General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Business)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adamashby
(member) Thu 22-Apr-10 13:43:17
Print Post

Schools Broadband - BECTA Approved

[link to this post]

Can anyone point me to a list of BECTA approved ISPs. I've spent too long looking at their site trying to find such basic information.

As a governor at my son's primary school, I am a little shocked by a ~400% rise in broadband services for the next school year and need to try and understand if this is due to a monopolistic position of the current incumbent, or a more general issue.

I'm happy for any BECTA approved ISPs/Service Providers to contact me directly, but please be aware that I am only in investigative mode at the moment, I am not in a position to make any decisions.

Thanks,
Adam.

iMac 700 G4 750Mb MacOS 10.4.10;o2 Premium
Standard User john2007
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Apr-10 18:17:19
Print Post

Re: Schools Broadband - BECTA Approved

[re: adamashby] [link to this post]

What makes you think there is such a list?

Perhaps this is what you mean? http://schools.becta.org.uk/index.php?section=re&cat...
Standard User chris6273
(regular) Thu 22-Apr-10 18:35:41
Print Post

Not too sure what you mean but Schools tend to rent 'Leased Lines' so they are pretty secure.

My Broadband Speed Test

Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 13.0 db 10.0 db

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Drew_M
(learned) Fri 23-Apr-10 07:24:25
Print Post

As a school governor myself I can understand where you are coming from however, unless you son's school is a private school, it is likely that your Internet connection is provided by your local authority (Ours is) and therefore is a cost that you have no control over. I too was shocked by the cost of some of the IT equipment that is installed. Our school is a small village primary with ~100 pupils and when we needed a new network as part of a building project, the original spec was £120k+ of very nice stacked Cisco switches, all gigE PoE capable. Nice but complete over kill for the school and I consider to be a waste of money (We don't have anything with even a single gig interface!). I appreciate that they put things in for future proofing but we could have had some nice HP units (For example) for a fraction of the price and replace them every 5 years to keep up with technology for less money but I digress...

If you really have the flexibility to source this from where ever, then there are options but again your local authority's Children's Services will no doubt have a set of criteria that needs to be complied with, for example, speed of circuit. If the school is a primary school, you should find you can get a away with DSL (Or bonded DSL for the bandwidth/ reliability) but secondary schools will almost always be on leased lines as they need the larger bandwidth.

Looking at the Becta requirements, although we don't hold their accreditation, I believe we can meet their criteria by using a combination of our usual connectivity solutions (DSL, bonded DSL & leased line) with our firewalls of choice, the Sonicwall range, which have a range of subscription based content and malware filters (See www.sonicwall.com/uk/5145_3059.html for details). We can do this as a managed solution, meaning that we become responsible for delivering clean Internet out of a hole in the front of a box and the school doesn't need to know how.

If this is of interest and you think you can 'do it your self', I would be happy to arrange trials. On the other hand, if you would like to drop me a line, we can just compare school Internet connection costs smile

Good luck!

Drew

Standard User adamashby
(member) Thu 29-Apr-10 12:19:12
Print Post

[re: Drew_M] [link to this post]

Thanks very much for this information/response Drew. I held of responding until I had a chance to discover more about what is/was happening in my Local Authority.

It transpires that we don't have any flexibility and that the decisions have been made. Whilst the decisions are most certainly not palatable for small and/or rural schools, it seems there are some winners.

The procurement process has been onerous and taken 2 years, so I don't think there is any scope for improvement on what has been achieved.

However, what has been achieved is more than is required for our purposes, but we are stuck with it. For us, the only saving grace is that at least some of the funding for it for this year at least can come from Capital, which will help offset the pain of the increased charges.

At least we will be able to take advantage of the gold plated service if we ever need it!

Adam.

iMac 700 G4 750Mb MacOS 10.4.10;o2 Premium
Standard User adamashby
(member) Thu 29-Apr-10 12:21:40
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

That was exactly what I was looking for, thanks - I had seen it before and couldn't get back to it.

Mac Mini MacOS 10.6;o2 Premium
Standard User nycsupport
(newbie) Fri 30-Apr-10 19:31:00
Print Post

You don't mention wether you are a private school or a state school.
I work for one large authority and our schools are all part of the same Wide Area Network, and have only one service provider, and I think that the broadband feed is at County Hall, I know the Corporate one is.
I don't know if they are BECTA approved or not.
My wife works for our local authority and on speaking to the school's technician all the schools are provided by one ISP with the feed at County Hall.
ISP Representative CommanderZendo
(isp) Wed 19-May-10 19:28:53
Print Post

Years ago Becta had one ISP that provided services to all the schools in their remit not sure if it's the same today - I was Head of Operations at Prestel at the time and met with becta as part of what was then their Schools Initiative where they were giving laptops to teachers all bundled with our service.

Regards
Gary

"Confucious says, things."
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User talkstraight
(newbie) Tue 13-Dec-11 21:18:21
Print Post

Re: Schools Broadband - BECTA Approved *DELETED*

[re: CommanderZendo] [link to this post]

Post deleted by Sadoldman
Standard User updata_psn
(newbie) Tue 03-Jan-12 13:42:19
Print Post

[re: talkstraight] [link to this post]

In the interests of full disclosure, Dave aka Talkstraight might have pointed out that the site he mentions is a microsite from a company called Talkstraight (funny that). As a supplier, I'd suggest that we keep referrals to suppliers off the forum?

Dave Kelly-Hughes, Updata Infrastructure
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to