.

I would be happy to talk to you about the Fluidata products avalible

Regards

Simon Stokes
Fluidata Account Manager
Tel: 0207 099 8988
Email: simonstokes@fluidata.co.uk
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to